shape
carat
color
clarity

Contacts Question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I got my first contacts yesterday and I am a bit frustrated today. Okay, so do you have to put them in perfectly every time? Because I noticed if they''re a bit crooked or something they move into place, but is that wrong? It felt awkward in my left eye. Also, any tips on getting them in? Finally, one of the lenses has a little dip along the edge, is that normal? It''s the left one. I have acuvue ones. Don''t really feel like calling the eye doctor, so I thought I would ask y''all first. Back to glasses right now.
39.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Once you have them in the general area, they will position themselves usually. If it hurts, it''s not right.

A dip? Is it like a notch? or a tear? I tried Accuvue lenses and hated them because they were so flimsy. I kept tearing them. If you don''t like them, ask for another brand. I know several people who can''t wear them because they are so flimsy, but that''s what they usually give you first because they are cheap. Call your doctor! Contacts are an adjustment and it takes some time to get everything right.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well Sarah I haven''t worn my contacts for almost a year now except for special occasions, but I had them for over 13 years. First of all, how long did your doc tell you to start out wearing them? It takes eyes a while to adjust to them, and wearing them for several hours at a time when you haven''t worn them before is probably not such a great idea.

I never put mine in perfectly. I usually stick it in where ever and then blink a couple of times to get it to move in to place. They are supposed to be able to move around a bit.
As for tips, I''d say to look up and put it in on the white part of your eye below the iris where it won''t hurt if you accidentally touch your eye with your finger.
I''m guessing that the little dip is probably a manufacturing defect or something that just happened. They are pretty dang fragile little guys. Once I rubbed my eye vigorously and ripped my contact in two-still connected-but still very ripped.
I just got new ones, but I don''t wear them very often-mostly because I''m a lazy bum. lol.

Are they soft lenses?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Aw lol! I've got the Acuvue oasis. Is that what you have? It takes a little getting used to at first. I even put mine in and pop em out without a mirror. lol! There is no perfect way to put them in. Just open your eye and pop them in. They naturally go into place.

As far as tips getting them in, here is what I do
place the contact on the tip of your index finger or middle finger. Put your hand up by your face and GENTLY pull your lower lid down just a bit with your ring fingertip. Then insert the little bugger in and blink to make sure it goes into place.

Im not quite sure what you mean by there being a dip by the edge. Im sure its fine though. Sometimes after the lenses get old, they start to mis-shape but thats normal. Make sure to store them in the case with enough lense cleaner.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm well mine just move into place no matter how I put them in. If they are uncomfortable after you put them in, they could be inside out. If the rim points out slightly instead of up, the lense is probably inside-out. make sure you are putting the right lense in the correct eye. They are usually different colors, have a line or some other way of telling you which eye they go in. Sometimes fuzz or other particles attach to it & makes them uncomfortable. take it out, clean & re apply if you think this may be the cause.

If you feel like you arent putting them in right go back to the optometrist & they will make sure you are putting them in right. You shouldnt need an oppointment.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have Acuvue but I know my lenses have a little line at the bottom which my doctor told me actually weighs the lenses down at that point to make sure it positions correctly. Does Acuvue have that? I would think something similar. Also - I would like to tell you that misshapened lenses are not normal & should be thrown out/replaced ASAP. Your lenses conform to the shape of your eyes & if it is misshapened you can actually hurt your eyesight more because your eye will be straining to focus the light from the distorted lens. I''m not sure what you mean by "dip" - do you mean a beveled edge? If so, that is normal because it helps the lens stick to your eye...

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
Everyone has given great tips. My optometrist told me to close my eye and *gently* pat the eyelid, in order to smooth out any possible air bubbles. If my contact feels funny, it''s almost always because there is a piece of fuzz, dust or an eyelash (ouch!!) on it. Hang in there. It does take a while to get used to wearing them.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
A dip in the edge... it kind of sounds like you might have a tear, which could definately be the cause of it feeling uncomfortable. Try taking it out and just giving it a quick rinse to make sure there are no fuzzies or anything, and see if that helps at all.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
You don''t have to put them in perfectly centered - they will move to the right spot. One thing that helps is rolling your eye all around, like going cross-eyed and then back to normal. Another thing that helps put them in correctly is if you roll your finger from side to side as you put them in - it helps prevent the contact from sticking to your finger.

