shape
carat
color
clarity

Cousin drama!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hello there...I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I''m here to write for some advice. I need some perspective, and although I can''t go through EVERY detail on here, I am curious what you all have to say. This site has so many interesting people with different backgrounds and beliefs--and I have found that whenever I''ve posted anything, I have gotten truly insightful responses, so I am going to try it again here.

I''m having a serious problem with my cousin, C. C is my mother''s brother''s daughter. She had an incredibly difficult childhood--her father (my uncle) left her and her brother with her mother when they were young, when he came out of the closet. He later died from AIDS. C''s mother was a drug addict and, from what I understand, a prostitute. C had to grow up very early, took care of her younger brother, and has had plenty of reasons (in her mind) to be bitter and angry about life.

C is now about 45 years-old. She lives alone (well, with her dog), and works very hard and makes very good money. However, she also has made a lot of decisions about her life that either intentionally or subconsciously have forced her to be miserable--she works 14-hour days almost every day, she has been dating a married man for about 5 years (he is now divorced, but only recently, and now they hardly see each other)...things like that.

When I graduated from college in 2003, and was looking for jobs in the city, she insisted that I stay at her apartment. We spent a lot of time together back then--she paid for dinners, and all sorts of things, which I always argued. C and her brother brought me to Vegas for my college graduation present, she has paid for countless plays that she and my mother and I have seen together--all of which I tried to pay her back for, but she would never accept. She always said that she had the money and I didn''t, so she wanted to do it for me. I always appreciated what she did for me, but I always tried to pay her back.

Anyway, over the course of the last 3-4 years, C has become unbearably negative about my life. While I was in law school, she would repeatedly tell me that I was "floundering," that because my grades were not top notch, that I wasn''t trying hard enough, or that it was my boyfriend (now FI)''s fault that my grades were sub-par. She has never given FI a chance--she doesn''t know him at all (they''ve met maybe 3 times for a few hours), but has told me over and over that she doesn''t like me with him (and that she thinks he''s physically unattractive! what?). When I graduated from law school, she told me she was shocked that I made it through. She didn''t congratulate us when we got engaged.

C has always been negative about her own life--she has sort of a martyr attitude...nothing satisfies her more than to be able to proclaim that she works harder than anyone else, that she has it worse than anyone else, etc. And listen, I admit that she has had it rough, and I have had it easy in comparison--I have great parents who have always supported me, both emotionally and financially. But then again, my parents have ALWAYS been there for her too--for example, when she got kicked out of her last apartment and had to make a decision whether or not to buy the place where she now lives, my parents offered to pay for her down payment (they have ALWAYS, throughout her life, done things like that for her, and have always invited her to stay with them or to include her in any family activity--and my parents have always treated her and her brother like their own children, especially since my parents were married for many years before they did actually have children).

Anyway, there has been growing resentment between C and me for years. I don''t think I have had one single conversation with her over the course of the last 3 years when she hasn''t said or done something nasty about me or to me (or FI). She has hurt my mom''s feelings over and over again by refusing to call her back (my mom doesn''t ask much of her, but she is C''s only family besides C''s brother, and my mom has always wanted to make her feel loved)...it''s just a lot.

So here''s the issue at the moment: when I moved into my last apartment (before I moved in with FI), I had nothing. She has an apartment full of random things that don''t fit in her one-bedroom Manhattan apartment, so she gave me some stuff to alleviate the space problem at her place, and to fill up mine so it wasn''t empty. Among these items was an antique rocking chair that she purchased at some random sale some years ago--it was wicker and I noticed when I borrowed it that it was sagging in the middle.

now, my younger brother is ginormous, and I told him one time when he was at my apartment not to sit in the chair because it looked like it couldn''t take his weight. He, of course, ignored me, and basically sat right through the chair. I knew it would be expensive to re-cane it, but I figured--hey, it was in my possession when it was damaged, so I had to fix it (even though I was a student and totally broke). So, about a year and a half ago, I got an estimate for the repair--it was $650! I was told that the reason it was so expensive was because the chair had been repaired before, and that it was done improperly (glued instead of rebuilt, essentially), so instead of a couple hundred, the gentleman would have to basically rebuild the seat of the chair. He insisted that it didn''t matter how big the person was who sat in the chair--that because it was damaged before, it was certainly going to break at some point.

