shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused...

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmkay.... so a little background on me: I was raised Muslim and then I became non-denominational Christian. So, the only weddings I've been to were huge 5 day wedding fiasco's. None of my current friends are married. I've never been to a traditional christian ceremony or any kind of reception.

I've got what I need to know for the wedding. However.... How does the reception work?! My venue has asked for a time table of how I would like the evening to flow... and I HAVE NO IDEA!

So here is what I have, and can someone tell me if any of this is out of 'traditional' order?

The ceremony and reception are in the same place, different floors. So... we are married (YAY!)... we run off with each other while the guests go upstairs.

The guests are upstairs and seated, or walking around socializing, or at the chocolate fountain...
Wedding party announced...
We are announced...
We have our first dance...
We welcome everyone formally... (I think I'm going to have FI do this? My father has passed, and we are doing the wedding ourselves..)
Dinner (Buffet)
Toasts...(Is this where the champagne toast goes? Should the toasts come before dinner?)
The traditional dances (father/daughter ect..)
Everyone dances...
Cake cutting...
Exit.

Is this okay? Is it close? Argh. I have no idea... I didn't realize how clueless I was until I had to try to put this thing together!

I also don't know where these go:
Garter toss
Bouquet toss

And lastly, does anyone think it would be odd to skip the father daughter dance? I am allowing my uncle to walk me down the aisle, but I'm just not comfortable giving that dance to anyone. It wouldn't feel right. :blackeye:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
First - skip anything you're not comfortable with! My mom is walking me down the aisle (my father too is no longer with us), but she refuses to dance. So we're just not doing it!

Otherwise, your timeline looks about right. Toasts are often interspersed with dinner. You probably don't want to push the cake cutting too late (but I've seen it everywhere from immediately after the bride and groom are announced to the end of the night). Garter and bouquet near the end.

But if you google "wedding reception timeline," you'll find a whole bunch of suggestions!

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
*hugs*

Thanks love!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big ditto to skip or add anything *you* and your loved ones want :))

Re. the actual ceremony - venues do often want timelines, but I would say get a decent MC and don't stress too much - he/she will be able to 'read' the crowd and wiggle if say your cake cutting was supposed to be at 8 but dinner started late...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, if there are things you don't want to do...don't do them! Ex- many of our friends opted out of the whole bouquet and garter toss tradition...

It's your day... think about what you and your fiance want included!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results