shape
carat
color
clarity

craigslist experiences

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Have any of you used craigslist to sell any of your stuff? I've got a few items I'd like to sell and was wondering how it all works. I guess I should arrange to meet in a public place and only accept cash? Just curious to hear any of your experiences. These aren't jewelry items, by the way. Thanks!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi DS,

We have had great experiences with Craigslist. We only accept cash. We have never had any problems.

Linda

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve only sold some NBA tickets on Craigslist but it was super easy & free! I just had the guy meet my BF & I at a pizza place - I would definitely agree with the public place/cash only policy, and you can bring a friend along if that makes you feel better as well. It also hides your real email initially, so if you don''t want people calling you they can just email your CL email and it gets forwarded to your real email. Otherwise, you can post your number on there but I wouldn''t unless you''ve emailed them first. Also, make sure they meet somewhere near your place and get their phone number just in case they don''t show or are running late.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've sold TONS of stuff through Craigslist.

Here's what I learned:

- CASH only, no exceptions
- People will sometimes try to haggle when they're picking up the item
- I never have anyone come to the house w/o my DH here, and I always sign the e-mails with a male name
- I have people make "appointments" - and I always take their cell phone #s and call them about an hour - 1/2 hour before they're due. If they don't pick up I leave them a message tellling them that if I don't hear from them within 15 minutes or so I will assume they're not coming. I had a couple of no-shows, so this cuts down/eliminates that.
- People that are serious don't make it complicated and give you the run-around - they want to come pick up the stuff w/in a couple of days. I've found that it's usually a good indication they're serious if they want to call you to ask about the item.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Be on the safe side and leave some wiggle room in the price so you can deal. People who do Craigslist really like a bargain.
1.gif

Also know how to check if the cash is legit not counterfeit.

Mrs.2Artists

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I''m not as cautious as the rest of the posters it seems... When selling or buying furniture on CL, I have had people come to my house to take away a couch (not possible to take it somewhere neutral), and I have walked into peoples'' homes and walked out with a wooden chair, bookshelves, a sleigh bed frame...

Do not post your phone number or your personal email, CL gives you an anonymous email reply that people can use to email you. Do list the neighborhood/town you are in, do attach photos (personally I don''t even look if there are no photos), and ignore anyone who wants to send you a check, is out of the country and wants you to hold things... Yes, it could be a student on exchange, but more likely a scam artist. Just hit delete, do not reply to these people at all. Just as everyone else said, if you want to get paid, get cash only.

I find when posting that I get more replies with the more detail I provide, even explaining why I''m getting rid of such a spectacular item. Sometimes I put "free on the corner of x and y" to get rid of something large that someone might want, but the intersection is near my apt, not in front. That might be more for an urban student area though.

Good luck! I lurve Craig and his List!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I''m also not as cautious as some of the other. However, I''m ususally buying or selling sports tickets, and have never bought or sold anything over $500.

When I sell something... Remember:

- Craigslist is for getting rid of thigs that you would otherwise throw away or donate (other than jewelry of course)... so understand upfront, you''re not trying to get a 100% return. You''re just trying to get anything you can for it.
- Look around to see if anyone is selling the same item and what their price point is. If people can get it cheaper they will.
- If they''re are other items the same as yours, be as descriptive in your title as you can. Draw attention to your item.
- I NEVER have people come to my home, however I''ve never sold furniture, but be sure to have someone else there if they do pick up from your house.
- Do not wait for people that say they will come in a few days. Tell them you will hold it until you have another offer, or else they will put you on the backburner for quite a while.
- Always be sure to have a clear understanding with the buyer before they show up. Settle on the price before meeting!! I''ve never had anyone haggle with me about anything I''ve sold.

Best of Luck!!!
36.gif
Craigslist is a great community!!!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
We have some rental properties that we''ve listed on craigslist to find renters, and we filled them all within just a couple days time. We''ve been very impressed with how fast we got serious responses! (and for free, no less!!!)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I sold my car on CL, furniture, jewelry even. I found my apartment on CL.

CL isn''t ebay, so if they sound sketchy in their email, I just ignore. Why risk it? Cash only is a good rule (for the car I had my dad and BF at the time with me and we went to the bank). Meet at a neutral place if possible and bring someone with you...a rule I don''t follow but should.

Also, repost as often as you can. I usually don''t look past the first page unless I''m really searching for something specific. Good luck!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Things I've bought on Craigslist--car, furniture, tickets, vacation rentals

Things I've sold on Craigslist--cars, motorcycle, furniture

-Always have someone with you when a stranger comes to your house.
-Cash only and write up receipts that both of you sign and get copies of. Don't take checks. Anyone should be able to go to the ATM and get cash.
-Put good photos in your ad.
-Communicate several times to make sure their email and phone number are legit.
-Don't give out your address to anyone who is "just looking" or says they might stop by if they are in the neighborhood. Make specific appointments. Tell them to call if they decide not to come.
-Have the item for sale out in the open. It's better if you don't have to let someone in your house.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have sold a few things through Craiglist and all have been positive experiences. I would only accept cash.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results