I intended just to get the chair fixed before giving it back to C, but my family convinced me to at least ask her if she cared if it was repaired or if the chair didn''t mean much to her. So, I did (this was April of 2007). C was aghast at the price to fix it--she said that it was like 3x what she had paid for the chair, so it wasn''t worth getting it fixed, and that she wouldn''t want anyone to spend that kind of money on a silly chair--so she said she would just put a throw pillow on the chair and not actually use it to sit (she never has guests at her apt anyway, she said). At that time, we left the chair at my parents'' house, and she said she would, at some point, re-arrange her apartment so she could take it back.

That was the last I thought about the situation until my mom mentioned to me, a couple of weeks ago, that she wanted to get rid of the chair--she didn''t have room for it. So, I wrote an email to C, telling her that we needed to figure out how I could bring the chair back to her.

Basically, C wrote me a series of very nasty emails, saying that she didn''t want a broken chair in her apartment--and acted as if we had never had the prior conversation at all. I told her fine, I would get it fixed, (even though I didn''t think it was fair that she was changing her mind after all this time, especially when I have so many more expenses no--I could have been saving for the past year and a half if I had known she DID want me to fix the chair after all)....
After a lot of back and forth, I told her that I was sick of her passive aggressivity, and I just wished that she had been honest with me from the get-go. She then got so furious that she said she didn''t want the chair back at all--she didn''t want me or my family to pay for the chair, and she didn''t want it in her apartment because seeing it there would only remind her of ME and this awful situation. She also informed me that she would not be joining us for Thanksgiving this year (one of the two times a year she agrees to see my family).

Now, my mother feels awful about the whole thing and is insisting that we get the chair fixed. She told me that she will pay for half and that I am responsible for the other half. Meanwhile, I know C will not accept it, and if my mom leaves it at C''s apartment (as is my mother''s plan), C will just throw it out. Now, I am not in a financial position to be paying upwards of $300 on something that is garbage, and I am sick and tired of my cousin''s manipulation and negativity. I would be more than happy to never talk to or see her again, but because my mother has all this guilt associated with C, that''s obviously not an option.

I guess I just don''t know. I am disgusted with my cousin and the way she has treated me for years. I am lucky to have the parents I do, and just because SHE had a terrible childhood doesn''t mean that I should have, or that I should feel guilty for having a good one. She has taken out her resentment in the nastiest of ways, and I''m just done with her.

Any advice? Feel free to tell me I''m being a b*tch too.
14.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I would explain ALL of how she has treated you to your mother, and explain to her that C does not want the chair and won''t accept it and she shouldn''t FEEL guilty because C originally told you not to fix it and if she''s going to pitch a fit that is her problem. I wouldn''t pay for it to be fixed. That''s just MVHO

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 4:51:33 PM
Author: dragonfly411
I would explain ALL of how she has treated you to your mother, and explain to her that C does not want the chair and won''t accept it and she shouldn''t FEEL guilty because C originally told you not to fix it and if she''s going to pitch a fit that is her problem. I wouldn''t pay for it to be fixed. That''s just MVHO
Big ditto. Your cousin sounds like a spoiled child to me. I''m sorry you have to deal with this.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems obvious but ... why isn't your brother paying to have the chair fixed? He broke it after you asked him not to sit in it! But, anyway, I'd get it in writing that she does not want the chair back. Find out what it cost originally & send her a check. Where the $$ comes from doesn't matter. Your mom? Your brother? You? Shared? Whatever. Pay her for the chair she LENT you. Her being "mean" to you should not affect the previous lending arrangement. Ultimately you're responsible, as YOU received the benefit of the chair.

Some people have problems when dynamics in relationships change. Sounds like she was comfortable with you when she felt superior to you ... but as you gain maturity & accomplishments, you've become more threatening. Now you are, sadly, her ENEMY. Proof of how fab her life would have been if all those bad things hadn't happened to her (in her mind at least.)

