shape
carat
color
clarity

confused husband needs female perspective

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dadof3

Rough_Rock
I am searching for a new setting for my wife''s diamond ring. Her center diamond is beautiful but the setting is not. I would like to give the ring to her for our 12 year anniversary in April. I have been searching for a few weeks now, and I found a setting that I like, but would like any of the ladies here to give their opinion of this ring, since I want to surprise my wife. The ring can be found at www.solomonbrothers.com and is SKU 91439. I want this ring to be very special because she is always doing everything for me and the kids and never asks for anything for herself. Please give me your honest opinion. Right now I need all the help I can get!

Another question--if I order the setting online, who do I go to to get the ring mounted?

Thanks for any feedback! Dave

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it is beautiful!!! i love the engraving......very nice!

solomonengraved.jpg

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, Im a guy but let me but in for a minute.

First of all let me congratulate you on finally finding out how great woman are! Ive been married 25 years and just now get it! So, I know were your coming from.

Speaking to you as a guy , a jeweler and being married for 25 years.

Dont mess with the ring, yet. I made the mistake and Im still paying for it. The ring she has now is very personal and is the closest thing to her heart , besides you and the kids. It should be approached as a joint effort and have her pick it out if she so chooses.

Girls , am I wrong ?

Tell her what you want to do and tell her how you feel.

Just my 2 cents , good luck.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing. Nice choice on the ring.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful setting. However (just a little caution) I love, love the antique look so this setting is 100% my style. Does she like this type of jewelery? If so then go for it.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Most will not set somebody elses diamond. I hate to be a stuck in the mud. But most will not. You just cut their throats on a bread and butter item , but they are good enough to set it ?

Good question, thats what we are hear for. If your going to do this, have the person that is selling you the diamond or the ring set the stone.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Another good point alleycat :)

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a female perspective (or a males perspective) on buying jewelry, you have definitely come to the right place...!!!!!!! We would love to help you spend your money on jewely for your wife, believe me!!! But that said....personally, I probably would like to be in on it....that''s part of the fun....Unless, of course, she has expressed to you what she would really love to have, and you have found it......She sounds very special, and I''m sure she would appreciate anything you pick out.....but perhaps you could pick out a few things, and then show her your ideas and see what she says!? After all, she will be wearing it daily....need to suit her lifestyle as to how high/low it is set, how "dressy" it is, etc.....But that said, youv''e come to the right place for ideas!!!!
1.gif
1.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 5:40:52 PM
Author: Iceman

Dont mess with the ring, yet. I made the mistake and Im still paying for it. The ring she has now is very personal and is the closest thing to her heart , besides you and the kids. It should be approached as a joint effort and have her pick it out if she so chooses.

Girls , am I wrong ?
It might be a good point...but then again, I personally love the idea of being surprised. Does your wife like surprises? I think it can be a very personal decision.

If you think that maybe she would not want to be surprised, but would like to participate in picking a new setting, maybe you can make her a little gift of something (chocolates, a stuffed animal, whatever), and then tell her about the gift you really want to give her in a little card. I am sure she will love it no matter what you do. Good luck, have fun with it and keep us posted.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Name one

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Face it , if they walked past you for a better deal, what makes you think they will do any business with you in the future. The internet sale is were they are going to call again. They might stop back in to ask you to set another diamond they bought somewhere else. If they bought the diamond on the internet for let say $3,000 and the store that sets the diamond would have sold him the same diamond for $8000, do you think they will get any business except repair !

I wont do it. I also wont size tin from QVC.

I would also have a hard time not telling them they could have bought it here cheaper :)

Dave your in the business why dont you do it for him ?

Yes, I know some people that will do a hack job on it and do him a favor. But get a good place to do good work and it will be hard to find.

Nobody wants to set somebodys diamond. Dave do you disagree from experance or just disagree ? :)

The goldsmith I use also contracts with Tiffany's , I wouldnt let anybody touch it but him.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, name two :)

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Too bad your on the other side of the world :) You would make a killing here.

dadof3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your responses!

Rough Rock--It is a 1.1 carat round brilliant
Corey and Maxine--Good points--but if I ask her she would never agree to spend that much money on herself
Alleycat--She actually doesn''t have much jewelry of significance--just her engagement ring/wedding band and a pair of emerald earrings.
Cut Rock--yes, she loves surprises--she cried when her friends threw her a surprise birthday party last year.

So, since I''m new at this web shopping thing, do you have any suggestions on other places to find nice settings at a reasonable price?

