shape
carat
color
clarity

$/CT

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eddie

Rough_Rock
I''m currently looking for an engagment ring. I have found a setting that I know she likes. Unfortunately it is at a retail jewelry seller. My main concern is that I am being gouged on the price per carat of diamonds in the setting. Is there a norm on what to expect to pay? The platinum setting has roughly .875 of pave set diamonds? Is it fair for me to go from ring to ring and expect to pay a certain $/CT?

Just learning as I go.

Thanks

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
NO, you can't go from setting to setting and expect to pay per carat total weight...in a setting, you are not just paying for ctw on the setting. Just like when you buy a stone, you can find stones in all ranges of prices, however, you will pay for quality.

Now...there are settings that are worth the extra bucks when you consider the quality of the craftsmanship, time spent by the designer on the setting, type of metal, type of finish, and diamond carat weight. I find that some settings are worth the price and others are not.

What are you considering?

eddie

Rough_Rock
Here is the link to the JB Star link: http://www.jbstar.com/cgi-local/shop/jb.cgi?nhs=3&c=Engagement&s

The setting has around .875 ct of diamonds .4 of them being marquis on the prongs. It is part of their Rose collection. It''s just that $5990 seems pretty steep. Do you think it would be cheaper to have it made?

Thanks

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
It would probably be cheaper to have it replicated. However, if it is the *one* she wants, i''d get it. I personally, am not a fan of custom if I can get the real thing? I don''t know, I guess if I know that this designer has the *perfect one* for me, i''ll go with it... even if it means getting a smaller center stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results