shape
carat
color
clarity

Could use some help picking out a Princess cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brindelin

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''ve been looking at buying a Princess cut diamond for a few months now from the various online diamond sites.

I read quite a bit on round diamonds before finding out my fiancee would prefer a princess cut. I''ve been able to trim down most of the specs for the easy parts of the diamond .60-.75 carat, F-H Color, VS2-SI1 clarity. When it comes to cut though I''m grasping for straws, I understand what each of the individual pieces of the cut means but how they go together to form a stunning diamond I still can''t say I get.

People here have told me that relying on what a wesbsite classifies as Ideal or Premium isn''t smart and I''ve noticed that some of the sites will label something as ideal that doesn''t fit the ideal standards posted on pricescope.

I''m going to post a few diamonds below(all Blue Nile since they provide all the specs online) and if anyone could tell me what they like and don''t like about the each diamond I would really appreciate it. Also if anyone has seen a diamond with the specs I listed in the 1400-2100 range I''m all ears.

Ideal .62 Blue Nile diamond

.68 Very good Cut Princess Blue Nile

.71 Carat Princess Blue Nile

This one is similar to the one above only the polish symmetry isn''t as good.

.71 Carat Blue Nile

Thanks I appreciate any help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oddly enough, the signature princesses come with a bit more info, but since the others do not, there's no chance to compare stones and decide. AGS decided that allot more information is needed to describe cut quality for this shape.

Both AGS and BN Signature princess cuts come at a premium. Which is worth what - remains up to you,'Brindelin'.
38.gif

My 2c

Date: 12/15/2005 5:16:17 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Blue nile give sausage gradings for cut.

useless data

For the 'signature' princess cuts there are GCAL reports with some more detail (snapshot below) - enough for the AGA grading (Useless? I wish there was more detail about what those grades are good for from the source).

GCALii.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey brindelin
35.gif

did you try using the ''pricescope your diamond'' search at the top of this page?

brindelin

Rough_Rock
Belle - I did use the search at the top of the page resulting in three hits.

However, I can't tell what information if offers that the diamonds I posted earlier do not. Let me ask this what piece of information would I need to provide alongside the previous diamonds to judge it's cut? Crown and Pavilion?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehehe....well...did you like any of those 3?
20.gif

you could also try searching all. you will get a lot of virtual stones, but you won''t be any worse off since bluenile is a drop shipper.

crown/pavillion angles would be great and idealscope images would be awesome
2.gif

sight unseen you can still narrow by the information you have provided. i would keep the table in the mid-high 60''s and the depth in the mid low 70''s.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results