shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion/Radiant Cut Specs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I''ve been at PS for a few months now, and I''ve just begun a new fascination with cushion cuts. Since I spent the last few months obsessing over RBs, I''ve got a lot to learn about the cushion cut of my dreams, before April, when we buy my engagement ring. Tomorrow we are hitting some local stores (Adiamor, Robbins Bros.) and hoping to get to Spencer & Spencer sometime soon, not to purchase- but just to see what the cushions look like in person, and on my hand. I am also interested in radiant cuts as well, and will also be trying these on- if i can find them.

My question is this: If I am looking for a more rectangular cut in both the cushion, and the radiant, what specs should I keep my eye out for? I know the radiant is already rectangular, but the cushions come in many different ratios. Around what length and width should I look for, regarding a rectangular cushion? I ask this because I don''t see many specs on cushions of my preference. I;m looking for a cushion (or radiant, preferably cushion) with these values: a G-I color, (possibly J, if it looks good), Ideal/Premium cut, a VS2-SI1/2 (eye clean, of course), .075 to 1.05 carat weight.

What kind of measurements should I look for? Thank you SO much.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
If you find even ONE cushion cut or Radiant with "ideal" cut, then buy it, because you won''t find it again. fancy shapes can never be ideal. Diamonds are hard enough to cut, that even the best cutters can''t cut "ideal" with much consistency in fancy shapes.

so, first thing is first, look for Very Good and be happy to even find that. Cushions should look pleasing to you, so any ratio under 1.05 will be considered square. To find the ratio of Length to Width you just need to divide length by width (shorter side) and round to the nearest hundredth. Emerald shapes are usually preferred from 1.20 to 1.75:1. I assume that falls close to rectangular radiants. although some people actually like ratios closer to 1.1 it''s something you need to try on yourself to see your magic ratio.

Good luck!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Nicrez!!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 3:00:34 PM
Author:AmberWaves
Hi all, I''ve been at PS for a few months now, and I''ve just begun a new fascination with cushion cuts.

Mwahaha, can I take credit for this Amber??
12.gif

As for your length width ratio question, mine is 1.96, and I read somewhere that the "classic" cushion cut was traditionally ~1.2. And it looks perfect to me!
9.gif

Hehehe, it makes me soooo giddy that you''re hunting a cushion now though!!! YAYYY CUSHIONS!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Abli, I''m going to have to blame you for this recent addiction. Darn you!!! And I love your stone. Band. Prongs. Aw, forget it...
9.gif
But it''s funny, months ago, my boyfriend actually pointed out that he liked the shape, and when I told him last night (cuddle time- I can get anything that way!) that I wanted the cushion, he said and I quote, "Ahahaha." He''s actually very excited, but told me last night- "Now, remember, you''re going to wear this forever." And I looked at him and said, "Well, maybe not forever...."
31.gif
He said "Oh, that''s right, your trade up... I forgot." Ha ha! A cushion will be mine. Do you know where your FI got yours? I love it.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 4:14:57 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Abli, I''m going to have to blame you for this recent addiction. Darn you!!! And I love your stone. Band. Prongs. Aw, forget it...
9.gif
But it''s funny, months ago, my boyfriend actually pointed out that he liked the shape, and when I told him last night (cuddle time- I can get anything that way!) that I wanted the cushion, he said and I quote, ''Ahahaha.'' He''s actually very excited, but told me last night- ''Now, remember, you''re going to wear this forever.'' And I looked at him and said, ''Well, maybe not forever....''
31.gif
He said ''Oh, that''s right, your trade up... I forgot.'' Ha ha! A cushion will be mine. Do you know where your FI got yours? I love it.

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
I''m so proud! Hehehe. And your boyfriend sounds so cute!! I like him even better knowing he''s a cushion fan too! Smart guy!
10.gif

And nothing wrong with upgrading! As long as it''s just the ring, not the fiance!
2.gif
[I have a friend with a serial boyfriend-upgrading problem...she always gets to the point of discussing when they should get engaged and they start to abstractly plan their wedding...and then she breaks up with him for someone better!
20.gif
]

My fiance (oh man I still love saying that!
9.gif
) talked to a bunch of jewelers in NYC and ended up getting my cushion from Michael C. Fina (where he also got my setting), since this was the one that called to him the most. I don''t think he looked online at all. Cool thing is, he didn''t even realize that this one had such a good spread that it looks so much bigger - he chose it based solely on it''s sparkle and fire!
9.gif
Okay time for me to stare at it some more now....

But yes, so excited for you!!!! Report back with LOTS of detail on your shopping trip this weekend!!!! Good luck!!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results