shape
carat
color
clarity

cruise ship bling and buyers remorse

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BLUESKYS

Rough_Rock
I just got back from an Alaskan cruise. I had a wonderful time but I fell into some sort of hypotic jewelry buying frenzy. These are the results. I also bought a ring but the basket needed repair so that is being worked on. I fell in love with the look of blue diamonds. I also had a birthday while on the cruise. All of the jewelry I purchased, I purchased on my birthday. (Happy Birthday to ME!) I''m not good at negotiating and many salesmen were worse than used car dealers. I''m sure I paid too much for them.

Sorry I don''t have the statitics about weights and carats readily available right now. They are all diamonds, white and blue, in white gold.

The ring I bought I fell in love with. It was probably the most reasonably priced of all my purchases. It''s a half carat blue diamond solitaire in an approximate 3mm flush band, in white gold with a few scattered small white diamonds. It is a beautiful ring, as long as you are not closer than a foot. It has large inclusions at the bottom of this round cut stone, at about the lower third of the area below the largest round region. At first I thought it was cracked, but I showed them to a jeweler who told me they were inclusions. It did have problems with the setting, the basket was not well secured to the stone and one of the prongs was missing the hook at the top. It was sent back for repair.

I have never posted to this sight and I''ve only read this forum for a few hours. So I hope my post is not out of line.

I guess I was looking for people to commiserate with or something.The jewelry is not in my budget and I didn''t plan on purchasing it. It was a major impulse buy. I have never done this before. I am trying to rationalize my purchase with, "most people have flat screen TV''s, I have jewelry".

The cruise ships are great at getting you all hyped up. I felt a bit hypnotized. But I have to say it was very fun. And the products are nice. Oh but the financial consequences are very painful.

Has anyone had similar experiences with a cruise?

CRUISE.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS blueskys! I''ve never been on a cruise and fortunately I don''t have any cruise-buyers'' remorse stories to share with you, but you might get some responses here. Your purchases look very sparkly from the pic you posted, and these WERE birthday presents, so you didn''t go terribly wrong I don''t think.
35.gif

eac

Shiny_Rock
I have to say, your vacation splurges look pretty and tasteful to me - apart from your problems with the ring, and lack of bargaining, I wouldn''t have buyer''s remorse!

Please rest assured that it''s not just you. A lot of jewelry sold at tourist locations doesn''t "go home" very well. I live in New Zealand, and you can buy some very expensive Maori carved jade and bone pendants, or abalone pearls set in gold, or peculiar artsy silver and paua things. In ultra-casual New Zealand, or in vacation clothes, these things look great. Back in the U.S., Europe, or Asia, they tend to be consigned to the bottom half of the jewelry box, left there to get dusty.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look very, very pretty to me. I love the contrasting blue and white and the fact that you have an entire set. I''m sorry the ring needs repairs and hope we get to see it when you get it back. Don''t feel too bad, after all it was a birthday splurge and every birthday girl deserves a splurge now and then!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look very pretty! We have had people come on this forum before with problems regarding jewelry bought while on cruises or in the Carribean islands, so we generally try to warn people not to buy there. But in your case, it was your birthday, so I can understand wanting a special treat!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome BLUESKYS
35.gif

Your new jewelry purchases are very nice..enjoy them!

Yes, we have a fair amount of clients annually who suffer from buyers remorse after a cruise vacation.

Mostly, poor craftsmanship, over graded diamonds, or misinformation more than price issues.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been on a lot of cruises, but never to Alaska. When I bought jewelry while I was on a cruise, I only bought from businesses that had branches in New York or Philadelphia. It's also fairly safe to buy from a shop on board the ship because you can always contact the cruise line if there is a problem. The things you bought look beautiful, and I hope any repairs will be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results