shape
carat
color
clarity

Currently in Melbourne and Sydney this week - Any must-sees for gems, or jewelry??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m here on business but may have a little time for shopping. Does anyone know of any particular special stores or areas I should check out? I am already aware of Argyle diamonds.

I generally find prices here for food, goods and services noticeably higher than in North America. But, if there''s somewhere special, I am definitely interested. :)

Or, if you know of an important industry district I should visit (like the diamond district in NYC, etc.)

Let me know,

Anne

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Isn''t Garry Holloway in Melbourne?

shay

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Sorry Anne, nothing here in Sydney you haven't seen before. In fact, poor quality, poor range, big prices. If you're here with a husband who won't let you purchase, I can give you the address of a vendor who won't unlock the door until you buy (no kidding).

You are already living in the best country in the world for buying diamonds. My last purchase was memo'd in from the States, next purchase (or when I win the two millionth post prize), I'll be mail-ordering or flying there with the savings I get from US prices.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Does Gary sell diamonds too, I wan''t sure? I am in Melbourne! Does that mean when I am ready he is the first place to look? Wow, it''s almost like going to a celebrity to buy diamonds!!
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Calleija

by appointment only :D the jewels are yummmy :D I don''t know what their sydney store has but the Gold coast store is divine

Apparently Percy Marks in Sydney is also good but I have not been there :)

Have fun :)

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
I live in Sydney so will tell you what I know...

The jewellery district in Sydney is around Castlereagh and Elizabeth Streets near Martin Place. It''s easy to get around on foot.

Paspaley Pearls are on the corner of George St and Martin Place. Their store is beautiful as are their pearls. I have a lovely Paspaley pearl necklace!

Makers Mark (also in Melbourne) feature alot of interesting local designers and homewares as well as jewellery. They are also authorised Argyle dealers.

Percy Marks is on Elizabeth Street. I love Percy Marks. I have some beautiful pink diamond earrings from there. And I just had a pink diamond ring made by them that I adore! The staff are so warm and welcoming.

Faberge have just opened up a new boutique in Castlereagh St. If you have never seen Faberge in real life before I thoroughly recommend a visit.

Fairfax and Roberts have just openened their new boutique next to Faberge (they are the official distributors for Faberge in Aus). I haven''t been in so can''t comment yet.

You''ll also find all the "usual" suspects: Bulgari, Cartier, Georg Jensen, Omega, Tiffany etc all within a few blocks.

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
One more to add...

Giulians are on George Street and Bridge Street. Another Argyle dealer. they also sell opals and not of the tacky-touristy variety!

There are quite a few high-end jewellers in Sydney city. Hardy Brothers, Jordans, Cerrone... it really depends on what kind of style you like!

The Queen Victoria Building also has some nice stores and a couple of antique jewellery stores.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I should have also mentioned that I''m interested in any amazing pearl places - especially South Seas.

Thanks,

Anne

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I love Jan Logan''s store in Double Bay. Before I came to Pricescope I always dreamed of having one of her rings. She does amzing stuff with semi precious diamonds and also she is renowed for her Pe*** necklaces. Here''s the link :2o8h065d]Jan logan.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 10:50:26 PM
Author: honey22
Does Gary sell diamonds too, I wan''t sure? I am in Melbourne! Does that mean when I am ready he is the first place to look? Wow, it''s almost like going to a celebrity to buy diamonds!!
36.gif
I would certainly give him the opportunity to dazzle me with the pieces he has in store as well as the diamonds the inventor of the HCA would find fab.

shay

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 4:46:36 AM
Author: anne_h
Thanks everyone! I should have also mentioned that I''m interested in any amazing pearl places - especially South Seas.

Thanks,

Anne

Well, in that case... get thee to Paspaley! They recently opened their new boutique in Sydney and it really is very nice.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Well, when I go to Melbourne I am itching to go to Garry Holloway''s shop in Cantebury - Precious Metals (I think that is what it is called). I cant wait to have a look at his stuff.

let us know where you went in Melbourne and what you thought.

Enjoy
D2B

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Anne, your assignment is to mystery-shop Garry''s store and to return here with a full report
1.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 4:48:18 AM
Author: elmo
Anne, your assignment is to mystery-shop Garry''s store and to return here with a full report
1.gif
Well, I have been there....way before I knew about PS or diamonds. I used them to rodeum plate my er and since then sent many many people to do the same. They really know how to do a good rodeum plating for sure!!!!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Just a brief note to say that I made to Garry''s store (now Holloway Diamonds, formerly known as Precious Metals).

It''s in a suburb away from downtown Melbourne - about a half hour by train. Lots of pretty homes nearby.

The store is a traditional showroom, but with a very nice window into the workshop / bench area. Fun!

I received very excellent service from Amanda, and did meet Garry also.

I wasn''t planning to buy anything, but did end up with .62 ctw champagne diamond drop 18k yellow-gold shepards-hook (with latch) earrings. They are C4 color, bezel set, quite nice. I will share pics once I get home to my camera.

Normally, I wouldn''t buy in AUS (because USA is cheaper), nevermind from a retail store, but in this case, I thought what the heck. They were pretty and I was in the right mood. I''ve been eyeing champagne diamonds for awhile anyways.

I also saw a gorgeous South Seas pearl necklace, it was considerably more expensive. ;-)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Anne

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was nice to meet you Anne
1.gif

Thx for the kind words.

We had an American lady in this morning - I have seen this thread, but not my style to tout here. However it crossed my mind the other lady may have been you.

Amanda is lovely. She had no right to go get in the family way. We will miss her, although we have a few projects for her to do from home when the baby comes along. Enjoy the earrings - we select them with the ideal-scope too. Very hard to find well cut champagnes.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Garry,

Thanks for the comments. BTW, I am from Canada and visited in the afternoon, so your morning American lady was of course someone else. :)

Now that we''ve both outed each other, perhaps I could be so bold as to suggest in front of everyone here that you share the piece that you and Amanda showed me yesterday. Ladies - it was quite unique.

I know that by merely mentioning it here, you will probably now hear a chorus of Pricescope appeals. ;-)

BTW, I am wearing the earrings right at this moment. They are lovely.

Anne

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anne, your earrrings sound devine--I look forward to seeing a pciture of them in the near future. Now where is that other picture, Garry? Some eye candy??

cheers--Sharon

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/25/2007 4:32:31 PM
Author: anne_h
Hi Garry,

Thanks for the comments. BTW, I am from Canada and visited in the afternoon, so your morning American lady was of course someone else. :)

Now that we''ve both outed each other, perhaps I could be so bold as to suggest in front of everyone here that you share the piece that you and Amanda showed me yesterday. Ladies - it was quite unique.

I know that by merely mentioning it here, you will probably now hear a chorus of Pricescope appeals. ;-)

BTW, I am wearing the earrings right at this moment. They are lovely.

Anne
Thanks Anne, you are lovely.
No slight intended on Canada USA - just that it is logical to think if you are a Pscoper visiting from Oseas that you would be from USA
1.gif

Here is what you are referring to.
We won the Mens catagory of the Harpers Bazzar / Diamond Guild of Australia diamond design award with the Domino Effect.
About 5 cts of very nice ice set into Ebony.

Domino effect.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results