shape
carat
color
clarity

Conflict free diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I just watched the movie "Blood Diamond" this weekend. I haven''t had time to look into how much of it (if any) was based on a true story, but it certainly seemed to be based on true events. Do any of you question whether your stones are conflict free before buying? I know my .75 carat flashy is by no means rare, but after watching that movie I feel like I should have at least ASKED what my jeweler''s policy was before buying!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Good question. That movie made me cry too. It's a great movie but really sad and disturbing at the same time. It really gives you good insight into all the ruthless workings of the diamond trade. All we see is the marketing blitz and the pretty diamond in the end... but do we know how it got there?

I've heard that some jewellers only trade in 'conflict free' diamonds, and will let you know via a label or tag. But I don't think many customers really go through the trouble to check... So who really knows the story behind them?
15.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

After seeing the movie, I looked into the details more and found that the majority of diamonds are conflict free and it''s very easy to find a vendor who makes sure the diamonds are, so I bought from a seller who stated their position in plain writing right up on their web page.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
JohnQuixote did a good review (with other interesting narrative) of this movie back when it was first released. Should be pretty easy to find with the Search feature.

xapora

Shiny_Rock
I read somewhere that today only about 1% of the world''s diamonds are conflict diamonds...so chances are your diamond probably isn''t.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results