shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Specs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
What are the "ideal" range specs for a cushion. I tried to use PS''s advanced tutorial but i couldn''t find any stats for this shape?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
MMM would be a good person to talk to, but in general, I think the numbers for cushions are much more subjective than RBs. That''s why you can''t find any set "ideal" standards.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. But, isn''t there some range of table/depth that i migh want to stay inside of when i''m searching?

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI Lulu,
Part of the charm of a cushion is the fact that no two look exactly alike- this precludes having "ideal" specifications. There are lovely cushions with 50% depth, and great stones with 74% depth.
YOu can have a very small table - or a larger one, and still have a dynamite diamond.

Cushions can look almost round, or almost square- or they can be rectangular.
A cushion can be faceted with large mirror-like facets, which makes it look like an older stone- or it can be faceted more like a modern brilliant.
Neither is "better" it''s all a matter of personal preference.

I hope this helps!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2005 11:31:36 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren

Neither is ''better'' it''s all a matter of personal preference.

I hope this helps!

True enough. Among the mayhem, allot can be said about shape (lots of different beasts are called cushion and details start making a difference on larger diamonds) and in general, the brighter the better. Perhaps it is brilliance that remains the one thing to look for regardless of shape. Not sure if this helps more.... Like David says, you''ve got a few dozen facets that need to work together to make that brilliance happen. Table & depth numbers are not very useful describing that.

There are folks who do not insist having brilliant diamonds at all - for them it is more about shape or something totally unexpected (imagine someone who prefers briolette and rose cuts - what they might have in mind for quality checks). But I don''t think that party could win a majority vote among diamond buyers any time soon

2.gif

What I am trying to say is bad news: it doesn''t work to choose a diamond from a database. Perhaps one could narrow down choice if you know what to expect from the cuter who made them or the prevailing tweaks of proportions available at some point. Someone who buys diamonds all the time may guesstimate like that, especially if this is not the one and only beloved rock they need - but I do not have this sort of insight, so... no reason to go for table & depth looking for a cushion brilliant.

38.gif

Maybe some shortcuts work - the cut of the crown gives some of the ''look'' (does not determine brilliance, technically... but...) - so I''d know to look for a large or small table with a certain look in mind. And then, you have the size recorded on lab reports so size and price can be put in balance.

Just my 0.2. I find the limited data in www databases frustrating.

Too bad there are so few places to look for as little as decent pictures to go with diamond stock. Aside the few small shops who care to present diamonds with care, these guys line up a hundred or so diamonds of various shapes and sizes with pictures and stats... but no prices this time!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
oh dear. that sounds like i am in for a daunting search. it''s hard for me because it seems that where i''m located, washington DC, i can''t find a large variety of diamonds to see in person to start to get a feel for what my personal preferences even are. i have had tons of gorgeous rings to envy here on PS, but until i try somethings on, i just don''t know.

also, to update, my BF and I have about a $6k budget and i''m really fond of the halo style. however, these settings are a bit pricier than a more simple style, so that definately cuts into the stone budget. i''ve found my love poking about here on ps (that kind of effort thrills me to no end) and someone suggested on one of his posts that he concentrate his budget on getting a quality center stone. now that has sort of thrown me and i''m thinking that might not be a bad idea. instead of getting a stone upgrade, like so many others, maybe in a year (less) i could get a sparkly, beautiful, wonderful dream setting update??? My BF has been wonderful and saved $$$, no easy task being in school and now i am gainfully employed at my first real job and he is still searching in a rather tight job market. our financial situation should be much improved in a years time, eventhough now it is ridiculously tight...

as for the center stone, i''m a huge fan of the softer, elongated look of an oval and thought that cushions sometimes come in a less square more oval shape? this isn''t turning into a question, but more like a venting of confusion.

so let me see if i can get some advice out of this posting:

Do cushions come in more oval shapes and if so how would i describe what i want to a jeweler so he understands me?

Do you think it''s a good idea to focus most of the $6k on the stone and put off the sparkly halo setting for a little later?

HELP!!!!

and the funny thing is, i started this whole process thinking that i knew exactly what i wanted. go figure

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
also:

do specs apply better to an oval cut, because it is more similar to a RB?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Stretch- ya flatter me too much :)

My approach would be to focus on the stone...and upgrade the setting later. It''s all about the stone for me personally...

And LOL Ana "What I am trying to say is bad news: it doesn''t work to choose a diamond from a database."...isn''t that the truth!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Lulu,
cushions are not all that common, so it''s unlikeyl you''ll get to see very many in any one physical location.
Specs of an oval, or RBC? Does not really relate to either neccesarily.
I''d suggest focusing on the diamond to start, and ring afterwards- although if you can find a seller that offers both, you''re in the best postion.
Be persistant- sometimes I can search fruitlessly for a month, only to find the stone on day 31.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the words of encouragent david.

i am definately going to stick to this search
emstar.gif
it''s fun, though i fear that i''m becoming bling obsessed.

i''ve noticed that a lot of people are purchasing stones that have an H color. to the novice researcher that seems quite far down towards the yellow scale, but in so many of the photos those stones sparkle SO white
emlove.gif

is color something that you have to be more concerned about with an oval/cushion?

also, PSer''s seem so concerned about getting the best cut, so that really is something that can''t really pin down with cushions and ovals...

