shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion cut-- how does this look to you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!! My bf and I have been looking for a cushion cut for some time -- but it''s been difficult because we''re looking for something with old school charm and fire, and most of the ones available are cut to modern standards. Basically I want something that looks like my great-grandmother''s old european cut diamond. I''m going to take a look at a cushion today that I think will fit the bill, but wanted to get opinions on the specs and on the photo as well. What do you guys think? Is the table too large? Is it too shallow? help!! Thanks!! It''s just the center stone -- not the setting. We''re thinking of something similar to Ritani endless love for the setting.

1.2 ct. wt.
F
VS1
61.8 depth
64 table
dimensions 6.74 x 6.67

MT120a.jpg

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another one!

MT120b.jpg

I''m sorry that I can''t offer you any advice about the stone, but I did want to say that the diamond does have that beautiful and classy old-school look to it! I know what you mean about those beautiful diamonds that ladies wore decades ago - sooooooo pretty.

Good luck - and how exciting for you both! Mary

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mary!! I know that my taste in diamonds is not the "norm", but that''s ok with me! I just love love love the old ones -- they have so much character! Of course this is a new one, but cut to resemble the old ones -- so I get the best of both worlds I suppose. I can''t wait to see it in person!
21.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think the stone looks just beautiful. if you''ve seen it in person and you love it, go for it! and wow, an F--it''s hard to find an antique stone in such a high color!
36.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Well I haven''t seen it YET -- I will hopefully see it today...... Keep your fingers crossed!!
Also -- it''s not an antique stone -- it''s a new one, cut to resemble the older ones.

I love the cushion cuts, SO MUCH, but there is such a huge variation in sizes and specs, -- and I tend to like the old looking ones so much more...... Unfortunately, the old ones typically have large culets and, like you said, usually have more "color".

Mark at engagementringsdirect knows a cutter who creates diamonds that look like the antique ones -- with the larger facets that I love! AND this is pretty much the only one he has right now, and he''s sending it to Hotlanta for me to check out! I am SO EXCITED!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Very cool! I agree about the color being a find. It certainly does look like an antique stone with the benefit of great color. I really trust Mark too...so I''m sure you''ll love her.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i hope it is just what you are looking for! keep us posted!
36.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I''ll definitely keep you posted!! :) Should have an update this afternoon!!!

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
for those of you "in the know" -- does this stone seem to shallow with a depth of 61.8%? what about the larger 64% table? too big? I''m a little worried about that......

reena

Ideal_Rock
it does seem a tad shallow compared to most cushions i''ve seen, but if you see it and it looks good, i totally wouldn''t worry about it. you really can''t go by the numbers on cushions. plus, as long as it has the character you''re looking for, a shallower stone can be great because it will look comparatively large for its carat weight . . .

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t get too caught up in the #''s.......you are looking at a unique cut that you like. let your eyes be the judge. if it''s what you want and you love it, by all means get it!!!! you will be happy.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If this doesn''t work and you decide you want a vintage stone, contact Oldminer. His company wholesales vintage and antique stones and he might be able to steer you to a jeweler in your area.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I SAW IT!!!!!!!!! and it is SO beautiful -- more so than in the pics!!! THANK you MARK! Yes, technically it is a bit shallow, but it doesn''t seem to have any kind of negative effect on the diamond itself, and I think it helps to make it look larger than it truly is!! I think it looks more like a 1.5 than a 1.2!

There were a couple of things, besides the depth, that KIND of concerned me when I first saw the GIA cert.....

1. Polish/symmetry is only good/good -- didn''t know that before.......so it kinda concerned me a little -- but not sure why, because as far as I could tell it was as "polished" and "symmetrical" as I expected it to be. Does anyone truly know how this should be affecting the look of the stone? In some lights am I going to see anything weird?

2. Culet is medium -- but I didn''t see it at all until under the microscope, and it was TEENY then.

Overall it is a BEAUTIFUL stone --- SO white and sparkly! AND I tried to find the inclusions under the microscope, but no luck!! Not complaining there!
9.gif

Anyway, this could be "the one" -- I''ll keep you posted!! Thanks for all of your help!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2004 4:361 PM
Author: SJS1234

1. Polish/symmetry is only good/good -- didn''t know that before.......so it kinda concerned me a little --
No worries... this is completely immaterial. If you have the time and inclination, you may want to look among the posts of the professionals posting here (Oldminer - David Atlas, Cut Nut-Garry Halloway) and read their explanation about what these grades mean and don''t. Mine was just a one word summary.

Congrats for the find, btw
1.gif
The ring is quite a charmer too. Sure you want it changed ?
20.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like you are realy looking for an Old-Mine Cut Cushion, and not a modern.

If you are looking for an Old-Mine Cut, I could direct you if your interested

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results