shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering Changing Vendors - Need Advice

svpa

Rough_Rock
I need some PriceScoper advice please. I commissioned a very standard/common piece with a recommended PriceScope vendor. The communication has been lacking which I was willing to overlook but when I went to see the finished piece its craftsmanship was surprisingly unimpressive and even the untrained eye would see the crookedness of the stone-setting. Also the prong spacing wasn't like my sample images (again, this is a very standard/common piece, not anything specialized). They willingly offered to have the piece adjusted/replaced. The second time the piece was created, it was very beautiful but the vendor still did not account for the sample images I had provided that showed exactly what I was looking for in terms of prong-spacing.

The vendor also assured me that the piece wouldn't cause certain damage to some other of my jewelry pieces but I have heard otherwise from every other vendor I've spoken with and numerous PriceScope members strongly warn of the same concern. I feel mislead by the vendor. At this point, I'm seriously considering using another PS vendor for the piece.

My question is: I have a deposit down on the piece but have not paid the balance and do not have the piece in my possession. Is it fair to allow the original vendor to keep my deposit and just take my business elsewhere even though they've attempted to make the piece for me twice? I didn't received any written terms or contracts upon commissioning the piece.

I prefer not to share the vendor's name out of respect because they have been very kind and I have seen beautiful pieces from them on this site. At this point however, I just don't know if they are the right vendor for me and this particular project.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was this a stock item or specially made for you? Did you discuss the prong spacing requirements with the vendor before you ordered the ring?

svpa

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty sure it was stock but they were making a few adjustments to it. I did tell them what I wanted and show example pictures before the first ring was made and sent more examples again before they made the second ring. Also, they told me they would reach out to me before ordering a brand new second ring but they never did they just ordered it so I never had the chance to ask if they needed me to clarify myself in more detail or send more examples.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you have tried twice with the same vendor and its not worked you should maybe move on. I don't know what to advise regarding your deposit because you didn't get their terms and conditions. Have you checked their website to see what the T&C's are? Do you have an invoice from them for the setting?

svpa

Rough_Rock
I never received a formal invoice just a verbal quote which was confirmed in an email exchange. I am not looking to recoup my deposit, I'm willing to accept it as a loss. I just want to know if it would be "unethical" to move on to another vendor. I feel like it wouldn't be but I am questioning myself.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're not fighting for your deposit back, I see nothing unethical about moving on. The vendor was given a chance to rectify it per the discussed images and requirements, and if it's not how you want it even after the redo, it's not worth continuing to attempt. I have been there, and the frustration is worth losing the deposit now.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder if the prong spacing you wanted wouldn't have worked with the diamond you were having set. Or if it was a stock setting they may not have been able to change that element. Did they tell you they would space the prongs as you requested?

You said you had another issue. Do you worry that the diamonds in your setting will eat into the other ring you will be wearing? Are you sure the diamonds are set in such a way that they will damage they other ring? If your vendor says they won't then I would trust them.

svpa

Rough_Rock
Ame - Thanks for the advice/support. I am worried that this is going to keep being a back and forth process with the vendor and each step has taken about a month, I want to just move on and get it done.

Maisie - Thanks for all your replies! They said they would try to fix it and get back to me. But instead of getting back to me with an update they just ordered another ring and it still didn't accomplish what I was looking for. They also ignored my question about my increased concern over damage the ring could cause. I would love to trust them but almost everyone I've spoken too and every post I've seen on PriceScope says the exact style/type of ring I was ordering would cause that damage. After extensive research and looking at a million pictures I'm pretty sure I'd be in jeopardy of certain damage.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry you are going thru this svpa. I hope it works out well for you in the end. I had a similar experience, as in my B&M store did a custom job and even along the way, were not making the changes I asked for. Long (LONG!!!) story short - I ended that relationship with them and I have my diamonds back and my full refund. Sometimes things just aren't meant to be and for whatever reason, this particular ring with this particular vendor is not working out.

I am VERY happy that I walked away. I feel badly my ring didn't work out with them, but --- I feel great that I have a new ring being made and I've moved on! I think perhaps that may be what you need to do here. Its going to be totally your call - how many tries do you feel comfortable giving them? In my case, I just didn't have the confidence anymore in the original jeweller.

