shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Question for Cehrabehra and Others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 2:21:32 PM
Author: boston_jeff
It basically comes down to the fact that any grading system based on numbers should be questioned thoroughly, and without disclosure by the grading entity as to what the criteria are you can''t really trust it to sort stones for you. The fact that your stone would get penalized is case in point.
another thing... you should see these guys argue over GIA vs AGS for rounds.... check out some of these threads - the girl in tears thread.... is her stone ideal? is it not ideal?

There is NO grading system out there that is immune to questioning - nor should there be. Not to mention, the more you hone "ideal" the more you ignore different flavors or varieties of performance.

I''ve seen some argue that they don''t *want* cushions "figured out" because right now one of their biggest plusses IS their variety!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, I''m just hoping the vendor can call in the stones I have found on other websites, to avoid the issue entirely.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 1:59:48 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I have to break this up into bite sized bits and I''m lousy at addressing things in order so.... LOL
cehra, this thread http://www.pricescope.com/forum/faq1/how-to-quote-and-edit-quotes-t55287.html may help with breaking down quotes, so you don''t have to post all of your thoughts in separate posts. unless you just want to get your post count up, then cool
2.gif
...excuse the interruption!
34.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 2:56:32 PM
Author: belle

I have to break this up into bite sized bits and I'm lousy at addressing things in order so.... LOL
cehra, this thread http://www.pricescope.com/forum/faq1/how-to-quote-and-edit-quotes-t55287.html may help with breaking down quotes, so you don't have to post all of your thoughts in separate posts. unless you just want to get your post count up, then cool
2.gif
34.gif
LMAO!! I'm a chatterbox enough without needing to artificially try to up it... (good idea though ;-) haha) anyway.... I know about editing stuff out and removing quote boxes etc. but I don't like putting my thoughts in red usually - I mean I will sometimes, but it can look confusing, especially after the next person quotes...

so you wrote this:
you can also use HTML tags to quote by simply 'highlighting' (click and drag mouse) the words you want to quote and copy (ctrl+c) and pasting (ctrl+v) them into the reply box. then adding QUOTE ( word must be all caps) in brackets [ ] at the begining of what you want to quote and /QUOTE in brackets at the end of the quote.
and I am going to experiment to see if that html works the way I would expect it to, because that could be nice... I always wondered how people would make it so they had like 10 little blue boxes they reseponded to without typing IN the blue box. I hope that worked.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay I got it to work finally LOL weird that it uses [] kind of brackets for html instead of <> type... I had to redo it a few times, but very handy - thanks belle!!!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
This is becoming quite the all-purpose thread!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 3:20:17 PM

LMAO!! I''m a chatterbox enough without needing to artificially try to up it... (good idea though ;-) haha) anyway.... I know about editing stuff out and removing quote boxes etc. but I don''t like putting my thoughts in red usually
i didn''t mean put them in red....just getting the part of the quote you want to address and then typing after it. like this!

I mean I will sometimes, but it can look confusing, especially after the next person quotes...
i understand what you mean about it getting confusing...that is why i made that faq post. i was trying to help keep things unconfusing! now, i don''t think i did so well!
37.gif

I am going to experiment to see if that html works the way I would expect it to, because that could be nice...
when you use the html tags, they have to be in all caps
2.gif
make sure you always bracket [ ] and be sure to use the / (backslash) at the end.

I always wondered how people would make it so they had like 10 little blue boxes they reseponded to without typing IN the blue box. I hope that worked.
if you are quoting the same person, you can just keep hitting that same ''quote'' button and edit out the parts you are not using.
if you want to put different quotes from different people in your reply, just copy what they said and paste it into your reply box and add the html quote tags around it before you add your reply.

anyway...i really wasn''t trying to threadjack, i was just trying to be helpful! so please, carry on with the search!

