shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushions and Settings Oh my!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

portia

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Everyone,

I''ve been a long time lurker here on Pricescope. It''s been extremely helpful to me in my quest for a pendant and stud earrings. Now my BF and I are looking for an engagement ring (he posted under my login last week about cushion cuts) and I''m more confused than ever.

I was all set... had my mind made up... I wanted a 2c stone on a shared prong ring like this... (not sure who''s ring this is but it''s absolutely gorgeous!!).

So we go to visit a jeweler we''ve previously worked with in Chicago and he shows us this AMAZING cushion that just blew away the rounds he showed us. We moved around the room into different lighting and the cushion was always more sparkly and brilliant than the rounds. The issues I''m having is 1) it''s smaller (visually) than what I originally wanted (it looked close to the same size as a 1.8 RB) and 2) what type of setting do you put a cushion in? Can you put it in a shared prong setting or does it need to be in a more antique style setting? I did not want an antique looking ring but I tried on this setting (see next post) and it looked gorgeous on. However, it has a round CZ in it. Will putting a cushion in it completely change the look of it?

Sorry so many questions, but I''m just so confused!

Thanks in advance!

sharedprong_6.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
This was the setting that I tried on to *potentially* hold the cushion.

new-4.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry! This is the last one. I just saw this one today (the middle setting). Comments? Suggestions?

Graff-01.JPG

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Really, you can put your beautiful cushion cut diamond into any setting your heart desires!! I really like the idea of putting a cushion into the shared prong setting in your first post... it will be a change from the usual Brilliants that we see in those settings (btw, the ring you posted belongs to Demelza). I also like the second setting you posted as well, and I don''t think that it will change the look of the ring too much. Which setting do you like the most?
30.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
What a positively delicious dilemma. I love the idea of the shared prong with the cushion. As far as the stone shape and size, if you saw it and love it, go for it. I like that it was so sparkly that it gave the RB''s a run for their money. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shay

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks bling*diva* for your response!

I love the first setting. The second setting was really beautiful, too. The only problem is that I wouldn''t be able to wear a wedding band with it. The jeweler suggested getting a shared-prong eternity band for the right hand to wear as my wedding band (as I know some girls are doing now), however I have other rings that I like to wear on that finger. I only want one finger out of commission, not two!
emwink.gif

It''s difficult to tell what the third setting is... shared-prong, bead set, not sure??? I guess I like rings that don''t have a lot of metal, just lots of sparklies!
emteeth.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OKAY whose ring is that first shot? I LOVE IT! It looks familar...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Looks like the Memoire setting...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 7:57:31 PM
Author: portia
This was the setting that I tried on to *potentially* hold the cushion.
OHHHHHH ILOOOOOOVETHAT!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Portia, it looks like the ring in the third picture might be either pave'' or bead set. I think that the shared prong setting would be
30.gif
30.gif
with a cushion cut diamond!!! If you decide to go with a shared prong setting, Signed Pieces has some beautiful settings, and they do great custom work. A few people here on P-scope have gotten settings from them. In fact, someone recently posted a custom shared prong set with Pink Sapphires they got from Signed Pieces (I posted the link below). Here are some links to the rings and Signed Pieces website... enjoy!!!

Mara, the ring in the first pic is Demelza''s beauty also from Signed Pieces!!!
30.gif

Signed Pieces Website

Demelza''s Ring

Looking4Carats Ring

Economan7 Signed Pieces Ring with Pink Sapphires

portia

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, I saw the shared-prong pink sapphire & diamond ring earlier today. I was totally drooling over that! Sounds like everyone is in agreement that the cushion would look great in the shared prong setting.

We were at a B&M store and were looking at round stones and their shared prong setting (different store than we where we found the cushion I mentioned in my first post). We asked about putting a cushion in that setting and they said that you wouldn''t want to do that because the diamonds in the setting would out sparkle the cushion. That''s when I got really confused about what to do with a cushion, but I guess their cushions aren''t very good.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ha! They clearly didn''t understand what kind of cushion you''re considering... Love all the setting posted.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I definitely think you can put a cushion cut with round brilliants!!! I think a cushion would look great in a shared prong or pave setting. It''s a classic combo!! And I don''t think the setting needs to look antique. Can''t wait to see the pics whatever you decide.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the second setting but I also LOVE antique jewelry. I think a cushion is a great way to go. I love that they are more unique.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 8:43:43 PM
Author: Mara

Silly girl! You should know that's my ring!!
9.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I don''t think that the rounds in a shared prong setting would sparkle more than your cushion!! Especially since your cushion sparkled more than the rounds you looked at... whatever you choose, it will come out beautifully!! Don''t forget to let us know which type of setting you choose!!!
2.gif

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi Portia

You lost a heart to a cushion? Join the club!
9.gif

Have you been to Harry Kotlar''s site? He sells the Kotlar Diamond and has a few beautiful settingsin his gallery. The site is: http://www.kotlarcushiondiamond.com/home.htm

I attached a few of his settings. None look like a shared prong, but you get the idea...

Maya

kotlarcushion.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 9:31:38 PM
Author: Demelza

Date: 9/26/2005 8:43:43 PM
Author: Mara

Silly girl! You should know that''s my ring!!
9.gif
I thought it looked familiar.
31.gif
It looks fab there.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few more settings! I have kept these pics when I was looking for a cushion. After I found my cushion, I decided to go with a elegant, and classic solitaire platinum setting. But these are still yummy!

Maya

cushionsetting.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Oohh a cushion will look good in a shared prong setting - Demelza''s ring is stunning, as are a lot of similar eternity-style rings here.

I don''t think that a pave setting will detract from the cusion though.

By the way - where did that delicious pic of the blue rings came from?

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think the rounds would detract...look how many pair pave with emerald cut or asshers?! it still results in a beautiful ring. i LOVE that spilt shank cushion, thats pretty much my dream ring
1.gif
I''ve had it saved for a while now....but you have lots of great options before you! Good luck in your search!

portia

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas. Hmmm... I still don''t know about which setting to get, but I think I''m a cushion girl! It''s so funny... I was absolutely set on a RB. Amazing how you can become so attached to a stone! We''re going to go take another look at it this weekend (and maybe walk out with it) :)

The blue stones (not sure what they are) came from Graff''s website. Serious bling to be seen there! www.graff.com

Demelza, your ring is so beautiful!!

I love split shanks, too, but what do you do about the wedding band? You''d have to wear it on your right hand?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
The bottom left Kotlar is so cool b/c I've been wondering if that's possible..it's not a halo...but it's like the basket extends just a weeee bit with diamonds in there...no doubt gives the appearance of a larger stone like a halo...but it's just just a tiny bit of extra bling...although I am a bit partial to the beautiful three stone cushion LOL
10.gif

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Another beauty from antiqueengagementrings.com

Cushion A.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...But that was only a temporary setting....1 year later
41.gif
.. I''m still looking!

mrfourpointo

Rough_Rock
My personal favorite.
4.gif

RCD-1334-005.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate that you all took the time to post your thoughts and ideas.
emsmile.gif

We''re going on Saturday to look at the stone again and we''re bringing a camera. So as soon as we take some pics we''ll post ''em for you all to see.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results