shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Modified Brilliant opinions? final picks..help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lillguy

Rough_Rock
My first post here, but I love reading the posts at this site! I''ve learned SO MUCH from everyone....the time has come and I''m diving in and looking for a purchase. My g/f and myself fell in love with this Cushion cut diamond. It was at a B&M store, the second was at a "diamond district"...

Cushion Modified Brilliant
8.30 x 6.98 x 4.56
1.85 carat
VS1
Color : F
D: 65.3%
T: 63%
Thin to Medium, faceted
No cutlet
Polish: vg
Sym: vg
No fluorecence

vs.

Cushion Modified Brilliant
7.33 x 7.31 x 5.28
2.05 carat
VVS1
Color : I
D: 72.2%
T: 60%
Thin to Very Thick, Faceted
No cutlen
Polish: good
Sym: good

The first one is more expensive by $4200.00, yet side to side it looks just as big, if not bigger than the second one. Does color make that big of a price jump alone or are there other factors, my novice skills can''t comprehend? In the end I want the best and I just need ANYTHING that could push me one way or the other. Opinions? Thanks to everyone for making me a more educated buyer. I''m looking forward to getting better at this as women are meant to be loved and pampered!!
28.gif

Orange

Rough_Rock
I am far from an expert, but I am just about ready to wrap up my own cushion search. I think the reason that the first stone looks just as big as the second is that the second stone has really high depth, so you''re losing a lot of spread. Also, the first stone is probably quite rectangular while the second is more square-- it''s a matter of taste as to which you prefer.

Orange

Rough_Rock
Also, the girdle on the first is much better. The thicker girdle on the second one is probably eating up more of the diamond, further reducing the spread.

lillguy

Rough_Rock
Orange,

It looks like we''re both moving forward with the cusihions! Congrats by the way.. I also did some reading on the Girdle. I read that a lot of the carat weight can be ''wasted'' in a thick girdle that can make a smaller diamond actually look bigger!

Thanks for the info!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I haven't really been on these boards that much lately...but I"m a sucker for a cushion thread...the second stone is a lot deeper than the first...plus the girdle differences....those are probably the two main factors re: size.... Although I generally don't mind a thick girdle...it's a little waste but it's better than X thin! I'd rather have a little waste than risk chipping

It sounds like you love the first one...together with nice numbers....it sounds like a "go"..and finding very good symmetry in a cushion isn't that common- at least to me looking online. I bet it *is* a really nice make....and your eyes are telling you it is. There is no way I'd pay more just to have a 2 ct when the lower ct weight looks just as big....PLUS, that's a HUGE color difference. YOu will notice the difference. I love colorless stones...oh yeah, I wouldn't pay for an I vvs1...the clarity is an added expense and I'd use that $ to go up in color in a fancy shape.

Just my 2 cents.

p.s. I believe that clarity is more $ than color...but I bet it's not too much more than color....the b&M store just might be higher priced and also, you will absolutely pay more for a great cut. My cushion was so much more expensive than all of the others out there with the same color and clarity (comparing prices online)...it's b/c of the outstanding cut! Best o luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "F" sounds better and should be a finer cut (no overly thick girdle, reasonable depth). This, and the color difference should account for some of the price gap between the two. However, prices for the same specs vary quite a bit. Even the same stone will be priced differently between sellers. This mean that not every price difference is explicable
2.gif

That stone is large even among 2 caraters ! I would think this has something to do with price as well.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

In today''s diamond market, color is far more expensive than clarity.
That is to say: Colorless diamonds ( D-E-F) are more difficult to locate, and bring higher prices in relation to the list

That makes I color somewhat of a bargain.
Many cushions have a thick girdle- it''s part of many cushion''s personality.

Of course comparing a 65.3% depth to a 72.2% depth will make the 72 look "heavy"- but in general, a cushion can be very well cut and have 72% depth.

If you can afford the difference, go with the F.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
David- I rememeber reading here that clarity was more $. Has this been the case for a few years now? (that color is more $)

lillguy

Rough_Rock
The responses here are EXACTLY what I need to hear! I went ahead with the first stone, there was just something about it. And I do feel better knowing that the F and I color difference is the main contributor of the price.

Like most of the Pricescopers, I''m totally an Internet buyer. I just needed that extra push to tell me it''s alright to pay the extra bucks over a place that may have looked like a good deal!

I''m so glad I started reading this as I wouldn''t have know as much as I do about the newer Cushion Cuts out there. I''ve always had this image of ''duller'' stones, and I know it''s just part of the look. However, I had my heart set on a round-brilliant before I fell in love with cushions!

Now all I need to do is think of a good way to ask her!
emotion-18.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2005 3:30:12 PM
Author: lillguy

Now all I need to do is think of a good way to ask her!
A great ring is meant to make that part a breeze, no ?
9.gif

Best of luck !

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Lilguy- If you''d like to let us know the price, I could let you know if it''s in line.

Moremoremore- yes, color has had a greater effect on a diamond''s price for a long while.

That''s not to say clarity can''t have a huge effect too.

lillguy

Rough_Rock
David,

I was quoted 18,000 from the B&M store. but it was one of the places that set heirloom diamonds or diamonds they sell. I realize there is some margin there, but the setting was to amazing to pass up. It was in another state, so I saved on taxes, and I actually compared the price of the setting to a "custom" setting that I''d try to replicate and that one cost more than the B&M store...

Does that sound reasonable though. It does seem like a much better cut after hearing lots of feedback from local jewlers and PriceScopers...

Thanks for your insight!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lilguy,
It sounds as though $18K includes a ring- is that correct? Is it platinum?

$18K for a 1.85 F/VS1 that you love? Sounds reasonable to me.
In general, as in this case, you are paying about 20% more than you would from one of the better internet sellers- BUT- a lot of people would feel that it is a valid trade off becasue they want to buy in a store.
If there''s a platinum setting included at that price, that makes it an obviously better buy.

ENJOY!

lillguy

Rough_Rock
David,

Thank you for the peace of mind. I for one would prefer the internet, yet at my experience level, there are just to many variations in cusihion cuts to make a decision among so many. I found that by having the dealer look through many cushion cuts and narrow it down helped a lot as well. I did get a nice pave setting, platnium for 21 k total. I realize it''s on the high side, but there''s always that personal touch that I''m sure my fiancee will appreciate as well as finding a matching wedding band a bit more pleasing for her!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results