carat
color
clarity

CS wishlist - please post yours

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have a new obsession: coloured-stones ha ha :lol: :twirl: :love:

I know very very little about CS, but I do know that I LOVE emeralds, rubies and sapphires...am currently seriously looking for an emerald and a few lovely kind-hearted PS'ers are helping me with my quest. But in the meantime, I am drooling over these.

This one would look nice in a LM halo, possibly with a split shank or alternatively in a 3 stone ring with antique cushion sides:
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7042

Same for the 2.41ct cushion ruby in the link below. The matching pairs of rubies (either pair) would look nice in a 3-stone ring - I could finally re-set the 2.656ct H Si2 BGD, yay!
http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html#thumb

These blue sapphires are awesome too. There are quite a few I'd love:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

And I'd kill for this emerald in the picture shown, the third one from the left. I wouldn't say to the largest one either, or the fourth one from the left. These are high-end Columbian emeralds I came across recently at a jewellery show. They're even more expensive than diamonds! :o

HELP!! I need to make some more money!! :naughty:

Are there coloured stones you guys are obsessing over...errhhh...I mean coveting ? :lol: .. I'd really love to see...

emeralds__columbian.jpg

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Did you happen to be at SIJE, phoenix? I saw some paribas there: There was the one which was gorgeous *_* Of course, whether or not I can afford it in my lifetime is a whole other issue... XD;

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
michellechan2211|1381654513|3536797 said:
Did you happen to be at SIJE, phoenix? I saw some paribas there: There was the one which was gorgeous *_* Of course, whether or not I can afford it in my lifetime is a whole other issue... XD;

Hi Michelle, do you mean the one at MBS? I haven't been to it yet; am going tomorrow. Which stall? I'd love to see.. :twirl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1381676226|3536904 said:

Ok, Preg...what are you doing to me?!! You are sooo not helping my new obsession. :wink2:

This is now officially on my wishlist. I hope silk sapphire won't mind me reproducing her picture here, so I can back and ogle it from time to time.. :naughty: :devil:

silk_sapphire_s_dreamsapphire.png

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I' so glad you posted the sapphire from Silk Sapphire. I recommend you do what Silk sapphire did and ask Richard Huges to help you select either a ruby or sapphire. SS had Richard Hughes" help her to find a stone. He is the foremost authority on Rubies in the world. I think Sapphires are on that list as well. I don't know if he charged her for looking for her , but even if he did, I think that it would be worth it to have his help. He lives in Thailand now and I think SS met him at the hong Kong show. You must not think about bargains here, but make the best selection you can afford.

I always like Gem Fix's photos, but I don't know if they meet expectations in real life. I, for one, don't care much for Mastercut gems. You can afford the best. Contact Richard Hughes, after you have learned a bit more about the big three. You would be a lucky girl to get his help. Just my humble suggestion.

Annette

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1381684272|3536995 said:
Hi,

I' so glad you posted the sapphire from Silk Sapphire. I recommend you do what Silk sapphire did and ask Richard Huges to help you select either a ruby or sapphire. SS had Richard Hughes" help her to find a stone. He is the foremost authority on Rubies in the world. I think Sapphires are on that list as well. I don't know if he charged her for looking for her , but even if he did, I think that it would be worth it to have his help. He lives in Thailand now and I think SS met him at the hong Kong show. You must not think about bargains here, but make the best selection you can afford.

I always like Gem Fix's photos, but I don't know if they meet expectations in real life. I, for one, don't care much for Mastercut gems. You can afford the best. Contact Richard Hughes, after you have learned a bit more about the big three. You would be a lucky girl to get his help. Just my humble suggestion.

Annette

Thank you, Annette.

I was actually Pregcurious who linked me, in my other CS thread, to Silk Sapphire's gorgeous blue sapphire.

I will certainly contact Richard Hughes. I'm glad you've suggested that and given me your opinions on GemFix and Mastercut. I was wondering about how true to life their stones (pics) are.