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
try searching for cushions on this website. MMM got her gorgeous cushion from him. When you look in the database make sure you select ''exellent'' on both polish and symmetry. You will find cushions that have a pattern that is similar to a round brilliant. Which probably means the stone wil preform as good as an ideal round... and then go see the stone.
Blue Nile has them too, that website shows the certificate, and you can compare the pattern with a round, as I understand both vendors use the same database.

fancy shapes hold more body colour (experts please correct me if i''m worng), so its easier to see colour in the stone, but it really depends on how coloursensitive you are. (i think)

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I have recently posted about a cushion cut diamond I purchased from an online vendor. (If you search on my name you will see several post and where I started my search).

I started out by using a combination of the AGA chart for Ovals and Radiants, since I wanted a rectangular cushion. I soon gave up that idea and concentrated more on the spread, since next to cut, size is also very important to me.
2.gif

I received the stone on Saturday (9/10) The GIA sertificate called it a modified rectangular brilliant The cushion is a G, VS1, T=63.1, D= 64.1% Ex Pol, VG Sym, no culet....it is a beautiful stone and of premium quality - but I could just not love it!
39.gif
It displayed a dark cross in the centre in certain light conditions. and I did not like the relative large - to me - table. I changed my mind a million times about keeping her or returning her.
8.gif
My appraiser said that it is an excellent stone and explained the dark cross etc. to me.

Anyway, on Monday I e-mailed another vendor and told him what I did not like in this stone and what I would like. That same day he shipped another cushion from NY to an appraiser in Seattle - with the assurance if I don not like the stone, he will pay for the appraisal as well as the shipping.

The GIA certificate classified the stone as a cushion brilliant (I don''t have it in front of me) She is a G, VS1, T=56%, D=64.1, Pol G, Sym G, no culet and the same spread. I took one look at the stone and LOVED her.
30.gif
30.gif

My point is - every cushion is different, and you won''t know if you like it or not, unless you saw her perform in front of your eyes. I loved the photo that the first vendor send me, but I just could not like the stone. My advise is to look at different stone posted on PS and compile your own criteria based on what you like gice special attention to the facet pattern as well as the spread.

I am returning the first stone and hope she will find somebody to love her to death!

PM me if you want more specifics and who I got my Lovely from

Maya
36.gif

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Maya Moonstone...it was love at first sight for me and my cusion. All the spec. question went out the window when I saw that cusion, I can''t remember what was on the certificate, all I know was I love that stone and that''s the one!! Keep looking, you''ll find your dream cushion
2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2005 9:14:01 PM
Author: Maya Moonstone
The GIA certificate classified the stone as a cushion brilliant (I don''t have it in front of me) She is a G, VS1, T=56%, D=64.1, Pol G, Sym G, no culet and the same spread. I took one look at the stone and LOVED her.
30.gif
30.gif

Maya
36.gif

I wondered what you had decided. Please post pics when you have them!!!!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2005 11:31:36 PM
HI Lulu,
Part of the charm of a cushion is the fact that no two look exactly alike- this precludes having ''ideal'' specifications. There are lovely cushions with 50% depth, and great stones with 74% depth.
YOu can have a very small table - or a larger one, and still have a dynamite diamond.

Cushions can look almost round, or almost square- or they can be rectangular.
A cushion can be faceted with large mirror-like facets, which makes it look like an older stone- or it can be faceted more like a modern brilliant.
Neither is ''better'' it''s all a matter of personal preference.

I hope this helps!
I am a little confused...I was told by a jeweler to reconsider leaning towards a rectangular cushion cut cuz it would not have the same amount of brilliance as a more square one...yet, if I read your response correctly here, that may not necessarily be true? Yea, I am confused...I know I am new around here, but isn''t it how well the diamond is cut that determines the value? I personally have been leaning towards a more rectangular shape cushion and would love this cleared up for me please...thanks...

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Deanne,
In my experience, the best rectangular cushions can have just as much brilliance as the best square ones....Follow your dream!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2005 2:13:25 AM
Hi Deanne,
In my experience, the best rectangular cushions can have just as much brilliance as the best square ones....Follow your dream!
Thank you SO much for an amazingly swift reply!
emwink.gif
I just started actively searching and today took my breathe away...I will stay focused and search until the right diamond says, "you found me!" I know its out there and I just have to find it...

Is it possible to find what I am looking for on a modest budget of somewhere around $12K? I would like to have platinum this time. I am willing to trade in my current .71 point center stone which is a VS2 princess cut and 4 baguettes and 2 side rounds of a total of 1.41 carat weight SI1 clarity and all are G color. I have all the original paperwork to support this. I don''t want an elaborate setting. Just 1/2-3/4 single pave with engraving for the rest of the ring with the star being the center stone. I KNOW what I want...I just have to find the stone and the rest will follow...but is this budget doable or am I living in a dream state?

Please tell me there is hope!
emembarrassed.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results