shape
carat
color
clarity

Cuban Cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Romeo y Julieta are a brand of Cubans...Romeo could be a cute name for him!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
that chocolate brown and periwinkle is striking! i think i just found my wedding colors...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 6:14:44 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Oh Cehra - those kitties are so lucky to have you!! That''s so wonderful you''ve been able to take them in and care for them like that - bless you!

They are all just gorgeous - especially mama. I think if you''re keeping any, and she is amenable to it, she would be high up on the list, because kittens are much easier to find a home for than older cats. Of course, if she just isn''t willing to stay inside, its great that you''re willing to keep her as an outdoor cat and still look out for her and get her fixed.

Re: the blue eyes, they almost all have blue eyes at that age. Over the next few weeks their final eye color should become apparent.

Re: getting them fixed, they can be fixed when they weigh 2 lbs. A few places make you wait until 2.5 lbs but most will do it at 2 lbs. Usually this is around 8 weeks. They look to me to be at least 4-5 weeks old, so that''s not very much longer. You DEFINITELY don''t want to wait until they are 6 months old - the girls could be pregnant by then. It can happen as early as 4 months old. I''m sure you can find a place near you to do a free or low cost spay or neuter on each kitten as well as mom, and most will also do a microchip at the same time for a minimal fee.

I would strongly encourage you to work with a rescue group in finding homes for the ones you''re not keeping if you can - unfortunately there are some very sick people out there who would have really horrible motives for these kitties, and a rescue group can help you screen potential adopters so you are sure you are sending them to a good home. If it''s friends and/or family that you know well and will stay in touch with, this isn''t so important, but you might be rehoming one or more to strangers or people you don''t know well, its CRUCIAL that you do something to screen them, preferably with professional health, and that you charge some kind of fee for their adoption - otherwise people are a lot more likely to adopt them and sell them to research labs, use them as bait for fighting dogs and other horrible things.

Good luck and thank you again for rescuing these babies - kitties need all the friends they can get in the world!!
Mama cat is my first choice because I already know she''s a very very sweet cat. It''s just the strangest thing that she has been THE shyest most reclusive cat for *years* and then all of a sudden she''s like pick me up take me in rub my tummy. She''s very gentle and very sweet and so gracious and grateful and... even if for some reason we couldn''t keep her, she''d be easy to find a home for because she''s got an excellent disposition. Even still, she has lived on this property for 3-4 years now and other than making sure no more kittens I would be okay to let her just continue her life as is. The quotes I''ve gotten to get her fixed are around $150!!!!!! Up to $200!! $120 for the girl kitten. I honestly don''t have $500 laying around for stray cats not to mention shots and checkups etc. Run me close to 1k for all of that. I hate to complain, this isn''t anyone *elses* problem either. The fool that allowed this to happen abandoned her years ago and is long gone.

Any ideas how to find a rescue group for the kittens?

I think all of their eyes will turn green except maybe the dark boy. There''s no hint of green or yellow in them at all and his mama has blue eyes so there''s a possibility. I raised a kitten from birth once and it was a lot of work... and we kept her. It is amazing how different their personalities are even now. The girl is such a good little cleaner!! One of the boys is mr adventure, keeps getting out of the bed... daughter named him sawyer after tom sawyer (also cause we called the papa cat tom but he''s gone now, probably put down because he was just too wild
7.gif
now she wants to name the dark one Kona LOL Java, Kona, Bolivar "Boli" are on the list but I''m insisting on not being in a rush to name it LOL

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Blue eyes like that are very rare in cross breeds.

My mother breeds siamese and we have had a few accidents where the queens have escaped and shacked up with the local moggies for the night!

First time - five jet black kittens. They had the siamese temperament and voice but none of them had the blue eyes. Second time was a complete mixed bag - daddy was ginger, but again no blue eyes.

He is a real beauty and I''d hang onto him. The eyes are way more blue than the normal kitten blue that all cats have at birth. Mama looks like a Burman or something similar - does she have white feet?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 6:38:43 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
that chocolate brown and periwinkle is striking! i think i just found my wedding colors...
Hahahahahaha :D "How did you choose these colors?" "Well I was online and I saw this kitten......" hehehe

oh total elipsis but a couple weeks ago we were at the park and this bridal party was taking pictures and the girls were in these sky blue dresses that were *slightly* grey and slightly lavender and really a beautiful cloudy day blue color... and their flower colors were that of marigolds... the colors looked gorgeous together but all of us girls that were there agreed that the flowers stole the show, like the dresses were the perfect backdrop for a martha stewart magazine picture to promote flower colors LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 6:45:01 PM
Author: Pandora II
Blue eyes like that are very rare in cross breeds.

My mother breeds siamese and we have had a few accidents where the queens have escaped and shacked up with the local moggies for the night!

First time - five jet black kittens. They had the siamese temperament and voice but none of them had the blue eyes. Second time was a complete mixed bag - daddy was ginger, but again no blue eyes.

