shape
carat
color
clarity

Could this be the one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I posted these specs in the diamond hangout forum, but I thought I'd post them here as well. I am considering an upgrade from my ideal cut 1.53 to the following stone. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm hoping I'll be able to either tomorrow or Friday! Can't wait. Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts and opinions. Thanks!!

AGS Ideal Cut, H & A
Weight: 2.353 ct
Measurements: 8.66 x 8.72 x 5.20
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 59.8%
Table: 56%
Pavilion angle: 40.6
Pavilion depth: 42.7%
Crown angle: 33.8
Crown percentage: 14.6%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Flourescence: Negligible

ETA: this diamond scores a .5 on the HCA which I understand may not be a good thing?

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
I understand that some people prefer different levels on the HCA, but I can''t find too much bad to say about those stats. If you''re serious, I would say that definitely deserves a strong look.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally I''d steer clear of these angles as they will produce a dark looking stone with too much obstruction for my taste. This is a shallow/shallow combo that will fare well in certain light conditions but suffer in others. Sure there is much worse but it depends if you''re after the best appearance in all light conditions. Using the default lower girdle/star info on GIA''s cut calculator this stone gets a Grade 2 or "Very Good" classification and not a Grade 1 ... and we are finding quite a lot of tolerance in Grade 1 specs, at least so far with regards to steep/deep combos. I''d keep hunting.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/3/2005 9:55:23 PM
Author: mrmedoes
I understand that some people prefer different levels on the HCA, but I can''t find too much bad to say about those stats. If you''re serious, I would say that definitely deserves a strong look.
I would agree. It should be seen and compared to a stone with better stats and in as many light conditions as you can see it in. Bear in mind mrmedoes that the HCA favors shallow combinations as it is tailored to Garry''s personal preferences under the FireScope. I''m not saying there''s anything wrong with Garry''s opinion but his may not be the same as others, just as mine may not be.

Peace,

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I wondered about those specs. They''re not what I''m used to seeing in ideal cut H&As. Typically, I like to see stones in the 60.8% range for depth and a steeper crown angle. Kind of disappointing to hear my fears confirmed. My jeweler, however, is a graduate gemologist and a great friend, so I know she won''t let me get anything other than the best. She hasn''t seen the stone yet either, but thought it was worth looking at. We''ll see. I''m not very patient, but I think I''ll have to work on that so I can get the best stone possible. My 1.5 is such a gorgeous cut; I refuse to sacrifice cut for size.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Don''t settle! When it''s the right stone, you''ll know it!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Rhino -- quick question: is it the depth percentage or the shallower crown angle that bothers you, or a combination of the 2? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results