shape
carat
color
clarity

cracked diamond - advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Londongirl

Rough_Rock
Hi - I was given a round cut, H grade VS1 1.1 carat diamond engagement ring two weeks ago. I did feel a tiny nick along the side of the stone when I received it, but thought nothing of it as I assumed it was part of the facets. Within a week I noticed a small crack in the stone, and now there is a crack across the whole stone!

The ring was bought from a reputable jewler in Hatton Garden, London. I''ve taken it back to the shop and they''ve sent it off to their lab and said ominously "we will agree a way forward next week". I''m now spending a dreadful weekend worrying about what might happen. My fiance is also very upset as he chose the diamond and was very careful to use a jewler as he felt it would guarentee quality and peace of mind.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I worry that as I didn''t say anything about the nick in the side when I got it, I will have no recourse.

I did put the ring on my house insurance when I received it - but don''t think we should be claiming - I think the shop should be replacing!!

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Londongirl,

So sorry to hear about this! If the diamond was a true VS stone, I cannot understand why this would happen. The small nick that you originally felt could have been just that "a small nick or indentation." Did you receive a laboratory report with a plot (diagram) of the diamond? If so, you could compare before and after. I would have another discussion about this with the seller. Please keep us posted! Good luck.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2006 2:53:52 PM
Author:Londongirl
Hi - I was given a round cut, H grade VS1 1.1 carat diamond engagement ring two weeks ago. I did feel a tiny nick along the side of the stone when I received it, but thought nothing of it as I assumed it was part of the facets. Within a week I noticed a small crack in the stone, and now there is a crack across the whole stone!

Does anyone have any advice for me? I worry that as I didn''t say anything about the nick in the side when I got it, I will have no recourse.

I did put the ring on my house insurance when I received it - but don''t think we should be claiming - I think the shop should be replacing!!

Any help/advice much appreciated.
I think you were remiss in not saying something immediately. There should not have been a nick in the side of the stone of a VS graded stone. Unfortunately the jeweler has no way of knowing now if his setter did it or if you banged the stone on a car door or in some other way damaged it. This is unfortunate, but it is a perfect example of why you were correct in putting it on your insurance.

If you feel certain the stone was damaged when you received it you can request that the stone be sent to one of the major labs such as the GIA or AGS who can inspect the stone at over 100 powers to see if there were drag lines on the facets of the stone broken with the cleavage. If it was there when the stone was polished this can prove that it was there as a pre-existing condition which should have been noted on the laboratory report that you received with the stone.

Oc course your insurance company will then want to deny the claim as a pre existing condition and throw it back on the jeweler.

Before you panic too much though I would wait until you talk with your jeweler on Monday, he did say he wanted to find a way forward, so it does not sound like he is blowing you off.

Wink

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Londongirl welcome to PS from another Brit
35.gif

I am really sorry this happened to you, I don''t have anything to add but I hope you can get a great replacement and please let us know how you get on.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
see what he says and if its not what you want to hear turn it over to your insurance and get on with life.
They will go after him if they think there is a case.
Life is too short to mess with it thats what insurance is for.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that you are having to go through this. I hope you get some good news in the morning. If not I would file a claim and move on from there.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Londongirl, I agree with Matatora. Even though I''m sure you have a sentimental attatchment to the ring You''ll be better off getting a new on. Don''t forget to show it off to us now.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results