Do you know if Richard Hughes would be able to help with finding an emerald? I will for sure contact him when I am ready to purchase a ruby and/ or sapphire. Right now, I'd like to focus my attention (and funds lol) on finding an emerald.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I don't think his expertise is in emeralds. All that I know is that you have to send an emerald to AGL for verifcation of the information. The treatment level and the color will be important. and of course the size. I love emeralds myself, but don't have anything that would be top quality. Others on here can help you.

Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dick knows about many different gemstones but I think his area of top expertise is ruby and sapphire. Although he didn't source my tsavorite, he was more than happy to give his 2 cents on it before I made the final call.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
hi phoenix,

colored stones are so yummy ... it really is hard to focus on just one (at a time!) i, too, hope to own a fine ruby and a fine emerald one day but for now, am content with my sapphire.

just wanted to share with you my experience with dick, who was such a delight to work with. he is generally viewed to be one of the world's experts on corundum (red- rubies or blue - sapphires). i have one of his books on ruby and sapphire and i love his writing style -- he can be very technical about gems but always has an interesting story (or two or three!) to weave into the narrative. his personal interests also include jade and pearl, though i think he is knowledgeable about most gems.

first, go to his website -- http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/ -- it is a treasure trove of information about gems. unless he has moved recently, he lives in hong kong and works for a sapphire mining company. via his website, i shared with dick the general parameters (shape, size) of the sapphire that i was looking for and a budget. then we met at the hong kong gem fair and he showed me 8-10 options that all fit my parameters. i had never seen that many fine gems that all fit my parameters. in the end it came down to a 7+ carat burmese cushion and the one i chose. i think i would have been perfectly happy with either.

in terms of payment, dick did not charge me a fee but it was built into the price of the stone as he effectively acted as the dealer (he sourced the stones from various cutters and other dealers at the gem show). then i paid him through the company that he works for.

if you are looking for fine ruby/sapphire, i honestly think working with dick is the way to go.

good luck ...

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix|1381675980|3536901 said:

Hi Michelle, do you mean the one at MBS? I haven't been to it yet; am going tomorrow. Which stall? I'd love to see.. :twirl:

Terrible me failed to note the store, but it was very prominent, so there was no mistaking it =X

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Well, SS, that sapphire is top of the line. Makes me gasp. You went about finding it in such a smart way, too.

My holy grail will be, till the end of my life, a paraiba. Unless I sell the house & live in a tent, I'll probably never own one -- 'fraid I'm too old for a sugar daddy to offer me a paraiba tourm. ;( I'll never forget the one I saw at Tiffany's -- about 7x5, oval, set w/a diamond halo -- that the NY store sent out to ours for a week to display. I practically wept when they took it back to NYC. Other stones knock me over, but nothing can compete with that.

--- Laurie

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Maybe there will be another hit of paraiba somewhere and we can all get in on it before it is depleted again.

Back in 2005, I knew someone going to Tuscon, and I thought of giving them $1K and asking them to buy me one. Would that have gotten me anything decent? (I had just started reading about gems,)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you would have gotten quite a nice Paraiba back then, if the size isn't a honker. They were very inexpensive when they first made their entrance into the gem world because they looked so fake that most buyers were either apprehensive or cautious about buying one.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Jewel Freak, If you love the color of pariba tourmaline, may I suggest apatite as a substitute. Someone recently posted a couple of beauties on here, both the blue and green. Reasonable prices for them.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1381751745|3537402 said:
Well, SS, that sapphire is top of the line. Makes me gasp. You went about finding it in such a smart way, too.

My holy grail will be, till the end of my life, a paraiba. Unless I sell the house & live in a tent, I'll probably never own one -- 'fraid I'm too old for a sugar daddy to offer me a paraiba tourm. ;( I'll never forget the one I saw at Tiffany's -- about 7x5, oval, set w/a diamond halo -- that the NY store sent out to ours for a week to display. I practically wept when they took it back to NYC. Other stones knock me over, but nothing can compete with that.

