shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion in 17K Stone Budget

lawblonde

Rough_Rock
After 8+ years of dating, we are ready to take the plunge (I think :D ) and are on the hunt for a cushion cut for an engagement ring, with a total budget of around 17k or so for the stone itself. We have a local jeweler that we will probably use to create the setting, but after he let us know his mark-up on diamonds and spending quite a while reading up on here, I think we may be in the market to buy the stone online! While it may be a bit of wishful thinking, I am ideally looking for the following:

Cushion (I am actually having a hard time deciding whether I like antique or modern cushions more, so I am open to either!)
1.75-2 carats
G/H color
EX cut
Fine with SI1, so long as it is eye clean
Relatively square

In the end, I am looking for a cushion that will face up as large and lively as possible (but still white) within the budget. I know people have had good things to say about ERD for cushions.. is it useful to contact them to have them keep an eye out for stones that fit my criteria? We have time to wait to come across the perfect stone, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Just for reference, I have attached a few pictures of what I am thinking in terms of the setting (one is a round, but I like the idea of it). photo%202_8.jpg photo%201%20(1).jpg IMG_1033.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous settings! :love: I would definitely contact ERD if they are a vendor that you think you would like to work with. Have you considered what type of cushion that you want? They are a bit trickier than other cuts because they can have the same cut grade and color and clarity but look very very different from each other. Do you like a chunky cut, with larger, bolder and slower flashes of color, or a crushed iced look that has lots of pin flashes of light? Have you considered antique cushions or a modern antique cuts? With a better idea of the style you like we will be better able to make suggestions for you. Welcome to PS! =)

EDIT: apparently I jumped right over your post about liking both modern and antique cuts. :oops: :D

lawblonde

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, Christina! I fell in love a little when I saw that setting (but have my heart set on a cushion because they are just so beautiful), though the jeweler I've been working with has said that the stone is set very high with that one and thinks I should reconsider.

I'm not a big fan of the distinctly crushed ice look, but I have certainly seen some flashy less chunky/modern cushions that I like.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
Also give Perry at Art of Platinum a call. I was looking for the same specs in a stone about a year ago and was able to find a beautiful H/VS2 in that carat range for about $13k. Gorgeous setting choice too! Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results