shape
carat
color
clarity

Consignment selling experiences in Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

troisib1

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if anyone on this site has any experiences selling jewelry on consignment, especially in the Philadelphia area. I am trying to sell an engagement ring and think consignment may be the best way to go for me right now. I would also appreciate any and all recommendations for local jewelers (jeweler''s row/center city/suburbs) willing to sell on consignment.

Thanks,
BT

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most consumers would not let their diamond ring out of their sight let alone leave it with a jeweler for a truly extended period of time. I like the concept of consigning an unwanted item in an attempt to maximize the money received when it sells, but you must realize that it may never sell, it may take too long, it is out of your control, you need to totally trust the place you left it, and if it sells how and when will you get paid?

If one goes over the risks and problems, one is generally left with "It won''t work for me.".... It may work for you, but this would not be commonplace. Some places that used to take consignments only did it to soften up the customer and then buy the piece months later for a small price that could have been obtained months earlier, but the client was less inclined to dump the piece months before.

There is no perfect way to do it. If the diamond is large or especially fine, then an auction gallery, such as Freeman''s might be a place to have it sold with a definite date and the possibility of reaching into retail pricing although mostly dealers buy at auction and commissions eat up your proceeds substantially.

Sell it outright and take your loss OR put it away safely for another day or another time......

That''s my honest advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results