shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion vs. Asscher- Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
So, I thought I was decided on the cut I wanted for my ring months ago. I had my eye on the Tiffany''s Novo (cushion cut with a "diamond band"), very simple. I even tried it on in the store in Manhattan (wayyyy out of the price range but stunning). Then i got turned onto the pave with stones all around by my mother; she saw an ad for Tacori rings in a local magazine. So of course, I went back to Tiffany''s. They had the Legacy and the Legacy with "Graduated Side Stones", loved them and they were cushion cuts.

Fast forward, the BF and I are going to see a jeweler in Southampton (NY), so I bring print outs of those rings. She''s awesome and did a super job on our friends e-ring (solitaire princess, 2.07 ct.). She''s GIA graduate and a designer. Anyways, I showed her the printouts and she was said they looked more Asscher than cushion to her. I had heard of Asschers in passing (mostly from the gossip websites) and I was intrigued. They are gorgeous cuts.

Now I''m having difficulty choosing between them!! I really like both of thems. But from what I''ve seen, an Asscher really should be on the big side to appreciate the steps. And my boss got a cushion e-ring and for some reason it just doesn''t "sparkle" like it should. I kinda know what the price range is, so we''re looking around 1.5-2 carats with higher qualities.

Long story short, I need some help/advice/opinions from my PSers!!!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
What a good problem to have! Both shapes are gorgeous when they are cut well. I would suggest having your jeweler call in a couple options in each shape and just seeing which stone sings to you. You really can''t go wrong!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Is one of the settings your favorite? Since you''re torn between cuts, maybe start with the setting and figure out which stone looks best in it. Your jeweler will be a great resource here, especially if you click well. If all else fails, just keep trying them on until something just seems perfect!

(FWIW, I''d go asscher, but my own dilemma was asscher vs. emerald. Step cuts = <3)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi CourtlynB,

There are a few different flavours of asschers (royal, regular, octavia) and cushions (modern vs vintage) out there so take a look around the PS diamond boards to realy figure out what you like.

If you re-post this question in rocky talky you will probably get more detailed advice. Chunky Cushion Lover knows lots about cushions and Karl K knows all about asschers.

What ever shape you choose, the most imporant thing is to get a stone that is cut for light performance, not for weight - I bet you''re boss''s cushion doesn''t sparkle because it doesn''t have the best cut. (note that cut is not the same thing as a diamond''s shape, polish, or symmetry, but that an excellent cut is the result of a combination of the stone''s facets being at exactly the right angles to return light)

Cushions that have been cut for light performance can sparkel like mad vintage and modern cushions, but so can the asscher. (These videos are from Good Old Gold in Long Island NY)

Definately check out the engagement ring eyecandy folder over in show me the ring/show me the bling - lots of examples of all kinds of asschers and cushion cuts.

Note that asschers usualy face up smaller (don''t spread out on the hand as much) than other diamonds because of the depth of the cut, but I think asschers are super classy!

Welcome to PS

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments! I''m going to re-post this in Rocky Talky.
1.gif

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments! I''m going to re-post this in Rocky Talky.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results