shape
carat
color
clarity

Criteria for diamond earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jsstrong

Rough_Rock
For diamond earrings, is it true that VVS quality is overkill and that it''s better to trade off clarity for other aspects? What would experts say about criteria for diamond earrings?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely!!! With earrings you want to go for a nice pair of studs that are SI1 or SI2 in clarity. And for color I would go H-J. Check out the Expert selection from www.whiteflash.com these are very well cut and are ready to go. Good luck, and hope that helps you!!!
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i happen to have vs clarity earrings but it is only because everything else about them, specs. and size wise, was exactly what i was looking for. i wanted si clarity stones, but they just weren''t available in the size i wanted. since no one will ever be close enough to your ear to see inclusions, lower clarity is a great way to save $$. i would also suggest lower color. in well cut stones, you will never notice the difference between d-f/vs and i-j/si earrings. best of luck!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the other posters.

Here''s the thing...No one will ever look at diamond earrings as close as they''ll look at a ring...

I have a pair of earrings that have a slight visible inclusion that I can find when I really look for it - and have the diamond about 2 inches away...since no one will get that close to my ears, I don''t worry about it.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I too think that VVS is unnecessary for earrings. I recently dropped from F VS2 earrings to H SI2 earrings to gain in size and I have no regrets at all. You can''t see the difference on the ear.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Sounds unanimous here!

I agree that one really can come down in color and clarity when choosing earrings. I almost think it''s a waste to get top color/clarity stones for the ears!

What is important, I think, is that the stones are well cut.

I bought a pair of well cut G, I-1 studs for my niece, and they''re spectacular. Only very close scrutiny (in my case, with a loupe) reveals what inclusions there are.

I got a phone call from her mother recently. My niece was in a horse show, and apparently her earrings were visibly shining and blazing all the way across the arena!

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep cut is the king for a sparkly stone, and especially in earrings you can get away with more than most people are tolerant of in rings...I have I SI earrings but would not hesitate to go to J or K color as long as they were very well cut. Also it''s easier to get away with a lower clarity in earrings because they are on your head, people do not scrutinize them like they do a ring (aka grab the hand and stare) and sparkle obscures most basic inclusions even if they are visible.

I had G VS earrings and they were not well cut and my smaller I SI''s look 10000% better than my old earrings. Seeing is believing, if you can compare it will make you a believer.

Good luck!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ditto all the above. My studs are .45 each and one is VS2 and one is SI2. I can''t see any inclusions in either stone with the naked eye. (Both stones are killer cuts.) And oh, BTW, one stone is a J and one is a K - and (without getting out the high-powered loupe and reading the inscription) -- I can''t tell which is which!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have VS quality from Ashford.com. I love them. Very good price and VERY sparkly.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
I dont have much to add that hasnt been said, but I have a pair of I SI studs from whiteflash that are very well cut and sparkly and there is no hint of color or inclusions. cut cut cut!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results