I doubt that without serious therapy & personal insight on HER PART, that her relationship with you will ever be more than cordial. If that. Your mom's relationship with her is your mom's business. NOT yours. For your own good & sanity: stay out of it.
1.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:02:27 PM
Author: decodelighted
Seems obvious but ... why isn''t your brother paying to have the chair fixed? He broke it after you asked him not to sit in it! But, anyway, I''d get it in writing that she does not want the chair back. Find out what it cost originally & send her a check. Where the $$ comes from doesn''t matter. Your mom? Your brother? You? Shared? Whatever. Pay her for the chair she LENT you.

Some people have problems when dynamics in relationships change. Sounds like she was comfortable with you when she felt superior to you ... but as you gain maturity & accomplishments, you''ve become more threatening. Now you are, sadly, her ENEMY. Proof of how fab her life would have been if all those bad things hadn''t happened to her (in her mind at least.)

I doubt that without serious therapy & personal insight on HER PART, that her relationship with you will ever be more than cordial. If that. Your mom''s relationship with her is your mom''s business. NOT yours. For your own good & sanity: stay out of it.
1.gif
Yeah, I''m with you on the bro thing. But my brother is a super immature 21 year-old who lives at home and is broke. My mom paying for half is basically paying for my brother''s responsibility in the matter. If she is going to have him owe it back to her is between the two of them, as far as I''m concerned.

I would be happy to write her a check for the chair! But at this point, we''re not even speaking/writing. I would have been fine with paying for the repair too--but like I said--she insisted that I not.

I agree with you about our relationship--I have given up. As far as I''m concerned, she should be apologizing to me for all that she''s done, but I know she won''t, so I''m just done with her. I refuse to be treated the way she treats me--I don''t deserve it and I find it disgusting. I''m totally with you on her relationship with my mom being between the two of them.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
You are not being a bit@#, but maybe you should be! Your cousin sounds like the kind of person who is (like you said) passive aggressive and needs to have some sort of drama in their life. Don''t worry about the stupid chair. She said she doesn''t want you to fix it and doesn''t want a broken chair. Throw it away. If she gets pissed, it''s her fault. Your mother will get over it. If I were you I would try to steer clear from her from now on. I do have some family who is like this, and I generally try to avoid them. When I do see them I do not really tell them anything to personal about my life. She is trying to make you and your family feel bad by declining to have Thanksgiving with you. Let her lie in her own bed and say OK. You all will have a wonderful time and she will be by herself, or with other friends, or whatever. She is making her own decisions about how to lead her life. You cannot be held accountable for her self-made misery.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 4:53:53 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 10/20/2008 4:51:33 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Big ditto. Your cousin sounds like a spoiled child to me. I''m sorry you have to deal with this.
Thanks for understanding, Haven and dragonfly411!

My mom knows better than anyone what C has said to and about me (she told my mom years ago that I''d never make it through law school). But, my mom still feels responsible for her in a way. Mom knows that C says she doesn''t want the chair, but my mom is stubborn and irrational--she said, "I don''t care if C wants it--this is what I want to do, and that''s that."

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Ali- Can you just get the chair glued in the half-a$$ way they did it before? Then you are returning the goods exactly the way you were given them.

I think it''s a waste of money to get it fixed, because it sounds like she''ll chunk it in the closest dumpster possible when you return it. But if you''re going to get it fixed, do it as cheaply as possible.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:10:20 PM
Author: Tuckins1
You are not being a bit@#, but maybe you should be! Your cousin sounds like the kind of person who is (like you said) passive aggressive and needs to have some sort of drama in their life. Don''t worry about the stupid chair. She said she doesn''t want you to fix it and doesn''t want a broken chair. Throw it away. If she gets pissed, it''s her fault. Your mother will get over it. If I were you I would try to steer clear from her from now on. I do have some family who is like this, and I generally try to avoid them. When I do see them I do not really tell them anything to personal about my life. She is trying to make you and your family feel bad by declining to have Thanksgiving with you. Let her lie in her own bed and say OK. You all will have a wonderful time and she will be by herself, or with other friends, or whatever. She is making her own decisions about how to lead her life. You cannot be held accountable for her self-made misery.

Truth be told, I was a b*tch in my last email(s) to her. I had had it, and totally lost my cool.

this is how the last few emails between us went:

to: C

so what you''re saying is that (in your passive aggressive way), contrary to what you told me a year ago, you do want me to fix it--right?

