shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom designer doesn''t accept liability when setting my stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I finally found a custom designer in my city that will set my OWN stone and works in nickel-free white gold. HOWEVER, I have to accept liability when they set my stone. Is this normal? If I decide to go this route, will insuring the diamond cover me if they chip it? (I live in Canada BTW).

Thanks for all your input!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is normal and an accepted practice. In such cases as with custom settings, you can get insurance where it covers only the stone (which will cover the setting process should anything happen to it). There are threads here about such insurance. The setter does not want to take responsibility for thousands of $$$ for the worth of the diamond when his setting may only be worth a few $K.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Agreed, that this is s common practice. Most ask you to sign a release of responsibility (waiver) after discussing the same with you.

cheers--Sharon

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, thanks guys!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
If you have insurance on the ring (for instance I have Chubb), does it cover your stone while its being re-set?

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Blingergrrrl, this is a good thread. where in Canada are you? I''m in TO and trying to pick the right person to re-set my e-ring with my new (upgraded) stone. I need to work out this insurance thing too - so I''m interested to hear what you are going to do in terms of insuring the loose stone while re-setting.

thanks for the info!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2007 11:03:50 AM
Author: mela lu
Blingergrrrl, this is a good thread. where in Canada are you? I''m in TO and trying to pick the right person to re-set my e-ring with my new (upgraded) stone. I need to work out this insurance thing too - so I''m interested to hear what you are going to do in terms of insuring the loose stone while re-setting.

thanks for the info!
I''m in Winnipeg. I haven''t even bought the stone yet so chances are you will find out what to do before me! I just wanted to find a local jeweller who could set my stone before I purchased one. :) Please update ME when you find out!
emteeth.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
hehe. okay okay!
my new stone *should* arrive today - I''m so excited I feel like pee''ing my pants!!!!!!!!! Hopefully it will arrive.

I''ve made an appt with Harold Weinstein to get the re-set ring appraised, and I''ve decided to trust the jeweler whom we''ve bought from in the past to re-set the new stone into my existing setting. They have given me thier ''word'' that they will assume responsiblity if anything were to happen to the stone while setting - which isn''t really good enough for me...so I''m going to call my insurance guy (through RBC) to see if I fax over the GIA report, they can cover me during the re-setting process.

phew.

I''ll keep you updated! :)

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 10:03:14 AM
hehe. okay okay!
my new stone *should* arrive today - I''m so excited I feel like pee''ing my pants!!!!!!!!! Hopefully it will arrive.

I''ve made an appt with Harold Weinstein to get the re-set ring appraised, and I''ve decided to trust the jeweler whom we''ve bought from in the past to re-set the new stone into my existing setting. They have given me thier ''word'' that they will assume responsiblity if anything were to happen to the stone while setting - which isn''t really good enough for me...so I''m going to call my insurance guy (through RBC) to see if I fax over the GIA report, they can cover me during the re-setting process.

phew.

Hopefully, your diamond will arrive today and hopefully you will change your mind and go to the bathroom instead of pee"ing in your pants!!! LOL

Congratulations
MWG

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
holy moly thanks. I too hope it arrives today. Nothing would be worse than sitting here all day in wet pants while my rock is stuck at the border.
26.gif

Fingers crossies!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ack! What happened?!!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 12:59:19 AM
Author: blingergrrrl
Ack! What happened?!!

Blinger, is the ACK for me? hehe. If so...a lot has happened. Got my stone (a beauty) had it reset by a local (not my tried and true jeweler) who butchered the setting. I took it to my good ol'' jeweler who is trying to salvage it.
39.gif

They wanted to start over from scratch (new setting) because they are perfectionists, but I said no - just salvage what you can.

So that''s the update if the ACK was indeed for me
2.gif

If it wasn''t...what''s up Blingerrr?
25.gif

Kareberry

Rough_Rock
mela lu, would you mind telling me who your good ol'' jeweler is? The perfectionist one. I''m in TO, but i''ve been trying to find a jeweler I can rely on for...forever...

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
My Chubb policy on my loose diamond covers damage during re-mounting; I didn''t know that until two days ago, though. Incidentally, though it may be customary for custom jewelers to not offer insurance against damages during mounting, they should at least protect against loss. Also, I know some will insure against damages.

The problem is that insurance premiums are high and the consumer winds up swallowing the added cost anyway. Purchasing your own insurance, if you don''t already have any, shouldn''t add much more to the price of the service had insurance already been included.

linzp

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 10:03:14 AM
hehe. okay okay!

phew.

Hi there! I''m in the Toronto area too and I''m going to be having a stone reset as well. I have been trying to figure out if I need to insure it when I get it reset...Would you mind letting me know what RBC tells you? Thanks!!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 2:18:25 PM
Author: linzp

Hi there! I''m in the Toronto area too and I''m going to be having a stone reset as well. I have been trying to figure out if I need to insure it when I get it reset...Would you mind letting me know what RBC tells you? Thanks!!
Hey Linz! Sorry I did a terrible job at ''keeping you posted''. Sorry!!

RBC won''t cover loose stones. gulp. They will only cover an item that you have coverage for.

In my case, my engagement ring was coverered, and I was simply swapping the center stone. In *theory* I would have some coverage on the setting during the (new) setting process, but not on the new loose stone.

I just took my chances while having it re-set...which obviously didn''t quite go smoothly. In the end, I''ll be out a couple hundred dollars for the botched set-job and the consequent re-set at my good jeweler. I don''t mind paying that.

Once this is reset, I''ll have it re-appraised and insured. Until then....fingers extra crossed!!
40.gif

Did that help at all??

linzp

Rough_Rock
Thanks! That does help. What is the likelihood of a stone getting damaged when being reset? If the risk is minimal, then I guess I won''t have to worry about insuring it. Do you know how common this is? If the setting doesn''t come out quite right, I don''t mind paying to have it fixed. But if the stone gets damaged, that is a much more expensive problem!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I agree - a very expensive problem.

The hack jeweler who did my first re-set verbally agreed that they would take responsibility if anything should happen. Thank god nothing did happen to the girdle, because after what I witnessed, they would probably claim there was nothing wrong with a chipped girdle! LOL.

But seriously, if you are confident in your jewler, then there really shouldn''t be any reason to think that the diamond will be damaged. For me, it''s one of those leaps of faith that you have to have - that the person you are trusting with your jewelry respects it as much as you do ;-)

Do you have a good jewler you can trust? If not, I am happy to recommend Bandiera to you as well as to Karebery
9.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Mela Lu, yes indeed the "Ack!" was for you.
emteeth.gif
What a horrible experience for you! And you said that the hack jeweller was a well-known one in TO? Have you found out if you are allowed to post names to warn others (my sis is out your way in Burlington)? I think I will still get my stone insured as the setting will be a custom job by my jeweler (unlike your situation) so I should only have the stone to worry about. I can't wait to see your pics of your new ring! Please try to post side-by-sides once they have fixed your ring. I still can't get over how one of your prongs wasn't even holding onto the girdle of your stone and then they actually put the prongs ON the melee halo!!! WTF??!?!! Please tell me you will report them to the BBB... :) And good luck with the new jeweler!

As for insuring just the stone, that's too bad that RBC can't ensure the loose stone (that's my main bank). It's nice that you could insure it completely as an engagment ring. I will have to get private insurance then. Sigh. Thanks to everyone who is posting about insurance, it's super informative. ...And don't worry about thread-jacking!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results