shape
carat
color
clarity

Couch to 5k?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Hi all.

I was just wondering if anyone has completed this, and what you all thought?
I am NOT a jogger. I''ve always hated doing it. But, I turned 27 last Friday and something clicked in my head---I just feel like I really need a life make-over. A complete re-do of my mind and body. Well, not a re-do, but a tune-up.

Anyway, I''m notorious for starting things and then giving up on them (like my vegetarian "phase" that I really wanted to see through.) So I was wondering if anyone else is doing the couch to 5k. I did my first jog this morning (a rotation of 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes). It was harder than I thought it was going to be, but that is most likely because I''ve smoked for the last 12 years (something I''m also working on) and I''m completely out of shape.

So if anyone else is doing it (or wants to do it), would you want to cheer each other on?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''m not doing it, but have thought about it for a long time and have a few friends who have done it. YOU CAN DO IT!!! It sucks at first but will get better (and I bet it will feel better when you kick smoking too
3.gif
)

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I did it when I had my first son. I really HATED running, even in high school when I was at my most fit. But, I needed to do something to get the weight off after I had him, and just walking wasn''t cutting it. So I researched and found the couch to 5k program. It really did work, although I believe (it''s been 4 years or so) that I didn''t do it quite as quickly as it said. I think I repeated a few weeks b/c I just hadn''t built up to running that much at once. But I kept at it, and eventually could run 3 miles several days per week and found myself to be in the best shape I''d been in since high school. It really is amazing what running can do for your body. I am giving birth in a week, and once I''m cleared for exercise, I plan to start the program again. I will probably still modify it some to start out slower, but the point is if you keep doing it, you will eventually build up. Good luck and keep us posted!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I did it! (sort of)

I did it through a near by running store but it was called "Learn to Run". It basically followed the same pattern but I think it ramped up a bit quicker near the end as it only spread out over 2 weeks.

The class was just once a week and you were supposed to practice 2 times on your own (or with them if you wanted). At first, I didn''t practice. I was fine for a while, until we hit 3 minutes of running and one minute of walking. Oh god. I almost keeled over and died. L O N G E S T three minutes of my life!

I started practicing after that twice a week. hee hee.

You will be amazed at what your body can do. Your cardio will improve so rapidly if you keep up with it. Once I started practicing, increasing the running time wasn''t tough! Sure I was tired at the end, but I never felt like stopping or walking when I wasn''t supposed to.

Anyways - all this to say that it is a GREAT program that works. You just have to stick with it and do it three times a week or else you will HURT. ha.

Good luck!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I did the 2nd run last night (still doing 60 seconds running/90 seconds walking).
The first time I ran was weird/awful. It was mid-morning and very hot outside (I''m in TX). The garbage guys were in the neighborhood picking up trash and I passed them like 7 times. lol.
And the next day I was SO SORE. I could barely move. Muscles I didn''t even know I had were hurting.

Last night I did my second run, this time with DH. We waited until after the sun went down. It was great because we pushed each other to finish. And I''m not sore today!!!
36.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
The Couch to 5k program is a great way to get you started running! If you are really out of shape or it has been a long time since you;ve done any running, you might have to repeat some of the weeks, but it is well worth it.

I have done some running, off and on, over the years. Last Jan, I had foot surgery and wasn''t able to go to the gym for a long time. Around Sept, I decided I wanted to start running again, so I did this program with my daughter. By week three I was able to run a mile on my own so stopped with the program. I feel like I wouldn;t have gotten there that fast had I not done the couch to 5k.

At any rate, just two months after starting the program, I completed my first ever 5k and came in at 28:30!!! Not to shabby for a nearly 50 year old woman
emteeth.gif
Now I run 3 miles ever time out (4-5 times per week).

Best wishes!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 5:54:20 PM
Author: luckystar112
I did the 2nd run last night (still doing 60 seconds running/90 seconds walking).
The first time I ran was weird/awful. It was mid-morning and very hot outside (I''m in TX). The garbage guys were in the neighborhood picking up trash and I passed them like 7 times. lol.
And the next day I was SO SORE. I could barely move. Muscles I didn''t even know I had were hurting.

Last night I did my second run, this time with DH. We waited until after the sun went down. It was great because we pushed each other to finish. And I''m not sore today!!!
36.gif
Sounds great! I am doing a similar program and just finished my first week. How fast are you jogging?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats for getting out there and trying something new!

