shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newtodiamonds

Rough_Rock
My fiance recently bought me a 1.10 total carat diamond platinum ring from Costco which consists of 3 princess cut diamonds (the center diamond being 1/2 a carat and the two on the side of it 1/4 each.) It also has about 14 little round diamonds on the sides of it totalling the 0.10 to equal a total carat of 1.10. It was about $2,000. I took it to a jeweler to be sized and the jeweler tested it with one of those diamond tester gadgets and the diamonds tested as moissanite. She then tested her own ring and it showed up as diamond. She basically told me that this diamond ring that was just purchased from Costco is really moissanite which really put me in quite a shock. I then went to another jeweler, and when he tested the diamonds, it first said moissanite, but then came up as diamonds on the tester, which really left me utterly confused and wondering if my ring really is a diamond ring, or a moissanite ring. I have a hard time believing that Costco would sell a moissante ring, while saying it was diamonds. Can it be that something was wrong with the one jeweler''s tester? and if yes, why would her ring show up as diamond, but then say moissanite on mine?

Also, the jeweler that told me that my ring was in fact a diamond ring, and blamed the moissanite reading on the other jeweler''s tester as having a bad tester, proceeded to tell me that he could create this same exact ring for me in platinum and the same diamond carat weight for $1,500 instead of the $2,000 that my fiance paid. I have a hard time believing this considering that we shopped around quite a bit before he bought the Costco ring for me and we could not find a similar ring with the same carat weight in WHITE GOLD (and not platinum, like the ring I have now) for less than $2,000. Something seems fishy to me that this jeweler would sell me a ring in platinum for much less than we could find in white gold, and about $500 less than my fiance purchased in platinum!! It seemed to me that this jeweler was a little full of it. Any input???

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try not to panic, there are a lot of experts on this forum and professionals who can advise you here, I am sure you will be overwhelmed with great advice from them. I know I would be more than a bit concerned too. You have come to the right place , I don''t know anything about Costco personally as I am in the UK , but I am sure that they are a big name and wouldn''t be risking selling moissanite as diamonds. There is probably a simple mistake somewhere and it will all be sorted out soon.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
I am not an expert, just a consumer! However, if you want to be sure about what your ring really is, I would take it to a totally independent appraiser. One that does not sell diamonds, but appraises them.
2.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Telling the difference between diamond and moissionite isn't all that difficult. those little pokers aren't necessary or even particularly useful. They are quite different in appearance if you know what you're looking at. Take it to a real appraiser or at least someone who claims to be a gemologist. Find someone who will write down their results and sign it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Blrdd your heart I cannot imagine how stressful that must have been to here. Without having every seen your irng this is my first instinct. CostCo is large company worth millions and millions of[$$)]. If they get caught selling something that isnt real their cred goes down the tubes. Plus with todays sue happy society you could easily sue and win for all sorts things including emional distress. I dont think it would be a logical risk for the corperation to take. I would take Denver''s adivce just to soothe your mind and I would think twice about shopping from a jewler who tries to scare you and take advantage of your panic.

rickyrockranger

Rough_Rock
Costco is a multi BILLION dollar corporation. You have a better chance of being swindled by an online vendor WAY before Costco.

Not a chance that your diamond ring is not a diamond.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2005 9:48:51 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Telling the difference between diamond and moissionite isn''t all that difficult. those little pokers aren''t necessary or even particularly useful. They are quite different in appearance if you know what you''re looking at. Take it to a real appraiser or at least someone who claims to be a gemologist. Find someone who will write down their results and sign it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

I totally agree with Neil.

It appears to me that someone who provides results, "flavored" with the opinion that he could sell it cheaper to you, just demonstrates, that he is serving his own interest.

Testers as Neil says, really aren''t necessary for a competent gemologist to separate diamond from Moissanite or other simulant.

As far as getting the "best deal" .... this many times is an exercise that is really meaningless, particularly when the price you paid is in a reasonable range of what comparable items sell for.

Personally, I believe it is far more important to get information that you got the quality you really want. I think you should seek out this information from a qualified expert, so you have all the relevant facts.

Rockdoc

newtodiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input. This all happened yesterday, so when I came home I immediately jumped on my computer in search of information on moissanite and diamonds, etc. and stumbled upon this great website!!!

I agree that it seems doubtful that Costco would sell moissanite considering what kind of company they are. The other thing is, I know a few people mentioned getting an appraisal by a gemologist, etc. and my ring did in fact come with a Costco-generated appraisal written by a graduate gemologist, so I have to believe that that means something as well no?