I will split the cost with you if you want it fixed, since (1) if I remember correctly, it was between $400-$500 to repair, which is money that I just don''t have, and (2) the fact of the matter is, when I brought it to the caning store, they told me that it did not break because someone (bro) sat in it--it was broken because the frame had been improperly repaired to begin with (I assume before you bought it years ago). I can show you the damage that the guy at the repair shop showed me. I told him that I was sure that it was my 230+ lb. brother''s fault, and the repairman insisted that it couldn''t be.

honestly, C, as annoying as this situation is to you, it''s not my mother''s responsibility to hold onto things that you don''t have room for. and I live in a one bedroom apartment with two people, and have as much or less storage than you do--if I hadn''t taken the chair from you three years ago, you''d still have it in your apartment. if you would like my mom to hold onto it, that''s something you''ll have to take up with her, because she''s been on a rampage with me to remove many of my things that I''ve stored at her house.

to: me

OK - you really want to do this with me - fine

First of all - I am not being passive agressivr at all - think I am being as honest as possible without being brutely honest and really say ...

When a person, in this situation I mean you, borrows something (definition being something like - To obtain or receive (something) on loan with the promise or understanding of returning it or its equivalen), it would be expected that it gets returned it somewhat the same condition as it was given. The fact that becasue of your current situation (both financially and living wise) you were not able to keep it in you home untill you could afford to fix it and choose to ask your mother to hold it, certainl,y has nothing to do with me. I agree with your mother, if she needs the space, she should not have to keep it there. I do not hold her responsible, I hold you responsible.

When the chair (allong with the other thinngs I lent you when you had just moved it) was somethings that you needed, all was fine. I did not hesitate to lend anything to you. But it seems as soon as your situation changed, you changed. It also seems that once the chair go broken, it sudenly becasme my responsibility (even though I din''t find out till way after it was broken). And that frankly is not right that it has become my problem.

I assumed that when you put it at your parents - you were waiting to figure out then next move. I did not think that it was now my problem to figure out.

This chair was an antique, as you know. Of course it was not perfect. So the fact that you are throwing these statics at me of what the cause was - is so irrevelant. You borrowed it, and it was working fine. You used it many times - it worked fine. And then during a course of a party or event or whatever - it became broken - is somehow now becasue it is not structurally sound - is just an irrational argument. I guess that means that if the air mattress has a hole now - that I should fix that too?

Yes - if you hadn''t taken it (well over 3 years ago at this point) - it would still be at my place and it would be fine. The fact that I am saying now that I don''t want or have the space to store a broken chair seems extremely logical to me.

You should take the responsibility. Not your mother and not me. You are an adult. I did something that was ment to help you, and you then send me an email like that - just don''t. Maybe it was the way that you wrote that email - not really sure, but ...

I am going to seperate myself from this for the night. I think if I continue I am gloing to say things I will regret.

I will let you know something tomorrow
c

to: C

C,

All I wish is that you would have TOLD me what you ACTUALLY wanted me to do, instead of leading me to believe something that was not true. When I brought this up to you a year and a half ago, you clearly informed me that you didn''t care if it was simply a decorative piece for which you would buy a throw pillow (and for which I would gladly pay, obviously). I believed that you were being honest--that you didn''t want anyone to pay for the repair, since the repair would be worth more than the chair itself...because that''s what you SAID. I remember the same thing happened when you were moving out of your old apartment--I called you and called you and called you, offering to help you pack, and each time I called, you told me you didn''t need my help, that I would just get in the way...and then, after the fact, you were FURIOUS at me for not helping. Obviously you expect people to know that, when you tell them one thing, you mean the opposite, and I don''t operate that way, so I have been repeatedly burned by that quality of yours--that passive aggressiveness. It is equally passive aggressive of you to tell me to throw out the chair that you so clearly want repaired. I won''t demean you to imply that you don''t know what "passive aggressivity" is--but perhaps you don''t realize when you are doing it. Or--maybe you''re not being passive aggressive--maybe you''re simply lying.

