shape
carat
color
clarity

Cot bumpers and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I guess I am more wondering out aloud, but I struggle to understand how baby shops reconcile the demand for goods versus their safety. This is all not coming out right, but I will get to the point eventually
40.gif

How accountable should baby product manufacturers be held? Like cot bumpers for example, in Australia the guidelines are to never put a young babies in a cot with bumpers or pillows. Yet every nursery pic you see has a matching cot bumper and pillows and they sell these things to new parents, many of which probably don''t realise how dangerous these products are to a young infant.

So why do they do it? I realise it''s all about money, but wouldn''t our governments just ban these products for the safety of bubbies in general?

My best friend and I were recently talking about this subject, and she was telling us that at one popular baby shop here, the shop assistants are actively trying to talk parents out of buying them, albeit without the support of the company in general, as they care about the bottom line more, yet some parents are still buying them as it makes the cots look nicer?

As a woman who is planning on falling pregnant in the next few years, I really worry about what else is out there that I am not aware of? What stuff are they trying to sell us knowing that we shouldn''t be using them? How do you navigate through what seems like a mine field of information and products? It just makes be nervous!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately there are a lot of things on the market still that aren't really safe for various stages of childhood. But the thing to remember is that just because it isn't safe for a child of one age doesn't mean it's unsafe for all.

Bumpers are a good example of that. They can be used safely with children who are older if you'd like. Are they a necessity? No. Do they tell you they are unsafe for small babies? Not usually. But they aren't "unsafe enough" for them to pull them off the shelves.

Another example is blankets. Blankets are unsafe for babies. Does that mean they should be banned? No, of course not because they can be used for older children safely. You just have to be a smart consumer and mom and know what risks you are willing to take and what ones you are not.

I think as long as you aren't living under a rock and do a bit of research you can find out what the latest list of "unsafe" child items are. Unfortunately it tends to change every time you look at it!

But don't worry, you and your future babies will be totally fine with just a few precautions! The information is usually out there for easy consumption. Mommas are a fierce bunch and they want nothing more than to protect their children. So much so that often they sound the alarm loud and clear for things that are even marginally unsafe. You'll hear about it, don't worry dear!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I totally see your point NF. I am glad to see someone elses perspective, especially a Mum. I feel reasonably sure that I won't be doing anything obviously stupid and I would never put a newborn in a cot with a bumper, but if other parents are silly enough to do it and not realise it, then I wonder are there other things that I wouldn't think about?

A blanket has a use, to keep a child warm. A cot bumper has no use besides making the cot look pretty. I don't understand why they sell them? I would argue that the risk of suffocating a small baby is enough to not encourage/advertise them at least.

I am not trying to start an argument here, just really curious. It's a whole new world that I have only started to think about.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto NF in that you will hear about it.

It does seem to change as time goes on. I know parents who have had regular bumpers in their kid''s cribs and don''t ever remove them. Same with stuffed animals, blankets, etc. Some people don''t like sleep positioners for safety issues, but other parents swear by them. Also sometimes it has to do with ''usage'' as to how it''s recommended.

When you are PG, you''ll hear people''s advice on breastfeeding, what to dress your child in, what to feed them...whether or not you like it. hehe.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 2:17:39 AM
Author: honey22
I totally see your point NF. I am glad to see someone elses perspective, especially a Mum. I feel reasonably sure that I won''t be doing anything obviously stupid and I would never put a newborn in a cot with a bumper, but if other parents are silly enough to do it and not realise it, then I wonder are there other things that I wouldn''t think about?

A blanket has a use, to keep a child warm. A cot bumper has no use besides making the cot look pretty. I don''t understand why they sell them? I would argue that the risk of suffocating a small baby is enough to not encourage/advertise them at least.

I am not trying to start an argument here, just really curious. It''s a whole new world that I have only started to think about.

No worries honey, you are not going to start an argument.

Bumpers actually DO serve a purpose though-kids can get their hands and feet stuck in the crib slats and it wakes them up and causes them to freak out.

That being said there are safer bumpers made of mesh that provide the protection against little feet slipping out without the safety risks of the thick ones. That''s what we have.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
My understanding of bumpers is that they are a risk of SIDS but not a definitive cause. Meaning just because you have bumpers, that does not mean your baby will fall victim to SIDs but studies have shown that the risk increases with bumpers. It''s also a risk of suffocation but that goes down once the baby can turn his/her head effectively.

We use bumpers. DD has had her arms and legs stuck in the opening of the crib and banged her head pretty hard. We used the mesh style and she managed to still hit her head and get her arms/legs above it and stuck. She sleeps with her rear pressed against it all night.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just do plenty of research and apply common sense to it all.

To echo Mara though, you''ll get conflicting advice everywhere. For example, in the UK we are told to use blankets and I''ve never heard the danger of bumpers being discussed (although I had read about it here).

Ultimately you make your own mind up about what you do and you run the gauntlet of comments good and bad that you will get.

We co-sleep with Daisy (poor kid doesn''t even have a crib let alone a cot-bumper
9.gif
) and I''m endlessly told that I''m spoiling her, that she won''t move out till she''s 10, that I will roll over and smother her etc etc I did a HUGE amount of research on co-sleeping before we did it 100% and I''m confident that safe co-sleeping is just as safe if not more so than crib sleeping where SIDS is concerned. Plenty of people will think I''m nuts though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results