shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dib

Shiny_Rock
i only have the GIA info on this stone, so any opinions would be great:

3.02 cushion brilliant
F color (GIA)
Si1 (very eye-clean)
Depth: 59.6%
Table: 62%
Girdle: Thin to thick, faceted
Culet: Medium
Fluorence: none
Polish: very good
Symmetry: Good

Price: long story but between $31,500 and $33,500

It looked very nice in person, but i was wondering if it was a little off that the table is larger than the depth.

thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It sounds tasty! But there is absolutely no way to tell anything by the numbers alone. Can you get a bscope or lightscope? On the + side, it may look huge for its ct weight with that depth! :)

dib

Shiny_Rock
thanks- it was really a nice stone. Can any jeweler get the brillantscope or lightscope that you mentioned or would i have to take the stone somewhere

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
bbb- there''s going to be alot of folks who tell you these tests are neccesary- I am NOT among them. There are far more diamond dealers who feel the way I do- so it''s likely that your seller does not have the machine to do these "light return tests". This does NOT neccesarily mean he''s trying to hide anything.

If you love the way the diamond looks, and you''re comfortable with the seller, then go ahead. my opinion os that sending the diamond for the tests you mentioned are a waste of time and money.

The price is within reason.

dib

Shiny_Rock
david-

thanks for your response - i appreciate your honesty. one question, when you say the price is within reason, what do you mean by that? also, should i be concerned that the table is bigger than the depth? most cushion stones i read about have a smaller table than depth. thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I bought my fabu cushion (if I do say so myself) after checking out its potentially great numbers and seeing that bad boy with my own eyes and getting confirmation from my trusted jeweler! I never give it a second thought that I never got a fancy bscope or light scope image!

I don't think these tests are a TOTAL waste of money...and I bet that if you use a good appraiser and the stone is still unmounted, these tests can be done for you as part of the appraisal. Getting more info is never a waste of money...but it's up to you to decide if you care what the results say!

In my eyes, my stone has NO light leakage and scores a triple VH on the bscope LOL. That's that's what I'm going to keep telling myself :) LOL

A lot of stones have depth less than table...but that's not *the* rule. There are plenty of beautiful stones that break the *rule*...When it get ridiculous...like if you're looking at a pancake with a 50 depth and 80 table LOL..well, then you pretty much can anticipate dog poop.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
bbb- Price: What I mean to say is that the price is within what I consider to be current market price standards for desirable well cut stones with GIA reports.
Many times we hear of a price that''s either way low, or too high.
When it''s too low, it usually indicates some problem.
The price of $10,500+- per carat for an F/SI1 3 carat is what I consider to be on the low, or aggressive side- but possible.
Good for you!

RULES ABOUT TABLE BEING BIGGER OR VICE VERSA= balderdash. There''s simply no way to predict exactly what any combination might look like.

It would be easy to try and make a rule like the reference moremoremore made about numbers which are clearly outside norms - but FYI- a 50% depth cushion can look nice. Same for 80% table- although both these numbers are stretching the "norms"

Moremoremore- let me ask you this.
Say you LOVE LOVE LOVE your diamond- which we know you do. That is a wonderful state to be in with one''s diamond.
Say you had these light return tests done and they showed a poor result? Now you already love your diamond, so, if such a thing happened, would it simply diminish it in your eyes ? And would this not be unnneccsary?
BUT- say the stone returned bad results before you bought it? Then you''d still be looking!

I still maintain too much info can be a bad thing- especially if the content is questionable.
There is NO clear consensus from industry leaders that these type of machines provide relavent information - ESPECIALLY when discussing fancy shapes.
There are those who swear by these machines, and others who dispute the findings.

Looking at this objectively- it seems GIA is prepared to fire yet another salvo into this skirmish. I think I''ll be standing on safe ground.
Because a lot of the stones they will give "Excellent" to are stones which are trashed by AGS, AND these machines.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Ask the vendor why the symmetry grade is "good". I am curious to know.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to agree somewhat with David here. MORE info can sometimes just be MORE and not better info... Test results on fancy shapes to me are a waste. It''s nice, but a bit of a waste if it is not free with appraisal.

Fancies need to be seen with the eye, and even rounds I believe. I totally understand people wanting to get the best stone possible, but if you are within the accepted range your eyes will let you know if the subtle differences within that range to you are pleasing for a stone with a great table or a greater depth. Let your eyes decide.

Also, the seller may not know why the stone got a "Good" in symmetry. Usually that is not their job. They SELL, not grade. So many stones a day I can''t think of one person who actually rechecks the stones he sells under a microscope for proportions or polish. It''s silly. Good is good enough. very good is better and excellent is ideal. Good can mean there is an extra facet, or a slightly larger facet somehwhere, or possible the upper girdle facets didn''t perfectly point. Either way, I doubt it makes your stone a dud at Good. At Fair or Poor I would worry.... That means LOTS more issues.

Enjoy the stone, it sounds lovely!

By the way I have seen some very old cushion cuts, some new and some old that have less than idea proportions, and they ALL look so different. The greater depths make the stone face up a bit smaller than their weight may imply, but they can have some beautiful fire... Large tables can also be a nice way of bringing out some brilliance and larger face up look, but again, see it with your eyes first and then decide if you love it or not. Good luck!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
David- I absolutely know what you''re saying and that''s what I meant by "in my eyes, my stone had no light leakage" LOL...We sure know that''s not true!

I just don''t think that the tests are a total waste of money. Being informed means getting all the info that you feel you need and some people want the bscope and light scope and I think it can help to inform a buyer to a certain extent. Like Nicrez said, it''s just more info...and I don''t think that it''s a waste. Let''s say a few stones look the same to me and I can''t decide. These tests may help me.

I''ve been to both ends of the spectrum. Pricescope is a blessing and a curse. It''s easy to get obsessed with numbers and tests. Now I realize that I''ve seen enough stones to decide what''s visually pleasing to me with or without them....but if the tests are available, I say go for it and see what happens. ****Just don''t lose site of how the stone looks to you!****

dib

Shiny_Rock
Diamond by Lauren, Nicrez and moremoremore-

your comments are well received. i agree that sometimes too much info is TOO much. sometimes your eyes just need to do the work. i do believe in gathering as much info as you feel you need to make a good decision, which is why i am so glad i found pricescope. I think this site is an invaluable tool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results