shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion idealscope - should it stay or should it go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some opinions on some idealscope images I took of a cushion. The numbers looked good (okay, maybe a bit shallow?) but the idealscope image I took looks pretty lousy and I was pretty surprised at how much leakage the image shows. I'm also thinking maybe the scope wasn't focused in on it properly..i don't know!
I don't have a whole lot of experience with cushions either so although it does seem to have decent brilliancy, I can't really judge if I can find better. Help me..I'm a cushion moron!!

Here are the specs

Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 61.5%
Table %: 53%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Culet: Slightly large
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.40x5.72x3.52 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.12

My budget allows me to buy a cushion with F,G, H color but since this one was pretty reasonable due to the color, I thought I'll take a look anyway. It does have warmth to it but I can't decide if it bothers me or not. It's hard to tell when it's unset. Anyway, thanks for your help!! =)

slammie

Shiny_Rock
oops! pic would help!

idealsss1.jpg

dlg

Rough_Rock
I''m not an expert but I don''t think that the depth is a problem. I think it is really rare to find a cushion with excellent polish and sym.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like it!

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Not a great photo but here is a pic of the cushion

IMGP1221pic1.jpg

slammie

Shiny_Rock
here''s another..this was taken under yellow lightening so it looks really yellow but it shows the faceting much better.

IMGP1222pic2.jpg

dlg

Rough_Rock
How are you able to take such clear photos close up of the stone?!

slammie

Shiny_Rock
thanks Belle, dlg!!
DLG, i just use the macro mode and steady hands. It helps when the light is behind it..i.e., taken in front of a window. It would have come up better if I held it with tweezers but I was so afraid I would drop it!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry I don''t know anything about cushions- that one does look very pretty!

How is the color?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
How are you planning on setting it? Antique style setting? Halo? The yellowish picture kinda freaked me out. But it might look more antiquey that way if you were going for a vintage look.

For a halo - absolutely not. No matter how low they go with the melee, because they are so small the small stones look whiter/brighter and the center stone suffers.

We''re getting so accustomed to seeing J/Ks in ideal cut rounds ... that''s a far cry from how J/K looks in step cuts & fancy shapes .. IMHO.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
the cushion looks great too me, i''d only be concerned about the color. When I looked at cushions anything below an "H" wasn''t white enough for me. I agree with deco, the lower color might work great in a antique looking setting.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Fancy cuts don't reflect light the same way as a RB. There will be some light leakage, but that's the nature of fancy cuts, although some obviously return light better than others. The charm is in how they shimmer and scintilate as they move. I'm not an expert, but I think that cushion is GORGEOUS! I love the length to width ratio -- not square, but not overly narrow. I also like lower colored stones, and especially in a cushion, I think a little color gives them a vintage look that I just love. I'd stick that in a platinum vintage setting and I think it would look beautiful. It's a very personal and subjective thing, though. What did you think when you first saw it?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really like it. the large culet and ''j'' color make for a charming stone. it would be great in an antique-y style mount.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I agree, it looks absolutely beautiful!!!
30.gif

And I wouldn''t be concerned about the depth if I were you. My cushion has an astonishing 55.4% depth, but my fiance chose it because it was so much more brilliant than all the other (supposedly more ideal-cut) cushions he''d seen! So if it speaks to you, I say go for it!!

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your input!! You guys are right...it would look great in an antique setting. I''m actually going to have Quest do another Kaleigh ring for me with some very minor changes. Deco, Mrssalvo, very good point about the melees...haven''t thought about that.

This cushion has the faceting pattern like MMMs so I was really curious to see it in person. Too bad about the color..it is a tad yellow in certain light conditions. Maybe I should wait until after valentines..there aren''t a whole lot of options out there! Anyway, here are the last pics I took today. I guess I''ll be packing it and sending it back
39.gif

IMGP1233pic3.jpg

slammie

Shiny_Rock
in sunlight which shows the warmth

IMGP1232pic4.jpg

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
It does look pretty yellow IMHO. That said, that could be a good thing if you're interested in that.

In terms of the IS... it is a fancy so you're going to lose some no matter what; this isn't a round.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gary. This puppy will be sent back home tomorrow..oh well, gotta keep looking!
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree it is rather yellow. You''ll find a great one just will take some time.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results