shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost to set stone in LOGR setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hiya!
35.gif

Quick question: Does $250 sound reasonable to set a BB cushion into a cushion halo LOGR setting? The stone is the right size for the halo, but the jeweler did mention challenges associated with the rounded corners of the cushion setting and the slightly pointed corners of the BB stone.

I have no clue if the price is decent, or if I should shop around for another jeweler. I would love your insight!
1.gif

Many thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way to expensive. Even $100 is too much. I suggest shopping around; it should cost you closer to $50 or so.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I swear, I think jewelers are trying to rob people on benchwork because they can''t sell their inventory. That price is ridiculous. $50 is more reasonable.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$250 is plain absurd...

I pay around £20 - £35 here in London. Please go look for another jeweler and save yourself some money!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve paid $25 at my local jewelers to simply have a stone prong set in an LOGR setting, and I''ve paid an exorbitant $275 to have Quest bezel set a cushion into an LOGR 8mm legacy setting. Quest is known for being very particular about their custom work, and like kathleenmv, my stone wasn''t a perfect fit. They also shaved the bezel to make it thinner, and added milgrain to match the existing milgrain on the ring, and drilled out part of the bottom to make room for the culet. When Quest first gave me the quote, I walked away, because I couldn''t stomach paying so much (heck, that''s nearly enough for another setting!), but in the end, I didn''t trust my local jeweler enough to do the job. If I''d taken it to my local jeweler (with whom I''m an established customer), it would have cost less than $100.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2010 10:21:43 AM
Author: cellentani
I''ve paid $25 at my local jewelers to simply have a stone prong set in an LOGR setting, and I''ve paid an exorbitant $275 to have Quest bezel set a cushion into an LOGR 8mm legacy setting. Quest is known for being very particular about their custom work, and like kathleenmv, my stone wasn''t a perfect fit. They also shaved the bezel to make it thinner, and added milgrain to match the existing milgrain on the ring, and drilled out part of the bottom to make room for the culet. When Quest first gave me the quote, I walked away, because I couldn''t stomach paying so much (heck, that''s nearly enough for another setting!), but in the end, I didn''t trust my local jeweler enough to do the job. If I''d taken it to my local jeweler (with whom I''m an established customer), it would have cost less than $100.
I should have clarified actually. For an easy fit for a stone that is calibrated perfectly to a mount, and no other work is necessary, it should probably cost around $50. I actually pay $35 for that. For rhodium plating, millgrain, bezeling, and any other time consuming and labor intensive process, it would be more expensive. I am currently paying my jeweler $125 to set a stone because the setting needs a v-prong, and rhodium plating.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I paid 35$ at one place and 100$ at another.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My B&M jeweler charges $15 to set my more or less calibrated gems into simple prong settings...and that''s actually what several other local jewelers charge too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it also depends where you live. In a large metropolitan area where I live, for a good benchperson, it''s typically more expensive (at least $50).

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 2 BB square cushions in LOGR Legacies and my local jeweler and I have agreed to $60 with those attempted-Leon claw prongs, $50 with just the normal tipped prongs. My jeweler also rhodium plates each setting I bring in, and polishes ut the basket a bit better.

Good luck finding a good bench person - where do you live? Someone here might have some suggestions for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct; it sounds like your Legacy setting needed more work. It is bezel set, had milgrain added, thinned the bezel and drilled out some metal. For that work, obviously it is going to cost more than a basic prong setting job.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That said, a good friend of mine had her 8+mm OEC bezel set and milgrained for about $100 in NYC. If there is a concentration of skilled benchworkers in one area (like jewelers row), that can help keep the costs more competitive. And let me say, this was not a slipshod job, but expertly done in platinum with perfectly matching milgrain.

Alj OEC ring.jpg

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the responses!!! So very helpful--and illuminating!
1.gif

Sounds like $250 is on the high side. The stones would be prong-set and (in theory, anyway) should be a reasonably good fit since I had LOGR make the mountings to the stones'' dimensions. Think I''ll shop around and see what I come up with.

I so appreciate the feedback and assistance. And that OEC ring is drop-dead gorgeous!!!
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous Cellentani.

I''m in Nor Cal (but suburbs) and pay about 50 for a setting that is sized to fit the stone well.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Cellantani I love your friend''s ring!!!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 8:42:11 AM
Author:kathleenmv

Does $250 sound reasonable to set a BB cushion into a cushion halo LOGR setting? The stone is the right size for the halo, but the jeweler did mention challenges associated with the rounded corners of the cushion setting and the slightly pointed corners of the BB stone.
Kathy,

What are the challenges that the jeweler mentioned? I know from my experience that if someone is willing to work on a piece that A. They did not make, B. that has "challenges" that go beyond what are encountered when normally setting a stone, the price will be a bit on the "high" side.

I do not think it is too much to pay $250 to set a stone by a skilled craftsperson- we have to keep in mind that they are the experts, just like other skilled tradespeople. Often times we have no idea what actually goes into the setting of a stone (modifying prongs, bezels, proper handling of your stone, etc). I myself have never set a stone in a mounting and (if I trust the person I am leaving my pieces with) generally leave the assements to the experts.

If you choose to shop based on price, beware of the quality that may come with that price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results