shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy idea for a custom w-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I got engaged a little over a month ago & have switched from obsessing over my e-ring to obsessing over my w-ring.
20.gif

I had my e-ring custom made by Quest (love them!) & specified that I wanted to make sure that a w-band would be able to slide under my halo & fit nearly flush w/ my e-ring. I''ve tried on a few w-bands & it seems like some will work that way (it''s difficult to tell for sure b/c my ring size is 7 & most rings are too small for me to try on...
15.gif
)

Here''s my e-ring...

e-ring%20Image%203.JPG

e-ring%20Image%202.JPG

Initially, I thought I''d wind up going w/ a plain platinum band so that my w-ring wouldn''t detract from my e-ring. I''ve tried on a plain band & it''s ok, but doesn''t quite look like it matches my e-ring. (my e-ring has a triple shank so the plain w-bands looked a little too, well, plain.) Also, I thought that a thin band that was completely plain might look sad on its own if I ever wanted to wear it w/o my e-ring.

Then, I thought I might go w/ an eternity band. I love the look of the deco eternity bands. Fire Goddess'' new deco band is to die for & the marquise shaped pieces would almost match the pieces on the shoulders of my ring.

fgtwirly1.jpg

I''m afraid that a ring like this might look too busy w/ my e-ring.

I like the idea of having a very thin, bead set, milligrained band, which would coordinate w/ the halo of my e-ring. Here are 2 that have piqued my interest. From antique engagement rings:

diamondband_AER.jpg

I love the look of eternity bands, but would be concerned that they''re a) difficult/impossible to size, b) some people find them scratchy/uncomfortable to wear and c) I''d worry that, if they slid under the halo of my ring, that the diamonds eternity band would scratch, rub & damage my e-ring, or vice versa. But I love the look of a very thin thread of diamonds next to the shank of my e-ring.

So, this morning I had a crazy idea!

What if I could have a ring custom made that was very thin (1-2mm) & had bead-set diamonds & milligrained edges around most of the ring, but a plain flat (low) section in front of the ring that was just platinum (no diamonds) that would slide under the halo of the e-ring. I thought that having this section could eliminate the potential rubbing of diamonds against metal. It could also hold the band in place under the halo & against the shank of the e-ring. (Kind of like a notch) But if I ever wanted to wear the w-band alone, sans e-ring, I could just turn it around so that the plain section was at the back of my finger so it would look like an eternity band. Also, having a plain section in the ring would make it easily sizable down the road. So this would eliminate 2 of my 3 concerns about eternity rings.

Is this idea crazy, or could it work? Any suggestions?

Oh, here is the other eternity ring I was considering. (I haven''t figured out how to post attachments anyplace other than at the end of a post!) From Doyle & Doyle: (this one is thinner than the ring at AER--only 1.3mm wide & 1.4mm high, .2 ctw of E-F VS stones)

1.3mm bead set eternity band.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I think that idea is great, BS. You covered all your bases on that one. I don''t think an eternity band (or partial eternity) that is narrow (say 1 - 2 mm) is uncomfortable at all. The profile will be low, so you should not have any problem.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I think a eternity wedding ring would look lovely.

I wear them, they are not scratchy to me (and I have 3 sided)

I think with a "one" sided pave set miligrain edge band you wouldn''t have to worry about putting that platinum flat piece on it at all.

The shared prong settings.. where the edge of the diamond is exposed and can "cut" into a band sitting next to it.. on the bands you have selected they are pave''d... so the edges are sunken and have prongs holding around them.

So my .02 is to get a eternity band (no adjustments necessary) and it will look LOVELY with your e-ring!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would work fine.
Iv seen a few sets like that.
Id have the same place that did your e-ring do it.
They would likely require your ring for atleast the final fitting.

micci

Rough_Rock
hello all-

perhaps this might be the sort of thing you are looking for.

cartier reproduction wedding band.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that''s a great idea Brightspot! One of the iterations of my wedding set included a wedding band that was semi-eternity, but notched where it would fit under the halo of my engagement ring. I ended up going with a different design, but it was easy enough to do (though they do require taking your engagement ring for awhile to do it) and I think that your idea of the eternity band is a great one! It gives you versatility in looks as you said - the thin band won''t compete with the e-ring but will add some more visual interest, and then you can have something dainty and sparkly for when you''re not wearing your e-ring. I think it''s the ideal idea. Also, whlie I think a shared prong eternity band in some cases might take some getting used to with the comfort factor, I think a bead set version with milgraining won''t give you any problems at all. In my experience, I definitely noticed that if my shared prong semi eternity band spins and the prongs rub against my other fingers I notice it immediately, but with the deco band I don''t notice a thing.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great idea, and it will look beautiful with your ering. You''re one smart cookie, BrightSpot!!!!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I guess I got it into my head that ALL eternity bands would eat away at the rings they were next to. From what Laney & FG said, it seems that the shared prong rings are the biggest offenders?

So, in the eternity rings I posted above, if they slid under my halo, do you think the diamonds would eat away at the underside of the gallery in my ring, or would it be ok b/c the diamonds would be somewhat recessed so that the milligrain edging would be the part of the ring that would rub against the halo, not the diamonds themselves? If the pave is only 1-sided & prong-set the ring is milligrained, the diamonds wouldn''t rub against the shank, right?

If this is all true, then maybe it would be easier & less expensive to go for a ready made eternity band than to have a notched one custom made. (though it would be kind of nice if the notch kept the band in place & held it securely against the shank of my e-ring and would also be good for future sizing...)

This is so confusing...
32.gif
Why do I obsess so?
20.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A good jeweler can invisibly notch the underside of the ring so that an eternity ring can pass underneath the top of the engagement ring. In this way you can wear a straight ring that has diamonds all the way around and it won''t stick out and away from the main ring. It simply passes underneath. I hope you can get an understanding by where I put the notches in white. This is a rough sketch, of course. The jeweler would build a nice bridge work to support the top of the ring, but with or without the wedding on, no one would see this sort of alteration except by very close examination.

e-ring%20Image%202.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Altered photo this time....oops! no, next time

e-ring%20Image%203.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
finally, I hope.

I have no idea how to delete a photo!

DSA1.jpg

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Bright,

I think the idea you had is perfect! It will hold the w-band securely and can be resized in the future. I think with the stones so small, it should do that much damage to the underbelly of your e-ring.

I think you should make that idea a reality. It should work with your beautiful e-ring(I love seeing pics of it, any news pics lately?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results