shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom duty in Australia Holy Moly!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Just wonderingwhat anyone who has imported stones or jewellery from the US has paid. I purchased a pair of diamond studs from Whiteflash for $1825 US. Fedex just rang me to tell me that the duty was $400 Australain dollars this seems rather excessive. I thought the duty was 10%. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I know once I have them in my ears I will forget all about the money but I am a little blown away
emcrook.gif

Oops I just reallised the customs is 15% on jewellery so that is why it was so much. Damm the falling Aussie dollar!!!!

BZ

Rough_Rock
I live in Germany, so I can appreciate paying duty. Unfortunately, if you want to insure something for it''s value, that is declared on the front of your package. So, customs knows what is inside and how much to charge you. I honestly can''t say that I know a way around this. Perhaps some of the online jewelers can tell you if they can ship to a dealer in Australia for you. That may decrease the amount that you have to pay in the future. Sometimes there is a break for businesses.

The other option might be flying to the states to pick-up the item, but then you have the cost of airfare.

I don''t think I have been much help. Your right, once you are wearing your diamonds, you won''t care. Good luck.

BZ

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results