shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion and Princess Ideal Percentages

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beautifuldisaster

Shiny_Rock
HELLO.

I am looking into cushion and princess cut stones. I plan on picking a few and posting them for opinions, however I have a question first.

What are the ideal percentages that I am looking for on both the cushion cut and the princess cut stones? I can''t seem to find a clear answer of a range no matter where I look.

Thanks in advance!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can get "part" of the correct answer by looking at the parametric charts on my website. www.gemappraisers.com. However,, like Garr and others will tell you, a limited number of parameters will not fully cover the subject correctly.

We now can grade princess cut diamonds with ImaGem for how well they handle light and how we think this relates to their beauty. More will be coming soon from AGS and GIA. This is the right way to fully handle the subject of light behavior. Parameters help, but won''t finish the job.

beautifuldisaster

Shiny_Rock
THanks very much. I will check out your site!

beautifuldisaster

Shiny_Rock
I did a cut qual search and it said that it could not do a search for that shape (cushion). hmm......

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was developing the cut class charts and parameters, the only cushion shaped diamonds were old mine cut and hardly popular, let alone close to being well cut. Times change and new cushion cuts are out there. Many are still very much too deep, but it does make for lots of bragging rights about how much it weighs, but finely cut diamonds are just not cut overly deep. A few cushion cuts are made today with beauty and light return as their main goals.

More than likely, fine cushion cuts follow the same charts as ovals would. I have not made a direct study of this, but there is logic indicating this would work fine. If the stone is a square cushion, it will be nearly cut like a fine round stone. I hope this helps you a little without making the job too difficult.

Sometimes you have to buy what pleases you and not worry about how it fits against a chart. All of us can live with a cuonsumer getting a good financial deal and being happy with what they bought. Charts can be useful, but when they get in the way of finding what pleases you most, go with your own eyes. Use the charts as screening tools, not as selection devices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results