shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom cushion in the making

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
I have been in and out of PS for quite some time and after a year (or more) of deciding, I finally have committed to a 2+ cushion more rectangular than square and a custom made plat mounting, with a halo. I toyed with the idea of keeping my 1 ct and just changing my old 14k yg setting but then I decided what I really wanted was an upgrade. After 18 years of married shrinkage sets in big time. Besides I will reset my rb to wear around my neck.
I couldn''t decide between an oval or a cushion, but I knew I wanted a more rectangular halo so I went with the cushion- although I always think that the oval face up really big for their size. I don''t have pictures of the diamond yet to show you all. But I am trying to post the picture of the first CAD which wasn''t right, so they shot another one and that one cracked, and now I am still waiting. I thought I would have the ring by Christmas, but I am still waiting, I am working with a very reputable local jeweler who is making everything on the premises. I am getting a little worried because it is taking so long, but they are making another wax, and will let me make any changes to that wax and will do it again. Once I get the wax photos I will try and figure out how to post them. I am calling all halo girls to find out the size of the melee. They shot the first wax with 2pts or 2.5mm melee (I think) the second wax is going to be with 1.5mm melee. I can''t wait for you all to see it. I must say Reena''s beautiful ring was a big inspiration. Has anyone had their custom job taken forever? How long once the wax is done anybody know?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi mamchris! I have to say that the 1.5mm melee sounds much better! Quest Jewelers is making my ring and they are using 1.3mm melee. The difference is though that your center stone is twice the size of mine (at least).

It''s up to you on the size of the melee really, do you want a substantial halo?

Quest gave me a completion date of right about a month. They got done with the CAD images and wax in the same day. This was about errr 1 1/2 weeks ago? They were going to be done with my ring today, a whole week early! :) But no appraisers were going to be available which means no insurance so I have to wait a whole week more.

Feel free to look up my thread its called "Who wants to see my Jubilee/Halo CAD images?" I would link it to you but I''m on an Apple and less than apt at using it. :)

I''m sorry your ring is taking so long and I hope it''ll be the ring of your dreams when its finally complete!

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Princess V,
I did see your thread, and oh my goodness it looks beautiful, infact it was your thread that inspired me to post today, but I think this tread should get bumped to the show me the ring forum, I just don''t know how to transfer it.
I also have the CAD image from the first design and I can''t figure out how to upload the darn thing. Where is Ana, I know she is a whiz at things like this.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi mamchris! I''m so glad I inspired you to post and thanks for the compliment! If you want your thread changed to another forum you can ask the admin. Also, if you''d like you can email me your pictures.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Hello, and congrats on your upgrade. It sounds as if the jeweler is going above and beyond to ensure a beautiful ring. Patience my dear. it will all work out.

As far as melee, my stone is .747ct; and the melee in the halo is .0125 or 1 1/4 pointers. The melee in my band are .02 or 2 pointers. I think it''s a perfect size for my stone and my ring. Check my avatar.

shay

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Shay,
Just rec''d my second cad drawing. Now I have 2 and 2 waxes, which are totally different, and different melee setting ways and sizes. They are telling me that the melee in the band are going to be 2 pointers, I wanted larger to be more in proportion to my stone, I wanted about a 3-4mm band. Your ring looks great and totally done to scale. I want to post my designs but I can''t figure out how to do it.
Has anyone heard of "fishtail" set diamonds? That is how they are setting my melee in the halo- at least one option.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
E-mail PrincessV your pics and she will post them for you. Maybe you can compromise on the melee size. Perhaps 2 1/2 pointers would fill the bill for being more in proportion. I''m not sure about the fishtail. I have heard the term, but I have slept since then.
2.gif

shay

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2006 5:18:52 PM
Author: mamchris
Shay,
Just rec''d my second cad drawing. Now I have 2 and 2 waxes, which are totally different, and different melee setting ways and sizes. They are telling me that the melee in the band are going to be 2 pointers, I wanted larger to be more in proportion to my stone, I wanted about a 3-4mm band. Your ring looks great and totally done to scale. I want to post my designs but I can''t figure out how to do it.
Has anyone heard of ''fishtail'' set diamonds? That is how they are setting my melee in the halo- at least one option.
just my 2 cents....................alot of people start out saying they want bigger melee but the most elegant high end rings a la cellini, harry winston, fred leighton, neil lane use small melee on very large stones..................the delicacy of the melee is a nice contrast to a large stone. Bigger melee can make a ring look gaudy..........and can actually diminish the drama of the center stone. you are trying to create a frame for the stone not compete with it

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2006 5:18:52 PM
Author: mamchris

Has anyone heard of ''fishtail'' set diamonds? That is how they are setting my melee in the halo- at least one option.
In this context ...
38.gif
I suppose ''fishtail'' means pave with bright-cutting on the edges (no ridge of metal on the edges of the piece).

Sort of like THIS

or the band on top of the stack in the picture below:

pavebandsIV.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
However... 'fishtail setting' may also mean something radically different, and not quite so good news for tiny diamonds in a halo IMO: some triangular prongs!

I doubt they meant this, but this is one thing the name is used for. And while you may have seen an example of what the finished ring may look like, I have no clue other than you post.

Here's the thing:

3a.jpg
3a.jpg

I don't think they meant anything like this... but they are 'fishtail' settings allright.
34.gif

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Ok Girls,
Here is the 2nd Cad, I am still trying to figure out how I got this picture to upload (I hope you can see it )so I can show you the first CAD. Anyway, this shows you what I mean about Fishtail. Ana, I think you were right, with your first photo.
Any opinions please, it isn''t too late to change, because the final was supposed to be a combo of the first CAD and the second CAD, they are casting both and will cast a final one for me too.

wax2_edited.jpg

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Here''s the first Cad, you can see the difference, The melee is hugely different from one to the other. What i want to be able to do is place a thin WB next to the ER and have it sit flush with this design you cannot do that, it isn''t high enough.

3810-a_edited.jpg

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Well another month has gone by and I made some changes and I saw the casting today. It looks really good, I am just having a hard time imagining this with the stones in it. My jeweler has been so accomodaing and has let me see the entire process which I love, that is why I picked a local jeweler. My only concern now is if the band is a little too wide. There will be millgraining, but they tell me that it can be taken down some in the end.

DSCN0802.JPG

mamchris

Rough_Rock
And here is another picture, this ring isn''t cleaned or polished yet.

compressed4.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results