shape
carat
color
clarity

Copyright on Engagement ring settings??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Breezee

Rough_Rock
I''m new here and find this website to be an incredibly educational resource. Thanks to all who contribute. In looking for a diamond and engagement ring setting, I''m finding this process to be quite expansive and expensive. While I knew the diamond would take a nice bite out of my pocket, I had no idea that certain settings were just as expensive. I''ve seen that several places make custom jewelry and from what I''m seeing, it is a pretty common thing to get an engagement ring custom made. My question is: Is there anything related to copyright issues when it comes to custom designing a ring? To put it in other words, if I see a ring I like made by a certain designer, but can''t afford the "designer price," will custom jewelry makers have a problem replicating the ring for me? Is there a rule against doing that? Thanks in advance for your input.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo, great question, definitely post this over in RockyTalky, I think you will get many more responses there!

From my understanding, though, yes. Designers certainly have copyrights on their designs, I think, it''s like wanting a Louis Vuitton handbag and not being able to have it made to the same order, ya know? I.E., let''s say you find a Tiffany ring your really love...you could bring a pic of it to an independent jeweler but they will not make it to exact specs due to that copyright, but it will be a "replica" after the Tiffany style. Sorry, that''s a horrible analogy as fake bags are completely different from jewelry designs but it''s all I could think of. Like I said, post this in RT and you will probably get a ton of help there.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results