shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of custom-designed ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I think this question may need to be answered on a case-by-case basis, but what type of price increase applies to a custom-designed ring? I know it depends on the vendor and style of ring, but overall, what type of markup is involved?

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Depending on detail of work and time I would say 50% markup on materials and a per hour cost for labor.

Michael

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My quote for my asscher ring by Quest is $2875, and will take 3 weeks. They guarantee that price and will use E-F VS stones, HTH.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey VG,
the practical method is to ask for a complete price- as Kaleigh did.
The cost of materials is....well, not exactly material on most custom made rings.
The best custom made rings would be quite difficult to break down to a labor/materials ratio.

As you mentioned, it is a case by case question.....
The more intracate the ring, the greater the difference will be.
As an example:
I''d say you can buy a platinum "lucida" style casting for a 1 carat diamond for about $800.
A custom made ring like that, done right, can cost between $1500-$2000.
In this example, if the casting fits the stone, and you use top notch setters and polishers- the non custom made ring can come quite close in quality to the custom made version.
If the diamond does not quite fit, and the setter bends things to fit the stone, you might look at a poor looking finished ring.

In the case of intracate pave type settings, you might actually see a smaller difference between a fully custom made and a peice made from a casting, once you set all them little stones...... and in such a case, the well made custom version can be quite a lot nicer.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hi..

I just put in an order today for a custom Halo setting with WF. I am paying $2500 and that is for White Gold.

Marlene

Rough_Rock
Are there any custom designers in Australia?

M

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen the work of PlatinumSmith posted here on PS, and everything he's done looks lovely. He has completed numerous projects for a few PS regulars here and is located in Australia. You can look up his email and contact him by looking him up under the name of PlatinumSmith AKA Phillip. You can check out his website at http://www.platinumsmith.com.au/

Chinchy

Rough_Rock
Even if you''re not in Australia you can still use PlatinumSmith. Hehe.

And his stuff looks top notch!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results