Best of luck....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It seems that they aren't going to make you happy so I would just walk away. They are clearly not listening to you or responding to your concerns. That would really annoy me. You will need to get your diamond back from them.....I hope that will be straightforward.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others. I think it's time to walk away. They clearly aren't listening to your concerns or are they interested in making sure their instructions are clear, so it's unlikely that the third time around things will be much different. And as you mentioned you now have concerns about the ring causing damage to your other ring, which will just cause more frustration and expense down the road. I'm actually surprised that you've had this experience with a PS vendor. I'm so sorry, that this has happened, but I hope that you decide to walk away and start again with another vendor.

svpa

Rough_Rock
Enerchi, Maisie and Christina, thank you for your advice. I think I am most likely going to work with another vendor. They've been very friendly whenever I speak to them but I'm honestly very disappointed with their level of follow up. I have always had to reach out for an update I have not once been provided with one without asking. I'm not nagging either, I go a few weeks waiting before I reach out. The project was supposed to be two weeks and it's now more than two months.

Maisie - The stones were going to come from them so luckily I don't have to try to get one of mine back!

Thank you all!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely hate having to chase a vendor for updates. I find that stressful. It shouldn't have taken two months for a straightforward ring. Are you sure you don't want to name the vendor? Pricescope is about sharing the good and the bad.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie makes a good point - you could prevent another PSer from going thru this... but don't feel pressured into revealing info you don't want to! :))

If you start over with someone new, be upfront about the situation you've experienced. I think you'll find the new vendor will be very sympathetic to your history and do their utmost to make it right for you, this time around. I'm thrilled beyond belief at the 180degree difference between my original B&M and my new PS vendor! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have changed your mind about the style of the ring as well as the prong issue. If it is a band with diamonds with exposed girdles, for example, ordering from somewhere else is going to leave you with the same problem. In that case, people get those kinds of rings and just wear a spacer band with it.

As far as abandoning the project goes, I would say that you need to talk with them and ask if you can return the item because the specified changes were not done to your requirements. Usually any modifications makes the item non-returnable. I don't think you can just make the choice of letting them keep the deposit and moving on. Do they have a return policy on their website? That would be what you'd need to look at. They may not enforce the normal return policy but you'll just have to ask.

svpa

Rough_Rock
Maisie and Enerchi, I definitely understand that it's helpful to share this kind of information with members but I haven't made a final decision yet so I prefer to withhold the name at least until then. Also, the vendor frequently gets rave reviews for service and quality so maybe I'm the exception or maybe I have different standards (in a picky way, not a cocky way). A large part of my career revolves around providing excellent customer service so I know I have high standards but the lack of follow up is just not how my company would ever operate. They've always been very friendly and so I also don't want to bash them. I think I was just looking for some approval that it was ok to move on.

diamondseeker2006 - Thank you for your reply. If I switch vendors I will definitely be choosing a different setting. I don't consider this a return. I consider it a forfeiture of my deposit in order to take my business elsewhere because I have not been satisfied with the work or customer service (nor the time frame!). I haven't paid the balance but I also never accepted the ring nor have I ever had it in my possession. A large part of my concern also comes down to the fact that I was sort of laughed at when I expressed my concern that the piece could cause damage and therefore went ahead and commissioned it. However, since then, I've read countless posts about how inevitable this damage is. That doesn't sit right with me at all. My other very important jewelry was at risk of being damaged because I thought I should trust a PriceScope vendor's opinion but found almost everyone disagrees.

Thanks again for all your help!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you decided what to do? Are you going to stay with the original vendor?

svpa

Rough_Rock
I'm still deciding between two vendors. One is a B&M recommendation from my friend and the other is another very reputable PriceScope vendor. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with a new vendor. I will definitely post once it's finalized!

Thank you!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am looking forward to seeing what you end up with. I can recommend Brian Gavin ..... assuming thats not the vendor you originally went with of course :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a +1 to that recommendation !!! (gee, Maisie... we are living parallel lives!!!)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1339691063|3216121 said:
I'm a +1 to that recommendation !!! (gee, Maisie... we are living parallel lives!!!)

hi501.gif

I'm working with them at the minute and its been very straightforward. Just how it should be. Nobody wants stress or hassle when they are buying something special.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1339692080|3216132 said:

hi501.gif

I'm working with them at the minute and its been very straightforward. Just how it should be. Nobody wants stress or hassle when they are buying something special.

You ARE unveiling your ring here, right? Can't wait to see! :appl:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1339693097|3216139 said:

hi501.gif

Unfortunately not because it has an unmentionable stone in it :))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1339693403|3216141 said:
TravelingGal|1339693097|3216139 said:

hi501.gif

Unfortunately not because it has an unmentionable stone in it :))

LOL, bummer!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I get mine back, I'll be THRILLED to post it!! Hoping for the glamour **** shots before I travel...but guaranteed - the new ring will definitely be making a debut on PS!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results