shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Diamond Help-Girdle Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cookemonster

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a GIA certified, VS1 H, Cushion Brilliant:

Meas: 8.91 x 7.82 x 5.45mm
Weight: 3.02
Depth: 69.7%
Table: 64%
Girdle: Thick to extremely thick
Cutlet: None
Polish VG
Symmetry good
Fluorescence: None

The question I had was about the girdle. I have not seen this diamond yet and know that I can''t just rely on the stats of the diamond, but do you think that the girdle being extremely thick will be problem with this diamond. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

JJL

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Cushions often tend to have girdles which range into the very thick and extremely thick range. It''s pretty common, and usually doesn''t have a negative effect on the optical performance of the stone.

I wouldn''t rule out a cushion cut because of a very thick or extremely thick girdle. It might have a little less surface area than a cushion with a thinner girdle, but the vendor usually takes this into account when arriving at the final price for the stone.

The key is the visual inspection. Then you can see how good a performance the cutter was able to coax out of the stone. Every fancy make is unique in it''s appearance, which is part of their appeal.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One with a thiner girdle and same other stats as this would be less deep and larger looking. Otherwise... why not.

For example, this is 2mm longer (11 x 8mm versus 9 x 8 of your example) and this 1mm wider (9 x 9 mm). I suspect either makes a visible difference. If that matters and if these stones are otherwise less or more good looking is yet another question.
(btw, to find these I run a search for G-I, VS1-Si1, 3-3.3cts, 58-65 table and depth - there were other results along these lines and that database may contain better examples too)

If you can choose, I would be looking for a larger stone for those 3 cts, and this means less depth (70% is quite a bit) and thinner girdle, but not only - other details of cut that determine spread cannot be traced on the lab report. Size itself (diemters and area) can, ofcourse.

On the other hand, prices depend on size too - deeper stones that appear smaller for their weight are sometimes discounted. And if this one is otherwise very nice looking you might want to forgive size afterall.

Just IMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results