Any updates?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I started walking/running on a treadmill every night just over two weeks ago but I didn''t feel like I was progressing.

Tonight I started the Couch to 5K program and I''m really excited. I wish it was more than 3 days a week. I''m really nervous for when I have to run longer than three minutes at a time! I haven''t exercised regularly since college so this is really tough. Cardio and I are generally not the best of friends.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh this sounds like just the thing I need.

I gave birth 4 months ago and I hate my weight that I still have hanging on.

I have never ran...I would do my hardest to avoid it when I was in high school.

I''ve been walking for a few days now...but would love to be able to run a mile or more without stopping.

I think I''m going to join the program.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I did it. I used to run track and cross country in high school which was 15 years ago. I was working out last year getting off the rest of the baby weight I had gained and decided I needed to do something different, something to test myself. I decided to start running again. I followed the program exactly for the first six weeks and then just started running. That was in July of last year and ran my first 5K in November and actually got 4th place in my age group. I was pretty proud of myself. I find running as more of testing myself to see how far I can go because it is hard. Nothing feels better than accomplishing a good hard workout. Keep with it, you will be surprised what you can do.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not doing running but am doing a couch to regular walking 5K. My goal is to walk 10-15 miles per week rather than run since running it's so bad on the knees. It takes me 17 minutes per mile which I heard is a good pace. (ETA - I'm shortish 5' 4" so maybe my stride isn't as big? lol)

It's hard to get motivated, but once I get outside, it's easy to keep moving.
2.gif

Hope you can keep this up!!! Your body will love you for it.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m starting this on Monday! I''m pretty excited!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had of seen this thread earlier!!! I am about 6 weeks into it (I had got sick in the middle so missed a week). 6 weeks ago, I just made 60 secs running, it was like pure torture, the latest run, I did 20 mins without stopping!! I am so proud. I was hopeless at running, never really did more than a few metres really, hated hated hated it. Now, it''s strange to see me type this, but once you get the rhythm, it''s really great!!

And to the exciting bit - tomorow morning I am doing my first ever 5km fun run!!! I am terrified and excited, all at the same time!! Wish me luck, I will pop back in when I get home to update you guys.

Seriously, anyone can do this program, it''s designed for couch potatoes - trust me!!!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck on your 5k Honey22! Keep us posted!

I ran my 2nd 5k today. The last one I ran in 28:30, so my goal this time was to run it in less than 28:00. I am 49 years old, and totally surpised myself today with the time of , get this!!!!..............

24:12
emteeth.gif
emteeth.gif
emteeth.gif
Not only did I set a personal best time, but I beat my husband by two minutes, and he is 11 years younger AND and active duty Soldier, lol!!!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Good luck honey! I love to run (only on a treadmill though - my motivation vanishes when I''m outside) but my knees don''t enjoy it as much as I do. I wish I could get back into it - come back and tell us about your run!

Bev

Shiny_Rock
I have done a couch to 5k program and loved it! I never really liked running, but there is definitely satisfaction in being able to run a certain amount of distance without stopping.

My personal suggestion is to take care of your knees!!! Runners knee is common as you increase your mileage. Also, if you can, invest in a good pair of running shoes, especially if you plan on tackling more than a 5k in the future. There are places that will observe your running stride, arch, etc. and match you up with a shoe that will be best for you. I had a pair of New Balances for a while, but I felt they were giving me problems when I started running outside a lot. I got fitted at a local running store and ended up with some Mizuno shoes. They have been awesome! I''ve had no problems with them so far!

Good luck!

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice!

I started the program officially yesterday and did pretty well....I did everything that was required...I want to up my running speed a bit...I was scared I wouldn''t be able to complete the 20 minutes if I went faster than I was going....

Can''t wait to do it again.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''m following the program as well. Today was my first time running week 2. It was a bit of a struggle, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I was running after an hour of lifting weights with my trainer.
3.gif
Saturday I''ll try it again without the weights first and see how it goes.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
i did it last year! i''m a big cardio person and am a regular gym goer but for some reason running and me didn''t mix. i wanted a new challenge so i started it. i felt it was kinda slow in the beginning and actually wanted to push harder but i''m glad i followed the rules. i couldn''t believe it when i could run 30 minutes without stopping!! and...the best part...i liked it! i did my first 5k last year which was a blast. good luck and enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results