shape
carat
color
clarity

crown angles and fancy cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hi there, as previously mentioned i am in search for the perfect Marquise which I have discovered is quite difficult. Being a science girl I like all the numbers to be puuurfffect.

Presently, pricescope has a couple of stunning cuts however the sarin reports on these Marquise all have crown angles between 29-31. According to the limited info I have on crown angles and fancy shapes this is way to small an angle. What''s you guys opinion?

Yes, I know I am hung up on the numbers. Ce la vie!
34.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
generally speaking. marquise may have shallow chrown angles and still look good.
If it''s a fancy color marquise, then everything hinges on the appearance.

Cutters of fancy shapes fancy colors use many different combinations to get the best result in terms of color and briliance

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hate to admit it, but to find a precision cut fancy shape you either have to travel and look are millions of stones all over the world, or cut one yourself... I know, I tried (both actually)

Sad but true, fancy shapes are so ignored that their cuts are NOT precision, because no one knows how to calculate a "perfect" cut on something that can have a length to width ration of 1.06 to 1.3 or can be as round as a pear or as sharp as a sliver. It all depends on taste, and even with a constant crown and pav angle, you will have such varieties of appearance available.

You need to see as many stones in your color, clarity and price range, and just choose with your best judgement. If you truly wanted precision, the most precise cuts are round brilliants, so you may want to reconsider that option. I personally would rather a beautiful shaped stone with "imperfect" angles than a precision round brilliant, but that''s just my taste...
9.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
um it is a D color. I like em colorless :) Sorry but never heard of a crown angle affecting color.
33.gif

I guess you guys are right. That means I cannot buy on the internet then cuz it is not feasable to order 10 stones to check them out then return them. Looks like its downtown Los Angeles diamond district for me. Hope we have one!
41.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
me neither, but I have heard of it affecting clarity grades and appearance...

Enjoy your D. Good luck on your search.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2005 7:36:44 PM
Author: Nicrez
me neither, but I have heard of it affecting clarity grades and appearance...
34.gif
Colors are graded face up and cut does move color quite a bit - as long as there is any color that is.

Cut might help hide inclusions... that doest not affect the clarity grade. But the "eye clean" quality is priced beyond the clarity grade and there cut does play out again.

As long as there is color. And that's not "D" allright.

Anyway, if anyone can line up 10 marqs for you - it might happen in pictures sooner than on the ground. So you get to see something like this (below)...

DI40X_GIA-13285774.jpg

Or...

Marquise.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something simpler is already up there for ref.
(these were sized down for posting - the source presents 30X magnification)

Marqs1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well..

DSCN9e987.JPG

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
A few things were mentioned in this thread.

1) someone said that colros are graded Face Up - this is not true in the case of colorless or near colorless diamonds whch are graded looking thru the back of the stone

2) Crown angles will not affect clarity grade. I have seen diamonds which GIA graded SI2 where he imperfecton was nearly impossible to find- yet the amount and substance of the imperfection caused the SI2 grade. Therefore crown angles, although might visually help or hurt the way an imperfecton looks won''t affect the grade

3) It was also said that there are no precision Fancy Cuts- to whch I disagree. Although the only shape which wll devide perfectly is a round, that does not mean that the imperfect divisions neccesary in Fancy Shapes are not precise.

On the contrary it requires a high degree of precison to shape a rectangle ( or pear, marquise, oval etc), then overlay a shape which basically divides the diamond into 8 slices- that''s the basis of a round brlliant cut. It starts out with an 8 sided table, 8 top corner facets and 8 pavillions. Add all the rest of the facets and you have a modern round brilliant cut.

Imagine tryng to cut an oval pie into 8 equal slices- not easy.
But lovely when done properly

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmmmm did I miss the answer? What u all think of a crown angle of only 29 on a Marquise?
41.gif

Ok I am over it I found some with good crown angles but crappy pavian depth. hahaha the search continues.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results