So, fine! Now that you have finally been honest with me (which is all I have ever asked you to do)--that you DID want me to repair it, I''ll get it done--I would have done that to begin with, if you had told me that''s what you wanted when I told you about it, on Passover in 2007! (If you had been honest with me at that time, however, I would have had a year and a half to save for that expense, which for me is a significant one--and of course it does not change the character of the repair or our current anger toward each other, but in the interest of full disclosure, I remembered the price wrong--I looked up the estimate again, and it was $650).

I intended, when the damage was done, to be responsible for that expense--I intended to have the chair repaired so that it was actually in better condition than when it was lent to me, since it now cannot be repaired without rebuilding the structure that was unsound at the time I received it. That is relevant, whether or not you choose to believe it. It doesn''t change the fact that you want me to be responsible for its repair--but it is relevant to tell you what repairwork is required, and the fact that the reason that the repair is more expensive than the chair itself is most definitely pertinent. Essentially, he has to rebuild the foundational aspects of the chair, which is what makes fixing it so costly.

I was dissuaded from my initial position of just fixing it without telling you when I was advised to at least ask you before I made any investment in a chair you very well might not care about. And, when I brought it up to you, you DID tell me that it wasn''t important to you, and that you didn''t want me to spend the money. That, I see now, was another passive aggressive statement. The truth--to which you have now finally admitted--is that you do want the chair repaired. Understandable. I''ll do it. I just wish you would have told me that a year and a half ago, when I could have prepared for an expense like that.

I know you love to find things wrong with me (and with everyone, and with the world), and you think of me as being spoiled and selfish and unappreciative of what I have. Honestly, I don''t care what you think of me. I certainly have nothing to prove to you. I''m an adult, as you so lovingly point out, and I certainly don''t need your help. In fact, if I''ve learned one thing from you, it''s never to accept help that is offered to me, especially when it''s offered by someone who loves nothing more than to see me fail. All of this, from the same person who told me that she was surprised that I graduated from law school. Since you''re so big on definitions, what exactly would you call a person who treats another person with such disdain??

I will hopefully have the chair done by Thanksgiving so that I can get it to your apartment. If the work is completed after Thanksgiving, I''ll work it out with you to let you know when you can prepare for its arrival.

I am very sorry I have borrowed or taken anything from you. But moreso, I am sorry that I have let your negativity affect me so much for so long. I''m not doing it anymore. I''m sorry you''re so unhappy about so much, and it''s sad that you include me in all of that toxicity, but I refuse to be a part of it anymore.

It''s a shame that you couldn''t just be honest with me from the beginning. This would have been resolved many months ago, without the need for hostility, on either side.

to: me

I wrote a very elaborate response to this email that you sent - and have decided I will not be sending it at all. This is all I will be saying.

let me make this real clear to you:

I don''t want this chair any longer (Don''t spend a dime of your or your parents money fixing it) because if it was in my house it would make me think of you and this whole situation.

I will not be coming to Thanksgiving this year (I will let your mother know). I have no desire to be there any longer.

Do not EVER again try and tell me what I am thinking or what my life is all about.
C-

that''s the last time we corresponded--which was 10/8...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not about the chair. You could have it restored to museum quality, and it wouldn''t be good enough.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:18:23 PM
Author: meresal
Ali- Can you just get the chair glued in the half-a$$ way they did it before? Then you are returning the goods exactly the way you were given them.

I think it''s a waste of money to get it fixed, because it sounds like she''ll chunk it in the closest dumpster possible when you return it. But if you''re going to get it fixed, do it as cheaply as possible.
Meresal,

Yes, I would totally do that--except, because it''s an antique, no one wants to ruin its possible value, so I haven''t been able to find a store who will do a half-a$$ job
7.gif
Thanks for the idea--I was totally thinking the same.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:21:02 PM
Author: Kaleigh
It''s not about the chair. You could have it restored to museum quality, and it wouldn''t be good enough.
You are so right, Kaleigh. so right.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Well... OK maybe you were, but I think it was appropriate! It''s ok to be a witch sometimes!
28.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
boy what a mess....

OK here is the bottom line:
You borrowed something you are responsible to return it in the condition it was received.
Period!

This should have never blown up like this as it is your and partially your brothers responsibility to fix and return it.

There are larger issues in your relationship that this does not address but when it comes to the chair it is pretty clear cut.