I did call Costco and told them what happened and they said I can bring it down to their store and they will test it in front of me with one of those testers also. Is it possible that some testers are just better than others, and the one jeweler''s might have been old? The other thing I am wondering, I read on one website that dirt or grease on the ring can bring up a false reading, and while I haven''t had the ring long, in showing it to various friends and family, it has been touched with their hands, which made me think maybe that was part of the reason? The other jeweler who tested it and said it was in fact diamonds actually pulled out a cloth and cleaned it and then tested it, which made me kind of believe in this theory?

One last question, I promise! In taking it to a few jewelers yesterday to check into sizing the ring - one told me that it doesn''t need rhodium plating after sizing it, and two others said that it needs to be plated with rhodium after sizing it which would be an additional fee. Does a platinum ring really need to have rhodium plating after sizing it? I thought platinum does not NEED to be plated with rhodium, and that it is white gold that generally does.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2005 3:26:22 PM
Author: newtodiamonds
I agree that it seems doubtful that Costco would sell moissanite considering what kind of company they are. The other thing is, I know a few people mentioned getting an appraisal by a gemologist, etc. and my ring did in fact come with a Costco-generated appraisal written by a graduate gemologist, so I have to believe that that means something as well no?

No.
2.gif
I''d get an independent appraisal if you really want to be sure.

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the following statement by RockDoc:

It appears to me that someone who provides results, "flavored" with the opinion that he could sell it cheaper to you, just demonstrates, that he is serving his own interest.

Indeed, any professional who is asked by a consumer to perform a verification should never offer an alternative item to the one being verified. Of course there can be a great deal of temptation to do this (especially if a jeweler honestly feels he''s being a help to the consumer). But in such a situation your ethics can be called into question, and no sale is worth that.

Aside from the ethics issue, moissanite is relatively easy to spot even without a moissanite tester. And by the way, the moissanite tester is only as good as the person using it. As Neil mentioned, all it takes is to place the "poker" in the wrong spot. Also with some testers, if you''re not holding the tester with two fingers placed on the proper grids you''ll get a false reading.

An independent appraisal might be just the ticket in this case.
Bill Scherlag

TKC

Shiny_Rock
First question, have you ever got your ring cleaned in any jewelry store beside Costco or reputable jewelry stores? If you have never, it is good because it is still the diamond that your fiance purchased from Costco. If you want to get your ring cleaned or sized, you''d better go Costco (if they offer the service) or reputable jewelry stores. I think to resize a platinum ring, it is not necessary to rhodium plate the ring. Usually, it only requires polishing. Only white gold jewelry and or silver jewelry need to be rhodium plated. When the guy from the jewelry store said that he could give you cheaper price, first you must know that diamonds have different quality. Even, the proportion of the cut itself can make the price nearly half different. Therefore, go to a reputable jewelry store to get your ring resized.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I highly doubt that Costco would try to pull something like that off. They are too big and like it''s been said, their credibility would be on the line.

That said, they do have a great return policy. If after you have it checked out by an appraiser and are not completely happy, simply return it. You should feel good about a purchase such as this.

dandoboy

Rough_Rock
Although not a comment about diamonds from Costco, I have another story you may find interesting:

My girlfriend got a Gucci watch (from Costco) from her parents for Graduation a few years back. After about 3 years of having the watch, the pin holding the strap broke, so she had to take it in to get fixed. We brought it to an authorized Gucci dealer, and after about 2 weeks, we got a call back. The watch was sent out to Gucci for repairs, but they sent it back claiming that it was COUNTERFEIT.

Surely, we took the watch back to Costco with the letter from Gucci, and without a doubt, they gave us a full refund. Please be careful buying jewelry from Costco though...although surely not their intention, they will from time to time carry counterfeit and/or knock-off merchandise. If you decide to purchase from them, get it exaluated by an authorized or professional retailer right away.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2005 1:13:18 PM
Author: dandoboy
Although not a comment about diamonds from Costco, I have another story you may find interesting:

My girlfriend got a Gucci watch (from Costco) from her parents for Graduation a few years back. After about 3 years of having the watch, the pin holding the strap broke, so she had to take it in to get fixed. We brought it to an authorized Gucci dealer, and after about 2 weeks, we got a call back. The watch was sent out to Gucci for repairs, but they sent it back claiming that it was COUNTERFEIT.

Surely, we took the watch back to Costco with the letter from Gucci, and without a doubt, they gave us a full refund. Please be careful buying jewelry from Costco though...although surely not their intention, they will from time to time carry counterfeit and/or knock-off merchandise. If you decide to purchase from them, get it exaluated by an authorized or professional retailer right away.
Hmmm, good to know. Thanks for the heads up. In this case, with the receipt and the letter from Gucci, I''m even more impressed with their return policy and that they stood by the customer despite the long period of time that passed.
36.gif

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Good advise from all, when the day is done costco will take it back, no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results