He is a real beauty and I''d hang onto him. The eyes are way more blue than the normal kitten blue that all cats have at birth. Mama looks like a Burman or something similar - does she have white feet?
Yeah blue eyes are very rare... my cat chloe had aqua blue eyes and they turned bright fern green. Armani had hazely eyes that well... stayed hazely and lost all trace of blue. Mayana had blue eyes like the tabbies and her eyes turned golden green. All three of the other kittens have aqua eyes that already show a little green so I know they''ll lose all of their blue, but the one boy the shape of his eyes is just like mom and he seems to have quite a bit of seal in him so maybe they''ll stay blue, they have not a hint of green right now, just dark... hers are light so they''d probably get lighter too but still... gorgeous. They''d be gorgeous green or gold too with that brown and black fur.

It is *possible* that the father is actually one of her own kittens. I have no idea where that cat came from, he was also here when I got here.

She doesn''t have any white.... I doubt she''s a purebread. Sometimes even mutt cats will have a throwback... but she could be, who knows! Here''s a couple pics of her, note "sawyer" trying to escape in the background LOL:

mamasit.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
She was patiently letting me bug her while she was eating, what a gooooood kitty!!!!

mamastand.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
This callico does have white boots.... she's got such an unusual set of markings.

ETA: If you look VERY close above and between her eyes you can see two little devlish "horns" in her markings LOL!! She's actually the most mellow lazy sweet cat of them all. My daughter thinks she's boring but my thought is, never underestimate how great a lazy cat can be LOL

calliecat2.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
another pretty thing about the dark one is that he has these orange bits mostly in front of his left year... can you see it there like dark copper?

havana4.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Cehra - that is way more than you should have to pay to get strays fixed. Where are you located? I would start by calling your local SPCA or humane society and asking them about local low-cost options. If you tell me what general area you are in I can try to do some more research on what low-cost options might be specifically available locally. I know that here (a VERY high cost of living area), our local SPCA will spay for around $65 and they will reduce the cost if you have a low income (we also have completely free vet care for pets of homeless people in our city, which I think is great).

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oooooooh....MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!
3.gif
30.gif

I can''t get enough of these baby pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 7:06:55 PM
Cehra - that is way more than you should have to pay to get strays fixed. Where are you located? I would start by calling your local SPCA or humane society and asking them about local low-cost options. If you tell me what general area you are in I can try to do some more research on what low-cost options might be specifically available locally. I know that here (a VERY high cost of living area), our local SPCA will spay for around $65 and they will reduce the cost if you have a low income (we also have completely free vet care for pets of homeless people in our city, which I think is great).
I''m in washington county oregon (west of portland) and I called a couple of vet clinics because after she started coming to us we weren''t sure she had kittens, I thought maybe they''d been eaten because her behavior flipped 180* OVERNIGHT. She totally trusts us with them, its amazing. for years if you saw her blue eyes looking at you if you even stepped closer to her she''d run away and hide well and you''d never find her then boom she''s like on the porch, pick me up, take me in LOL!!! Mostly I think it was "FEEEEEEEED MEEEEEEEEE" LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 7:09:43 PM
Author: widget
Oooooooh....MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!
3.gif
30.gif

I can''t get enough of these baby pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

widget
Arent they so cute?? Twist my arm... well heck, I can''t take pics of my diamond so at least I have something else I can! hah!!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Mom looks like a Himalyan or Ragdoll. Very sweet kitties.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 7:23:38 PM
Cehra - I love all the pictures. Mommy cat is just so gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I found a couple of good links for you for low cost spay/neuter. I don''t really know Oregon geography very well, but hopefully at least one of these will be helpful:

Listing of Contact Info re: Low Cost Spay/Neuter in Oregon

Low Cost Spay/Neuter Referral Site for Oregon

If none of those are helpful, please let me know and I''m happy to keep helping you research.
Some of these are close, I''ll call around tomorrow and see what I can find out, thank you!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Great - I really hope something works out, but if not let me know and I will help you find something that will - low cost spay/neuter should definitely be do-able in the Portland area!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 7:17:48 PM
Author: marvel
Mom looks like a Himalyan or Ragdoll. Very sweet kitties.
She *acts* like a ragdoll. Just limp when you pick her up, rolls on her back so you can rub her tummy :) She''s a VERY good mother.

So they all have "litter names" for now... it happened one by one and all just *fit*. First was tom SAWYER then huck FINN, the two tabbies. So I knew there was a girl and looked it up on wiki and her name is BECKY thatcher and that fits the girl... and then it said that tom and huck had another friend named JOE harper and my daughter and I just started laughing after all the time we took to find a coffee name LOL If we keep Joe he can''t keep that name because my dh is Jose and I don''t think he''s like that LOL but it is funny so it works for now lol

Becky and Joe:

becky n joe.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is Finn :)

finnkitty.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another one of Java Joe Harper the Kona Kitty LOL

His eyes have that googly splayed out to the sides look that his mother has LOL I stg he looks like my couch... my couch is that color blue and the wood feet is espresso LOL He looks like my livingroom in general LOL He matches ::snorts::

joekitty.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
OMG....look at those faces!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Actually....Joe is the perfect name to go with Sawyer, Finn and Becky....remember "Injun Joe"?