You borrowed it.
Under your care it got broke.
You fix it and return it in the condition you received it or better.
That is the right thing to do. Period.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to assume your a lawyer by your screen name.

Lets take this before a judge LAW:
Her: I loaned a chair exhibit A to alli_esq.
It was in functional condition when she borrowed it.
I am suing for $XXX to have it repaired.

You: My brother sat in it and broke it and it wasn''t that good to begin with so I don''t have to pay.

How will the judge rule under the laws in your state?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. If I were you, maybe I wouldn''t have sent those emails, but what''s done is done, and it seems like perhaps what you wrote was something that needed to be said. I would try to wash my hands of this whole ordeal, meaning don''t fix the chair, and don''t send any more emails. If your mother is dying to fix it, let her, but don''t let this affect you any more. It doesn''t sound like there''s anything else you can do.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 6:50:09 PM
Author: strmrdr
boy what a mess....

OK here is the bottom line:
You borrowed something you are responsible to return it in the condition it was received.
Period!

This should have never blown up like this as it is your and partially your brothers responsibility to fix and return it.

There are larger issues in your relationship that this does not address but when it comes to the chair it is pretty clear cut.

You borrowed it.
Under your care it got broke.
You fix it and return it in the condition you received it or better.
That is the right thing to do. Period.
ITA
36.gif
36.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, Alli! I have the sneaking suspicion that I''m not going to make myself popular with this observation, but ... it''s not about the chair *on either side.* From the sound of it, you''ve been growing more and more frustrated with your cousin over the course of the last several years - her reactions to your various successes, her general outlook on life, the whole shebang. And it sounds like that''s leaking out into this situation, because the bottom line is, you didn''t do her a favor by taking the chair off her hands, over-crowded apartment or not ... she did you a favor by loaning it to you. Is she being gracious about the favor having gone wrong with your brother''s damaging the chair? Well, no (though I am wondering what she said just prior to the first e-mail that you posted, prompting the thing about the passive-aggression). Is she still technically the one who''s been wronged here? Well, yeah.

I know this isn''t what you want to hear, but I think you owe your cousin an apology* (and a fixed chair or its equivalent value), and I think that maybe it might be good for both of you to sit down and clear the air to see where all of this negativity is coming from - ''cause, passive-aggressive or not, negative or not ... she''s your family, dude. Letting a broken chair get in the way of that seems kind of forest-for-the-trees, no?

*For that matter, she owes you an apology or two too, but that is completely separate from The Affair of the Chair.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It isn''t clear. Did you borrow the chair or did she give it to you?

If you borrowed it, it should be repaired (repaired to the quality it was, not made into a museum piece) and returned. Whether she throws it away or not is her choice.

If she gave it to you and you don''t want it any more, sell it "as is" and give her the money. (people will buy antiques with broken caning and fit it themselves to resell)

It''s a lot of hoopla over an old chair. You and your cousin are never going to get along. Time to fix the problem and move on.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not spend a penny on it. She has made herself clear. Also, it was an accident, so I would not get too worked up, as the guy said, it was improperly fixed and would have gone at some point.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would scrap the chair and cut all contact with her. But thats just me. Its all gotten out of hand.

She emailed you that she didn''t want the chair repaired. So find a home for it and move on.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
thank you to everyone who responded!

strmdrdr: you are absolutely right in that it was my responsibility (and was the right thing to do) to give it back to her in the same condition it was received. I don''t disagree at all--that is why I was going to fix it in the first place (and why I said I would do it after she made it clear this time that she did in fact want it fixed). If it had been a few hundred dollars, I never would have even mentioned it to her--I just would have done it. But, because it was SO expensive (to me, $650 is quite a lot of money), I thought it was wise to check with her before I got it fixed, because there was always the chance that she didn''t care that much about the chair. And, when she told me she DIDN''T care about the chair, I saw no reason to fix it. And yes, there are absolutely larger issues--and this isn''t about who would be LEGALLY responsible for the chair, since neither of us is going to court over this; if she said she wanted it fixed, I would fix it. However, I am not in the business of throwing out money--if she doesn''t want it, she doesn''t want it...why should I throw my hard-earned money down the tube?

