shape
carat
color
clarity

Cruise to Alaska help needed..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Our relatives are planning a cruise to Alaska.It would be their first time going there.Is inside or outside passage better? Balcony or not? What cruise line / name of a Ship? Any other considerations? I am trying to help them out but I have never been on a cruise if anyone has any suggestions it would be great..Thanks..

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to take an alaskan cruise one day too. I am not sure about the inside or outside passage, as i think the destinations and excursions are a matter of personal preference. They have some great books at the bookstore that focus on alaskan cruises (the ones I like are by Ann Vipond...I think her first name is Ann or Anne).

As far as crusie line, again, I think its preference. I''ve only been on Carnival. The cabins were bigger than I expected, the food on the buffet was OK and in the dinigng room it was really good. I think Norwiegien (NCL), Princess, Caribbean, etc would all be nice and very similar. I think NCL has less formalized seating times for eating. That is what they sell as their unique feature. I think Holland American targets more middled aged travels and lines like Crystal are the upscale lines. More than the line, they will want to read reveiws on a certain ship. They can do this on travelocity or www.cruisecompete.com this site is great to use one you know the cruise and takes they want as it has agents bidding for your fare and you have no finanical obligation.

What I do know is that my first crusie had a small window. It was nice, and we were in the caribbean, so it was OK. But i think for a place like Alaska, you would want to have the privacy and comfort of being in your own cabin to see some of the sights. Especially in the morning before you get off or in the evening when you are getting ready for dinner or relaxing at night and watching the stars. Everyone I know who paid extra for a balcony said it was worth it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mintve:Great ideas here.I will get the book you recommended...and check out the www...

Raspberry

Rough_Rock
If your relatives are prone to motion sickness, the sea is a lot calmer on the Inside Passage.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whatever they do, they HAVE to bring a camera. And go see a glacier. We went in the middle of July, when the weather was great and everything was just beautiful and green. But a camera is a must-my favorite pictures that I have ever taken were on a cruise to Alaska.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Rasberry good point re motion sickness.
Thanks Frekechild: yes they love their camera so I am sure they will bring it along.It sounds like the weather was nice when you went? I was told its always cold there? I have to get the book that Mintve suggested..Thanks

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
The scenery sailing up the Inside Passage is just gorgeous and as was mentioned the waters are calmer there than in the open ocean. The weather is generally pretty cool and there is a good chance of rain but you can have some nice sunny days so it is best to dress in layers. I wouldn''t even consider going without a balcony cabin. Princess and Holland America are probably the two cruise lines with the most experience and offerings for this itinerary. We went on Celebrity and were very pleased with them, but our favorite cruise line is Regent Seven Seas. They usually have one of their ships in Alaska every summer. They have smaller ships that provide a more luxurious low key cruise experience.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I went a long time ago, so can''t really recommend details, but I would definitely say inside passage! The water is much calmer, the scenery is gorgeous, and you get to see so much wildlife!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Sundial: lots of info here.I was wondering about balcony because I heard its far too cold to go on balcony.Layers would make sense.Regent Seven Seas sound good.Will check into it..
Thanks Aloros: : makes me want to go and see the wild life.If you get back here let us know what did you see...Thanks

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
one of our friend''s mom has been on tons of cruises and was recommending that if we go on a cruise to get a balcony cabin. she said that you get alot of privacy and feel like you are the only ones on the boat plus the views are great.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ringster: Balcony sounds better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results