I''ve worn Acuvue for more years that I can remember at this point, and I love them. My doctor tried to switch me over to the 30 day lenses, and they hurt my eyes constantly. I switched back to my Acuvue 2, and unless I get lasik or something, I don''t ever plan to change again.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for replying! Okay so it looks like they don''t have to go in perfect like everyone said. I am going to check this dip out again and make sure it isn''t a rip. I might drop by the eye doctor tomorrow and have them look. I only have the one set since I want to try them out before ordering a year''s worth. But I am not sure what kind of acuvue they are..I know they are the soft ones. And Freke to answer your question they said to wear them for like 4 hours the first day (yesterday) then like 6 today..but obviously I am not even doing six today. Haven''t worn them at all yet due to the problem I had earlier.
4.gif
So hmm..
40.gif
looks like I am behind already. But I am going to try them again in a bit and I will update if I have any issues. I will look at the knotch again also and see if it''s a rip!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Well I checked and the left one is definitely ripped.
14.gif
14.gif
20.gif
So Sum I may be in the same boat as you. I will call and go in tomorrow and try a different brand or something, these aren''t working. No wonder it hurt..
39.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 3:06:38 PM
Author: sumbride
Once you have them in the general area, they will position themselves usually. If it hurts, it''s not right.

A dip? Is it like a notch? or a tear? I tried Accuvue lenses and hated them because they were so flimsy. I kept tearing them. If you don''t like them, ask for another brand. I know several people who can''t wear them because they are so flimsy, but that''s what they usually give you first because they are cheap. Call your doctor! Contacts are an adjustment and it takes some time to get everything right.

Thats a rip and acuvue oasis DOES IT ALL THE TIME
29.gif
, I am changing brands as soon as I finish this pack. The amount of times it rips on the first go is insane and they are not cheap here either :K.

One thing about your contacts there is a right way to put them in and a wrong way when you position it on your finger the sides should go up into a cup shape not flare outwards slightly.

Also something I find is really handy is when I have the contact on my finger I fill it with the contact solution it keeps my eye much more moist and it much more comfortable when popping it in as it allows it to slide a little into the right place :).

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
That stinks! Hopefully they can give you another pair ASAP! I use Toric Preference, but mine last up to three months so they are probably more durable. You''ll get used to them quickly but NOT if one is ripped!
32.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Can you get disposables? I started wearing Acuvue Advanced (torics b/c of astigmatism) and they have been the best I have used so far. I have been wearing lenses since I was 15 (26 now)...in other words, a long time. Contacts are so delicate and if they are bent, or ripped they will irritate and even infect your eyes very easily. Make sure you rinse them before they go in the case and rinse your hands and your lenses before they go back in your eyes. It always good to check each lense to make sure there are no little specs of anything before you put them on.

See if you can go with Acuvue or something similar.

Hehe...I remember my first pair of lenses cost like $400 and I only had one pair. Jumped in a pool with them on, and when I came up for air, I was blind (eyesight is quite poor). My friend and I were so stupid, looking in the water like we were going to find them! Started crying because I thought I was going to have to wear glasses the rest of my vacation (we were out of the country). Lo and behold, as my eyes got more and more wet, my contacts started making their way back, from behind my eyeballs!!!

6.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I got a new contact! Haha. So I am going to try it out. Thanks again everyone!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hey SDL! :) I have more questions.
6.gif
So I feel like my eyes are really dry after I put the contacts in and it leads to me ultimately feeling like they''re blurryish. Is this normal? Would eyedrops fix it? What kind do you use?

julabean

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 6:39:41 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
6.gif
So I feel like my eyes are really dry after I put the contacts in and it leads to me ultimately feeling like they''re blurryish. Is this normal? Would eyedrops fix it? What kind do you use?

Hey Sarah - Your eyes are probably just getting used to the contacts and that''s why they feel really dry. You can buy eye drops for contacts - should be in the same aisle as the contact solution and should be little enough you can carry it around in your purse. I will warn you, though, just because I see you haven''t had much luck with Acuvue - every other brand I''ve tried dried out my eyes considerably more than Acuvue Oaysis. They are flimsier, I agree, but I''ve never had a problem with mine breaking and I don''t have to use eye drops anymore because they don''t dry out my eyes. Everyone''s different, for sure, but if you''re worried about dry eyes, I''d ask your doctor for a brand recommendation that is better for sensitive eyes. I used to blink ALL the time and by the end of the day my eyes HURT because they were so dry.