But, if you do want to look at it legally (which really isn''t relevant here because I would have taken care of it if she ever said she wanted it fixed), think of it like this: C lends A C''s used car. A drives it normally for three miles. Then, the transmission blows. The transmission did not blow because of A''s mishandling of the car, but because there was a faulty transmission. Who should be responsible for the replacing of the transmission? In my case, I used the chair for its normal use--sitting. The reason it broke was because of a faulty repair job.

I''m not disagreeing with you, though--you are right. And if at any time she said to me, "Alli, just fix it" or "you know, I do care about that chair," I would have very agreeably fixed it. The end.

kittybean: yeah, I think I''m just going to let sleeping dogs lie at this point. I''m sick of letting her bother me.

circe: that is totally true. I have had it with her for SO many reasons, not just for a silly chair. I probably should have addressed things with her before this situation, but it never seemed worth it to me. Now that she has been so blatant and obvious about her inconsistency and passive aggressivity, though, I just couldn''t take it anymore and blew up.

I understand your point, I do--and I''m sure you''re right. But I know my cousin and I know how negative she is, and although I may at some point be at the place where I could apologize to her, I''m not there yet. I will not apologize for not fixing a chair that she told me not to fix--like I said before, I would have repaired it immediately if she had said ANYTHING OTHER than "don''t fix it--I don''t want you to." She''s family, it''s true--but I would never let anyone speak to me the way she has, and just because we''re blood doesn''t give her the right to sh*t on my decisions or my life in general. I have let her for years, and I just can''t do it anymore. I know she won''t accept anything I have to say--she''s so stubborn and hates me anyway, so I guess the way I see it, I don''t think I could do anything at this point to right the situation.

swingirl: sorry I was unclear--she lent it to me. I guess I could try to sell it, but I have no idea how much it''s worth. Also, my mother is now in possession of the chair, and wouldn''t let me do anything. At this point, it looks like Mom is repairing it no matter what I say or do.
40.gif

diamondfan and Maisie: that''s just exactly what my FI keeps telling me.

Thank you all again for your honesty. I do need people to just hit me upside my head.
40.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Alli, you've always seemed like a nice girl from your posts here, and I'm afraid my answer might not be the one you're looking for and as a result might come off as harsh. But... I agree with Karl, and for the same reasons. There are many other options for you to make her whole, and you giving her a broken chair, an excuse why it shouldn't be your problem, and the insult of calling her "passive-aggressive" really isn't fair in a way you might not be seeing right now.

In my opinion, the upright thing to do would have been to call her, and when she agreed that a repair that cost three times the purchase price was absurd, to apologize and offer to go shopping with her and pay for a replacement of similar value ($200). She did a nice thing FOR YOU when she loaned you a chair. She did not freak out when she heard it was broken. She was not the one to ask your mother to hold onto a broken chair. She did not demand that the only way to "make her whole" was to spend 3 times the value on a repair; if anything she seems like she's been pretty easygoing for a long time. Heck, she didn't even press the issue when you were a staving student. And darlin', I know you're normally a sweetie in your posts here, but I'm afraid I have to agree with your assessment that you were a bit of a B* when you started off your letter to her with the words, "So what you're saying is that (in your passive aggressive way)...".

This might not be what you want to hear, but based on the facts you've shared I think your cousin deserves an apology. You've not treated her, or her generosity to you, kindly. Things turned bad; I get that. In the eyes of the law, she would likely be entitled to a replacement chair of equal value to the chair she lost (i.e. the $200 she had paid for the chair when it was in the same condition as when she loaned it to you); since you posted this issue for feedback from the peanut gallery, I will say that this peanut thinks you should eat a little crow, apologize for saying that unkind thing, appreciate that she helped you out by loaning the chair in the first place, and offer to reimburse her the amount she paid for the chair ($200). If you think your brother is partially responsible, it is up to you --not her-- to seek that reimbursement from him.

Sorry, sweetie. I know it's probably not the answer you were hoping to hear.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay, heres the thing...once upon a time, your cousin was very good to you and a huge source of support. She was very generous, and giving, and kind. Prehaps she feels lonely, or forgotten as you''ve moved on with your life...but regardless, you both seem and sound seriously hurt.

