shape
carat
color
clarity

Conflict free Asscher diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

applegirl

Rough_Rock
Is there really such a thing as a conflict free diamond? Every jeweller I''ve been to has said that they are a member of the Kimberely Process but that it''s impossible to know where the diamond actually comes from. I really want an Asscher cut but none of the Canadian diamond sites I''ve searched have that shape. And then I was reading somewhere that diamonds from other countries often get slipped into the shipments when they are sent elsewhere to be cut, so that even certified Canadian diamonds aren''t always the real thing. I would really like a conflict free Asscher diamond without having to sacrifice quality but I''m beginning to wonder if such a thing exists.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly don''t know about conflict free diamonds but it is realllly hard to find a nice asscher with ne restraints. Let us know if you find any though! Good luck!

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Applegirl,

When we were shopping for stones, I initially insisted on a canadian diamond, being that I believed it gave me the assurance of being conflict-free. We were looking at RB''s, and shopping online in an attempt to broaden our selection, but I found that requesting a Canadian stone greatly reduced our playing field. There were significantly less choices, at a noticeably higher price. Also, as I later learned, not even a diamond branded as canadian provides a 100% guarantee of being conflict-free.

Yours is a very noble goal, and if you can live with a certain degree of uncertainty, I encourage you to continue... however, if you''re looking for an asscher, you are likely to find even fewer choices than I was faced with... and that''s something I might not be able to sacrifice.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats a real long shot.
I know of no asschers being cut from canadian rough.
That dont mean they arent but good asschers are hard enough to find anyway that is seems pretty close to impossible to get.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Consider buying an antique or vintage stone where you''ve got a known history, at least for a while. It narrows down your selection by quite a bit because the antique market isn''t as well organized but there are some lovely stones available where you''ve got some pretty good evidence that they weren''t involved in the current troubles in Africa.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Even though the % of "conflict" stones in circulation is variable and very small at any given time, there are no absolute guarantees when it comes to a diamond''s origin/history. You can only weight the probabilities more in favor of a non-conflict stone by trying to locate "non-conflict" sources. You''re on the right track, and Neil''s suggestion is another good option.

While the Kimberly Process is not fool proof, it is an honest and sincere attempt to curtail the entry of "conflict" diamonds into the market.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results