all the best

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 3:28:38 PM
sorry boston_jeff. i have been following your search and she had mentioned the quote thing in a previous post, so i was just trying to help out.
back to cushion searching!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 3:33:33 PM

sorry boston_jeff. i have been following your search and she had mentioned the quote thing in a previous post, so i was just trying to help out.
36.gif
actually it was very helpful! I''m glad you posted it :)

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock

36.gif

Belle, what are you apologizing for?!? I was excited that you joined in! I probably should have added a
3.gif
or a
37.gif
to make that more clear. I am so happy with the response to this thread and to see that long-time PSers have taken an interest in my search. Please post opinions, html tags, random facts, whatever!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
The cert on that one has it as a modified brilliant, though; if that is correct, isn''t this the "crushed ice" plot rather than the 4pav main brilliant?

Either way, it does show the 4pav really well in the center, so it is not that hard to imagine what it would look like if not modified...

dianne

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 3/8/2007 2:56:32 PM

I have to break this up into bite sized bits and I''m lousy at addressing things in order so.... LOL
cehra, this thread http://www.pricescope.com/forum/faq1/how-to-quote-and-edit-quotes-t55287.html may help with breaking down quotes, so you don''t have to post all of your thoughts in separate posts. unless you just want to get your post count up, then cool
2.gif
34.gif
LMAO!! I''m a chatterbox enough without needing to artificially try to up it... (good idea though ;-) haha) anyway.... I know about editing stuff out and removing quote boxes etc. but I don''t like putting my thoughts in red usually - I mean I will sometimes, but it can look confusing, especially after the next person quotes...

so you wrote this:

you can also use HTML tags to quote by simply ''highlighting'' (click and drag mouse) the words you want to quote and copy (ctrl+c) and pasting (ctrl+v) them into the reply box. then adding QUOTE ( word must be all caps) in brackets [ ] at the begining of what you want to quote and /QUOTE in brackets at the end of the quote.
and I am going to experiment to see if that html works the way I would expect it to, because that could be nice... I always wondered how people would make it so they had like 10 little blue boxes they reseponded to without typing IN the blue box. I hope that worked.
Uh oh...I am one of those people who cut and pasted from several quotes and then added my comments when trying to respond to several people with one post. I didn''t know how to put all those blue boxes in one response, either. I will try this in the future. Thanks for the info.

boston_jeff, thanks for permitting us to get a bit off-topic in your post.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 3:51:34 PM

36.gif

Belle, what are you apologizing for?!? I was excited that you joined in! I probably should have added a
3.gif
or a
37.gif
to make that more clear. I am so happy with the response to this thread and to see that long-time PSers have taken an interest in my search. Please post opinions, html tags, random facts, whatever!
i felt bad for threadjacking the cushion search! but i am glad you didn''t mind and it may have been helpful.
35.gif

anyway...i will keep following along with your search. i have a soft spot for those cushions, so i am living vicariously through you!
i want to just snatch your avatar pic
11.gif

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
Any update? Inquiring minds want to know...

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 9:44:56 AM
i felt bad for threadjacking the cushion search! but i am glad you didn''t mind and it may have been helpful.
35.gif

anyway...i will keep following along with your search. i have a soft spot for those cushions, so i am living vicariously through you!
i want to just snatch your avatar pic
11.gif
You''ll have to pry it off my cold dead finger!
11.gif
2.gif
3.gif

Jeff, I''m no good at the super technical stuff, like Cehra, Diagem, and the others, so I haven''t had too much to contribute, but I wanted to wish you luck in your cushion search! Mine took months, and in the end, I think I just got really lucky. I hope you are lucky as well (though you seem to be working harder at it, so maybe you won''t need the luck!)
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
(off topic, again...
20.gif
)

you can also use HTML tags to quote by simply 'highlighting' (click and drag mouse) the words you want to quote and copy (ctrl+c) and pasting (ctrl+v) them into the reply box. then adding QUOTE ( word must be all caps) in brackets [ ] at the begining of what you want to quote and /QUOTE in brackets at the end of the quote.

OMG...this is a revelation!!!!!!
23.gif

Thanks, Belle!