E-mail, IMO, is the worst way to convey feelings when the issue is a serious matter. Seriously, its the pits. You cannot properly express yourself, and you leave the situation open to major misinteruptations. It can escalate quickly and soon becomes bigger than it ever needed to be. Sounds like you and C fell victim to this.

At this point, I would issue C a check for the cost of the chair and leave well enough alone. You''re family, and eventually (hopefully) you''ll be able to reconcile enough to talk--really talk. Face to face, I would express the way what she says effects you. Maybe there''s still hope.

Good luck...but you can''t just throw the chair away, a loan is a loan...and it needs to be paid back one way or another.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Her last e-mail said don''t fix the chair, so I wouldn''t fix the chair. She made her bed-let her lie in it.

And I don''t think you were out of line with your e-mails, either. Of course it would have been better to address this a while ago, but you can''t turn back time!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
It''s getting nippy! Got kindling?

flame-1.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 7:56:13 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Alli, you''ve always seemed like a nice girl from your posts here, and I''m afraid my answer might not be the one you''re looking for and as a result might come off as harsh. But... I agree with Karl, and for the same reasons. There are many other options for you to make her whole, and you giving her a broken chair, an excuse why it shouldn''t be your problem, and the insult of calling her ''passive-aggressive'' really isn''t fair in a way you might not be seeing right now.

In my opinion, the upright thing to do would have been to call her, and when she agreed that a repair that cost three times the purchase price was absurd, to apologize and offer to go shopping with her and pay for a replacement of similar value ($200). She did a nice thing FOR YOU when she loaned you a chair. She did not freak out when she heard it was broken. She was not the one to ask your mother to hold onto a broken chair. She did not demand that the only way to ''make her whole'' was to spend 3 times the value on a repair; if anything she seems like she''s been pretty easygoing for a long time. Heck, she didn''t even press the issue when you were a staving student. And darlin'', I know you''re normally a sweetie in your posts here, but I''m afraid I have to agree with your assessment that you were a bit of a B* when you started off your letter to her with the words, ''So what you''re saying is that (in your passive aggressive way)...''.

This might not be what you want to hear, but based on the facts you''ve shared I think your cousin deserves an apology. You''ve not treated her, or her generosity to you, kindly. Things turned bad; I get that. In the eyes of the law, she would likely be entitled to a replacement chair of equal value to the chair she lost (i.e. the $200 she had paid for the chair when it was in the same condition as when she loaned it to you); since you posted this issue for feedback from the peanut gallery, I will say that this peanut thinks you should eat a little crow, apologize for saying that unkind thing, appreciate that she helped you out by loaning the chair in the first place, and offer to reimburse her the amount she paid for the chair ($200). If you think your brother is partially responsible, it is up to you --not her-- to seek that reimbursement from him.

Sorry, sweetie. I know it''s probably not the answer you were hoping to hear.
sage advice. probably the way most in this situation would wish to be treated.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
This has nothing to do with the chair.
She is a deeply troubled woman, that is not a get out of therapy free card, but out of respect for family, or for what she has been to you in the past...can you put forward an olive branch? Not a chair. Don''t touch that, its not about that anymore. She will want to accept that olive branch eventually, but might need to simmer alone for this thanksgiving, but perhaps by Pesah she will be missing everyone...
But about the chair...you could take a caning class and use that as your project. Friends took a caning class to redo their dining room chairs (sagging from nana), and the classes were about $100 at an adult ed, 92nd st YMCA kind of thing. Not that you aren''t an amazing caner, but that is an affordable option for getting it done for eventual decision-making.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with Kaleigh it is NOT about the chair at all...that is a means to an end. If not that, it would have been something else.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:22:30 PM
Author: alli_esq

Date: 10/20/2008 5:21:02 PM
Author: Kaleigh
You are so right, Kaleigh. so right.
Proceed with caution. I have dealt with family members like this. Ya never win. Not that it''s about winning. You could move heaven and earth and still come up short, according to them. It''s so not about YOU. She''s miserable, and chooses to remain so. You can''t do anything to change that. I am more concerned with you, your Mom, etc....
I''d take a pass on the whole thing. You tried, but now it''s time to let things lie.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results