He was the bad guy...

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 7:59:43 PM
Author: widget

OMG....look at those faces!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Actually....Joe is the perfect name to go with Sawyer, Finn and Becky....remember ''Injun Joe''?

He was the bad guy...

widget
Yeah I thought of that - there''s actually two "joes" in that book, I figured I''d stick with the kids LOL

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey Cehra - I''m keeping my fingers crossed for success with calling the low-cost spay/neuter places today. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2007 12:46:12 PM
Hey Cehra - I''m keeping my fingers crossed for success with calling the low-cost spay/neuter places today. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
Thank you :) I''m off to go get some of that outrageously priced food ;-) and some litter and a little box and some kind of thing for scratching lest my way too expensive dania couch become fodder! We had one little poopy accident last night.... they''re just adorable. I took java joe to the dog today and HE was fine but SHE was petrified, shaking poor girl.... I had to stiffle my chuckles because she''s a yellow lab and he''s this tiny kitten and she''s afraid of him LOL

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, if you're taking any votes into consideration at this point...I vote for keeping the mama. What a GORGEOUS girl. Seriously. I wanted to adopt a pointed cat after Chloe passes on (didn't want to stress her out by getting another one while she was around - you can see how that turned out with Holly
20.gif
). Anyway, that mama deserves some pampering. What a gorgeous girl. Also, the kittens will be easier to adopt out, as most people want those. Definitely advise working with a shelter, though kittens usually have to be fostered till they're several weeks old first.

ETA: Cehra I dont know if you read my thread but the vet wanted $350 to spay Holly...just SPAY her. Animal control (and the SPCA, actually as well) only wanted $45 to spay. Much, much cheaper. Also, those places usually do low cost vaccinations as well.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OHMYWORD! Lookit those DARLING babeeees! I just wanna smoosh ''em ALL! Your little guy is ADORABLE... I know it''s uncommon, but I honestly think you have a fighting chance of his eyes staying blue!

And yes, yes, yes, I second (and third) the opinion that you keep the Mama. She really reached out to you, and I find that very moving. She deserves a great home, and... um... I think SHE chose YOU!!!

And I also thought "Ragdoll" when I saw her. I''d get your vet''s opinion.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Call it Frankie (frank sinatra, blue eyes) or francesco....lol
31.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2007 4:19:39 PM
Author: Lynn B
OHMYWORD! Lookit those DARLING babeeees! I just wanna smoosh ''em ALL! Your little guy is ADORABLE... I know it''s uncommon, but I honestly think you have a fighting chance of his eyes staying blue!

And yes, yes, yes, I second (and third) the opinion that you keep the Mama. She really reached out to you, and I find that very moving. She deserves a great home, and... um... I think SHE chose YOU!!!

And I also thought ''Ragdoll'' when I saw her. I''d get your vet''s opinion.
The mama cat is unquestionably staying here, with qualifiers. IF she ends up not wanting to spend any time in the house then I have until I move to find her a new home because I really can''t have an outdoor cat in southern california. So if she stays in the house she''ll stay with us permanently... and by stays in the house I mean a good 80-90%. If after the kittens are grown she wants to resume living outside I might put her in the care of another neighbor or something... but will definitely have her fixed.

As for the kittens right now I''m leaning toward keeping one or two of them. All of the kids want to keep the dark one and I kinda like the calico - she''s already a little prissy its funny and cute. Which leaves sawyer and finn who are the best of friends (becky and joe tend to pair off as well) and look so much alike and I hope I can find someone who will take them both.

Mama cat *acts* like a ragdoll. She''s the most docile cat I''ve ever met. Once she got over her intense shyness she just has been 180* different cat. she''s my dream cat and I really hope she adapts to indoor living. I really really hope she does. I have never met a sweeter more mellow cat than she and she''s just gorgeous too. The kids really want to keep a kitten though - but it would be in addition to, not instead of, the mama :)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
They are soo cute and gorgeous! I love stripy kitties! Mama is beautiful, she looks like our neighbor''s cat. That cat has violet eyes too and we''ve always hoped she''d have kittens. I hope your dark boy keeps his color, what a little heartbreaker!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi - mom cat''s temperament is not something you could every guarantee being passed on to babies. If you want a cat with a particular color eyes or fur I''d be willing to be you could find it from a rescue. I only say this because there is such severe cat overpopulation (literally over 50% of cats who come into shelters, MILLIONS each year, are euthanized) that it really is irresponsible for people to breed their pets.

Cehra - any luck with the pay/neuter phone calls? I''ll keep my fingers crossed for mommy cat that she likes being indoors. You might need to work harder to limit her ability to get outside at first so she can adjust, but I bet she would, given time and the right encouragement (all food inside, lots of playtime and affection, appropriate climbing trees and scratching posts, and a safe place to hide and have privacy when she wants it). I agree she looks like a Ragdoll. They are such amazing cats - we adore our rescue boy who we think is a ragdoll.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results