Don''t worry, once you get used to your contacts, you''ll love them!
4.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 6:46:57 PM
Author: julabean

6.gif

Hey Sarah - Your eyes are probably just getting used to the contacts and that''s why they feel really dry. You can buy eye drops for contacts - should be in the same aisle as the contact solution and should be little enough you can carry it around in your purse. I will warn you, though, just because I see you haven''t had much luck with Acuvue - every other brand I''ve tried dried out my eyes considerably more than Acuvue Oaysis. They are flimsier, I agree, but I''ve never had a problem with mine breaking and I don''t have to use eye drops anymore because they don''t dry out my eyes. Everyone''s different, for sure, but if you''re worried about dry eyes, I''d ask your doctor for a brand recommendation that is better for sensitive eyes. I used to blink ALL the time and by the end of the day my eyes HURT because they were so dry.

Don''t worry, once you get used to your contacts, you''ll love them!
4.gif

Thank you!! :) I am going to go get some more contact solution (starting to run out) and eye drops as well.
4.gif
We''ll try it out!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Accuvue are thinner to be more comfortable and airy; less dryness that way. But, they will be less sturdy and easily ripped.

Contacts will move into place. I lower my bottom lid, look up and off to the side, put them in, close my eyes and let them do the positioning for me. Works like a charm.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I just found out that contact lenses come in different diameters! I''ve been wearing them since the fourth grade, and never knew this until this week when I got my new pair and noticed they were smaller. When I got them in my eyes, they were very uncomfortable. I could feel them every time I blink, which is not normal for me. Today I picked up my new pair, and they are large and comfy.

julabean

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 12:38:55 AM
Author: mrs jam
I just found out that contact lenses come in different diameters! I''ve been wearing them since the fourth grade, and never knew this until this week when I got my new pair and noticed they were smaller. When I got them in my eyes, they were very uncomfortable. I could feel them every time I blink, which is not normal for me. Today I picked up my new pair, and they are large and comfy.
I didn''t know that either, mrs. jam, until my last eye appointment. The same thing happened - they gave me a trial pair that were tiny compared to my acuvue oaysis contacts and they BURNED. As a general rule, eyes should not burn.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
The diameter thing is important. I had a pair once that were too small. They were fine in the morning, but by the evening, my eyes had swelled a bit and the lenses were constricting and making my eyes red. Who would have thought? That''s why it''s important to go back every year and make sure you''re still wearing the right prescription! Your vision AND the shape of your eyes can change! Keep up with it!

I''ve also had dry eye as a result of an allergy to the contact solution. I can''t use ReNu anymore, even though I used it for probably a decade. I had to switch to OptiFree. Try a different solution if your eyes stay dry.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 11:37:59 AM
Author: sumbride
The diameter thing is important. I had a pair once that were too small. They were fine in the morning, but by the evening, my eyes had swelled a bit and the lenses were constricting and making my eyes red. Who would have thought? That''s why it''s important to go back every year and make sure you''re still wearing the right prescription! Your vision AND the shape of your eyes can change! Keep up with it!

I''ve also had dry eye as a result of an allergy to the contact solution. I can''t use ReNu anymore, even though I used it for probably a decade. I had to switch to OptiFree. Try a different solution if your eyes stay dry.
My eye doctor told me that ReNu is the worst brand of solution you can use. He pulled out a chart from a magazine that ranked different solutions for use with different brand contacts and ReNu was the worst for all of them! I switched to OptiFree after that.

Sarah, keep in mind that not all brands of contacts work for everyone. They''re all made of slightly different materials and some will work with your eye chemistry while some will not. I wore the acuvue brand for years (the cheapest, the colored ones, eventually the oasys, etc) and one day I just couldn''t wear them anymore. I kept getting this cloudy effect after I would have them in for just 5 minutes. Eye drops would help for a minute or so, but then they''d get cloudy again. I had to try a few different brands before I found one that was comfortable AND didn''t do the cloudy thing. I use Optix O2 now.

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
6.gif

Blink for Contacts and also Blink N Clean are good ones to use. You can''t really over use re-wetting drops so use them any time your eyes feel dry
9.gif

And congrats on getting contacts! I had never worn them until I started working for an optometrist. I had a pretty difficult time getting them in and out at first, but now it only takes a few seconds. Hang in there, it does get easier and the comfort should get better as you wear them. Definitely follow the recommended wearing schedule at first though :) Not sure which lens you are in, but the Acuvue Oasys are one of the most comfortable lenses out there. I wear the Oasys and am now trying out the new Biofinity lenses by Cooper (for those that have issues with the Acuvue lenses being too flimsy these are a little thicker and I love the vision so far and comfort isn''t too bad either!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results