shape
carat
color
clarity

Current economics of colored stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
The buzz at the Facetors show was about the skyrocketing rough prices. Any of you considering buying a colored stone should do so soon, because when the cutters use up older, less expensive rough inventory, their finished stone prices are going to skyrocket to match the current rough prices. The conversation was that there is currently 2 things working for those of us who are consumers- less buying activity leading to a glut of finished stones on the market, and the stones that are out there were cut from less expensive rough than what is currently available. Most of the Facetors seemed to think that in 6 months or so finished stone prices will rise 40-50% across the spectrum, with certain stones going up even more. Afghan Tourmaline, and Spesartite Garnet were mentioned as ones that would go up maybe as much as 100% I gathered that current rough prices are about 20% higher than what people paid for inventory on hand, and are still going up.

ETA- I should have said " any of you considering buying a colored stone MIGHT CONSIDER doing so soon"- I am no expert, just passing along what I heard.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed that rough is not what it used to be, which means that many of the miners are probably holding on to their stashes of the finer stuff as Gene alluded to in the "Gene''s Travel''s" thread.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Interesting!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed smaller selections of gemstones and also of lower quality. I am also wondering if the miner owners are hoarding some of these items to not sell at a loss or to later sell them at higher prices.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve read that the cost of a barrel of oil (to operate the mine equipment) had an impact.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry to read this since I''m trying to save money right now. But so is everyone else, and maybe that''s what''s keeping some prices down. Which does work out well for the PSers able to spend right now.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2009 10:57:47 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
I''m sorry to read this since I''m trying to save money right now. But so is everyone else, and maybe that''s what''s keeping some prices down. Which does work out well for the PSers able to spend right now.
StoneHunter,
Truthfully, I have not seen prices stay down on the ones I have my eye on. If anything, the prices are going up.
23.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2009 4:13:09 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 7/27/2009 10:57:47 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
StoneHunter,
Truthfully, I have not seen prices stay down on the ones I have my eye on. If anything, the prices are going up.
23.gif
Well that means Mr. T is wrong about that. Maybe he''s wrong about the rise in prices too, but from what you say I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results