--- Laurie

Love this story and I'm sorry it did not have a happier ending. :(sad ;( :(( When I read unrequited love stories like yours, I think no one deserves to have one more than you. Here's to wishing lots of dust, dust and more dust on you, that gathers and surreptitiously reforms itself into a paraiba just for you. :praise:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1381755486|3537419 said:
Yes, you would have gotten quite a nice Paraiba back then, if the size isn't a honker. They were very inexpensive when they first made their entrance into the gem world because they looked so fake that most buyers were either apprehensive or cautious about buying one.

Ugh, that makes me so sad.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, you guys...are you ready for an onslaught of pictures? I went to a jewellery show yesterday and my focus was on CS. There were lots that I liked, even though I was only there to look for an emerald.

First of, the oval emerald I'm considering, a 3ct Columbian with insignificant oil and is rated by GRS as vivid green. I am going to ask them to either GIA or Gubelin for grading (thanks to Chrono for her help).

emerald_8.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up, some lovely pink sapphire, emerald and ruby bracelet...

sapphire_emerald_ruby_bracelets.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some lovely Mandarin garnets which I wasn't even looking for, but the cut is amazing the stones are incredibly firey..

mandarin_garnets.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A red spinel for a cool $30k! It's like molten sun. :love: :love:

red_4.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful 9.41ct blue sapphire (with a very sight tinge of violet)...sparkles like crazy... :love: :love:

_10910.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
..last but not least...a tray full of sapphires and emerald goodness!! :lickout: :love: :lickout: :love:

emeralds__amp__0.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
michellechan2211|1381739951|3537378 said:
Phoenix|1381675980|3536901 said:

Terrible me failed to note the store, but it was very prominent, so there was no mistaking it =X

Still couldn't find it! :(sad

Are you going today?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1381778595|3537625 said:
Love this story and I'm sorry it did not have a happier ending. :(sad ;( :(( When I read unrequited love stories like yours, I think no one deserves to have one more than you. Here's to wishing lots of dust, dust and more dust on you, that gathers and surreptitiously reforms itself into a paraiba just for you. :praise:

Aww, Minou, from your lips to the gem gods' ears! :love: I'll cuddle up to this post for a while.

Phoenix, WOW! Why do I live so far from any good gem shows? I'm not usually a fan of orange garnets, but those mandarins are absolutely gorgeous. The cutting, yike! Hue & saturation, double yike. Plus the emerald in your last photo makes me melt. Thanks for the eye candy! Great to love vicariously if I can't in person.

--- Laurie

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="JewelFreak|.

Phoenix, WOW! Why do I live so far from any good gem shows? I'm not usually a fan of orange garnets, but those mandarins are absolutely gorgeous. The cutting, yike! Hue & saturation, double yike. Plus the emerald in your last photo makes me melt. Thanks for the eye candy! Great to love vicariously if I can't in person.

--- Laurie[/quote]

Laurie,

You're very welcome. I had such good fun at the show, so good that I went back today! :Up_to_something: :naughty:

The mandarins, red spinel and sapphires & emeralds in the last pic are all from the same vendor. The cut of their stone is out of this world - they sparkle so much they look like diamonds but with colours that are oh so yummy! :lickout: :lickout: :love: :love:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I went back to the show today, drooled and took some more pics :D .

I bought these: heated Burmese rubies at USD300 per ct. I bought 14 of approx. 0.30ct each. Will turn them into a bracelet, along with my twelve 0.125ct diamonds.

Am also considering these tsav's. They're about 1.2ct each, cost USD300 p.c. also. The colour is not too bad, quite akin to emeralds but with a very very sight yellow modifier (which you can't really see IRL); and they're quite sparkly. They have a slightly larger window and one has a feather (but completely eyeclean). Thinking of setting them into dangles with diamonds. What do you think? Is that a good deal?

rubies__amp__tsavsorites.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to emeralds: I am in love with this cushion EM but it costs a cool USD60k! :(sad

cushion__amp__oval_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want this 34 carat pink diamond that recently fetched almost 40 million at auction. I can dream, can't I? :cheeky: :love:

pink_diamond_t607.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another pic of that mouth-watering cushion emerald! :lickout: :lickout: :love: :love:

cushion_emerald.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results