(back to topic....)

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
I was just about to come on and give you guys a preview:

I should have 2 options for tomorrow, along with a basic pictures!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
On the Left:

2.64 I/SI1 (8.32 x 7.80 x 5.31) [L/W= 1.067]
Pol/Sym: VG/G
68.1% depth
60% table
slightly large culet
no flour
girdle: medium to very thick, faceted

On the Right: 2.20 H/VS2 (8.23 x 7.47 x 5.01) [L/W=1.10]
Pol/Sym: G/VG
67.1% depth
53% table
slightly large culet
SB flour(!!!)
girdle: medium to thick, faceted

Honest opinions, please, not only on the pictures but also the specs. I actually think one of these may be the one, but I look forward to your opinions before I say which one. Obviously the two face-on pictures do not really tell the story re: light return, so I am most interested in what people have to say about the overall look of the facet structure, the 4Cs, etc...

Oh, and obviously "neither" is an acceptable answer... don't just pick the one you like better... make sure to let me know whether you think it is beautiful!

boston_jeff.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t know what it is...but I like the on one the right much better. Best of luck!

widget

Ideal_Rock
OMG...how exciting!
36.gif

Well, first of all, I''d take either in a heartbeat!

I''m not techy, and can''t give you any specific reason why, but my eye first went to the one on the right. Maybe I like it''s shape a bit more. (slightly more ''cushiony'' looking, less ''roundish'')

And since I love small tables (hense deep crowns)...I''ll vote for that one.

Can''t wait to hear what the cushion experts think!

widget

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the one on the right. With the smaller table, you should get some really nice fire outta that baby. The fluor also adds to making the stone a little more white.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Ok-- so far, the right one seems to be in the lead, but no one seems blown away by it...

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Well...blown away...not quite, almost. LOL. I do really like it. Just need a few more pics.
2.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know enough to be blown away by stats and a photograph...so don''t listen to me! LOL.

Lets just say that for a dummy....I''m really impressed!
3.gif

widget

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I think you should buy the one on the left...

So *I* can buy the one on the right!!!
11.gif

Seriously, I like the one on the right much better (though they are both awesome!) My eye was immediately drawn to it. And it has...

1. Better overall shape
2. Smaller table (yes, I know I have a 60% table, but I prefer smaller)
3. Better color and clarity
4. Blue Flouresence (this was one of my original requirements in a stone, but I had to give it up when mine came along)

Now, the real question is, how do they compare in price?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 4:33:00 PM
Ok-- so far, the right one seems to be in the lead, but no one seems blown away by it...

It''s hard to be blown away by a few not great pictures. I think BOTH stones will probably look amazing with some nicer photography...but it''s hard to judge here. I have no idea why I like the one on the right...It just looks "cleaner" I guess!

Can you see both in person and compare them side by side?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to add:

Don''t second guess yourself too much! I almost didn''t get my stone because I had been looking for so long that I had gotten jaded and felt a little underwhelmed by the pics. Fortunately, I came here and people told me it looked amazing, so I decided to get it. When I think now that I could have missed out on this stone if a few strangers hadn''t validated it...
38.gif

Go with your gut!

Also, I found that getting some less-magnified diamond-on-the-hand shots really helped me to see what the stone would actually look like. Will your vendor take some for you?

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Re: price, they are close enough such that it will not make a material difference in my decision (within $500).

The additional size of the one on the left (2.64 v. 2.20ct) is balanced out by the additional grade in color and clarity of the smaller stone.

I am glad you like them, fatafelice, as your stone was one of the stones that made me know that an antique-style cushion was the one for my GF. I think the stone on the right has chunkier facets, and might look a lot like yours in person, adjusting for the relative talent of the photography of the vendors involved (i.e., your picture (my avatar) is more ''professional'' looking).

As far as seeing them in person, both is not an option (I don''t think), but one is. I will have one of these stones sent to a local independent appraiser for a pre-purchase look. The idea about seeing a picture on the hand is a nice idea...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results