Thanks again. Dave

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you want this to be a total surprise but you really should ask her first. That said, its GORGEOUS.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 6
6.gif
3:53 PM
Author: rms

Date: 2/10/2005 5:40:52 PM
Author: Iceman

Dont mess with the ring, yet.  I made the mistake and Im still paying for it.  The ring she has now is very personal and is the closest thing to her heart , besides you and the kids.  It should be approached as a joint effort and have her pick it out if she so chooses.

Girls , am I wrong ?
It might be a good point...but then again, I personally love the idea of being surprised. Does your wife like surprises? I think it can be a very personal decision.
I like surprises, but I also know what I like and what I don''t like. The surprise will last a couple of minutes, but the setting will last a lot longer. I think the setting you picked out is very nice, but it is not my style.

Does she usually like the jewelry you pick out for her? Do you think she will like this antique style? You know her the best -- if you think she''ll like it, go for it!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Iceman -- I think he is looking to have her EXISTING stone set into a new setting. Not a new, Internet purchased stone. Don''t know if that would make a difference to you...

dadof3 -- I think the surprise idea is very sweet. If i were you I would find out what the exchange/return policy is so that you can tell her she can switch it for whatever she wants if she wants to. That way, you get the surprise, and she can find the perfect style, if this isn''t it. (beautiful setting tho -- I think your odds are good that she will love it.) She still may be hesitant to switch since you picked it out, but at least she would have the choice.

If you can''t find anyone locally, ask soloman bros if you can have them do it after you present it to her.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought for you on the mounting front,...................

You love this setting. Print out copies of the pic and take them to local jewelers. This might possibly be a setting that someone local can order into their shop for you. Local jewelers will be much more willing to mount your current diamond for you if they are getting the sale on the ring.
2.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
There are lots of places on the web to look....but it gets overwhelming after awhile!!!!
The one you chose is beautiful , though.....Does she have a wedding band now that she will want to wear with it?????
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
As always a collection of ideas ~ thats the best way to help somebody. Remount a diamond from an exsisting ring might make the difference from feeling like a sap for doing it or a favor. Good point.

dadof3

Rough_Rock
Would I get a comparable price for settings in a retail store? I don''t want to buy any setting and then have problems having the diamond mounted! :)

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Here is one company that will show the ring in a 360 turn for you.

http://www.levycorp.com

I will keep a collection of favorites like this one on my website.

Good luck, go with your gut feeling.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
All I can say is shop around ? Keep in touch with us here on PS.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 6:47:15 PM
Author: pqcollectibles
Just a thought for you on the mounting front,...................

You love this setting. Print out copies of the pic and take them to local jewelers. This might possibly be a setting that someone local can order into their shop for you. Local jewelers will be much more willing to mount your current diamond for you if they are getting the sale on the ring.
2.gif
GREAT idea....the best of both worlds!!!!! You could order in the setting, and take her in to show her...then if she likes it, you could have it set...otherwise, she could choose something a little different....At least she would know you WANT to spend at least a certain amount.....and have it be really nice....she will be touched and flattered!!!!!
face23.gif

dadof3

Rough_Rock
Maxine--actually, her "wedding band" is actually the little wrap that had 3 small chip diamonds on each side. Now one of the sides has one less diamond chip (it fell out a year ago and our black lab probably ate it!) and she never had it replaced.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!! She''s really something.....she does deserve this treat!!!! Will you be fixing and keeping - and she wearing the wrap for sentimental reasons, or do you think she will wear only the new reing...or get a new band to go with it ??? That''s also something to consider......

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I think you would really have to expect to pay a premium to the shop that lets you have a ring set and return it if it doesn''t suit. There is a very good chance it would need to be remade or reworked after the prongs have been worked, unless the setter was extremely careful.

Iceman, any manufacturer should have no trouble setting your diamond or sending it out for you. I can''t think of any shop I have worked in (and manufactured for) who wouldn''t. A rule of thunb might be - if they take repairs they can do it. In the same way, you could choose a mount from their books and have them commission the setting and engraving together - maybe... depending...

I think it is a nice idea, and a nice surprise. Not an easy question though.

There really should be some facility in place for someone like you. A manufacturer could sell you a silver ring - not cheap with the craftsmanship, and you could try her for styles. The problem is that we don''t do that. We can''t because they would sell like hotcakes being bought up the competitors who want cheaply bought models for their ranges.

I have a few doubts about the idea of surprising her with a new E-ring. Too much depends on her not being sentimentally attached to her existing ring and in her sharing your tastes.

At least you could look at it on her finger and sigh, hmmm, I love that ring. "Let me look at it again love".

??

Phillip

Oh and that offer to send the mount and the diamond to Australia still stands. Now if only we can figure out how to convince customs that the insured value of, say, $10k is irrelevent...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results