shape
carat
color
clarity

Conditioner vs Hair Oil

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Anyone who skips conditioner completely and just uses hair oil? I find that sometimes I'm in a rush and don't wash the conditioner out as well as I should leaving it feeling unclean. You would think I would learn over time but it happens more often than I would like to admit. Any downfalls to skipping it and using hair oil? I've heard about products like argan oil and Moroccan oil but wasn't sure if that is more to assist with defrizzing etc... Appreciate any feedback and tips on hair care!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair would never comb out if I didn't use conditioner. I thought you put hair oil on and let it sit for a while
before you wash your hair.

How do you use hair oil @ExplorePS ? From what I'm thinking one is not a substitution for the other.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try a leave-in conditioner that you spray on before you dry your hair. I use hair oil but it doesn't condition. It's supposed to reduce frizz and add shine.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
For what it’s worth, my hair dresser (whom I trust completely, he’s really good) insists on using a hair product, be it conditioner or even better, a hair mask, in the shower. Says it’s far more important for the hair’s health and condition long term.

I personally don’t skip it. I hate my hair without the mask.

But I also use hair oil whenever I don’t use heat protection spray. It just makes it even easier to brush. My hair is long and I like to keep it that way, so every little thing to minimise the damage and tearing from brushing counts.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never used hair oil but my hair is very fine so it would probably go completely limp. I use Theorie conditioner ( found it at Marshall’s) and I love it! My hair is almost to my waist so I need a good conditioner to get through it after showering.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never used hair oil either.
I'm afraid it would make my hair look unwashed.
Like @YadaYadaYada, I have long hair too.
I use Pantene conditioner. Then, when my hair is dry, I work a little bit more through my hair for a smoother look and easier combing.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never used hair oil but my hair is very fine so it would probably go completely limp. I use Theorie conditioner ( found it at Marshall’s) and I love it! My hair is almost to my waist so I need a good conditioner to get through it after showering.

My hair is the same...fine. I can put some oil on the length but not on my scalp area because it would just go flatter than it
already is. I occasionally use oil to "treat" my hair/scalp before getting in the shower and washing it out.

I go through at least 2 bottles of conditioner to every bottle of shampoo.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is the same...fine. I can put some oil on the length but not on my scalp area because it would just go flatter than it
already is. I occasionally use oil to "treat" my hair/scalp before getting in the shower and washing it out.

I go through at least 2 bottles of conditioner to every bottle of shampoo.

Ha. Me too. I keep conditioner stocked because I go through it fast

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
My hair would never comb out if I didn't use conditioner. I thought you put hair oil on and let it sit for a while
before you wash your hair.

How do you use hair oil @ExplorePS ? From what I'm thinking one is not a substitution for the other.

Do you perhaps have curly locks so you can't comb it out if you didn't use conditioner?

I've heard of "hair masks" that is thicker than conditioner where you would put it on for awhile before rinsing it out. I think that is a luxury I just don't need in my life (cost and the time).

This is the product I've used in the past. I would put a dab on my palm, rub it around and then apply on my hair (but not on the ends as it would look oily). To be honest, it seems to be a smooth and shiny as compared to using conditioner. However, I haven't done it long term before (skipping conditioner) so I'm not sure of the long term effects.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never skip conditioner. I don't use oil. But after shampooing and conditioning in the shower, I also use a spray on, leave in, conditioner. I have thick, wavy, colored hair, below my shoulders. It tends to be dry. I've tried oil in the past, but it didn't really condition my hair the same.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
My hair is very dry so I could never skip conditioner. I use a hair mask about every 4th wash (I still use conditioner on top of the mask). I also use a leave in conditioner and I use hair oil (Olaplex) when it's dry before I use my straightener or to scrunch out the gel when I wear it curly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you perhaps have curly locks so you can't comb it out if you didn't use conditioner?

I've heard of "hair masks" that is thicker than conditioner where you would put it on for awhile before rinsing it out. I think that is a luxury I just don't need in my life (cost and the time).

This is the product I've used in the past. I would put a dab on my palm, rub it around and then apply on my hair (but not on the ends as it would look oily). To be honest, it seems to be a smooth and shiny as compared to using conditioner. However, I haven't done it long term before (skipping conditioner) so I'm not sure of the long term effects.

My hair was very straight and fine for most of my life however, when the gray came in it did gain a little bit of wave.

I do put a mask on my hair about every 4-6 weeks.

I didn't realize that there were people who could go without putting conditioner in their hair after washing it to be able to comb
it out. I thought everyone, except maybe those with pretty short hair, needed it so that wouldn't have to tug on their hair to
comb it out. I guess maybe those with stronger straight hair (not fine hair) may not need it. My daughter has strong, thick hair
but hers is curly and she definitely needs lots of conditioner.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never us conditioner or oil on my hair.
IIRC I tried conditioner once, and it felt greasy to me. :knockout:

I use shampoo to lather, rinse, repeat till my hair is squeaky clean.
Then I dry it.

That's how I roll.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results