shape
carat
color
clarity

Compromising on size (...diamond size, that is)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
As I''m ring shopping and setting my budget, I''m trying to decide on stone size. I thought I wanted to go bigger with a 1.5c set in a halo. Now I''m thinking with the settings I like I could pull off a 1c and save quite a bit of money and it should look fine on my finger.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with compromising on stone size...I''d love to hear some success stories!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
How is it compromising if you like the smaller size?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I really just think I''m stuck on the number and how nice it would be to say I have 1.5 carats. (I''ve tried on 2 carats and it actually looks way to big on my fingers) I''m trying to get away from the NUMBER and focus more on the quality I''ll get for the money.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Also, maybe "compromising" isn''t the right word...

I just mean, I''d like to know if anyone thought they wanted a larger stone and ended up falling in love with a smaller stone. I''m worried I may regret not getting a bigger center stone.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't examined the prices lately but a 1.25ct used to sell for only about 10% more than a 1ct and will look plenty bigger haloed. I wanted about a 1.6mm stone to get 7.5mm diameter. But I never found a bargain on one and tired of waiting. What I ended up trading up to is a 1.35ct but F color and 7.2mm diameter. It is in a 6 prong head in a setting with sidestones and it looks like 1.5ct. I think the bright white color makes is look bigger than it would look if, say, it were J color. Nobody would confuse it with a 1 ct.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks HVVS,

I will have to check out some prices. And also compare the stone sizes on my finger!
Glad to hear you were able to find a stone that looks big!
1.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What is your budget? Maybe you could compromise in color or clarity to get the largest stone. You also could put the money from the halo towards a bigger stone and upgrade the setting (or stone) down the road.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Swinggirl,

I''ve considered doing a solitaire for now and adding the more ornate setting later, but I think the perfect setting is more important to me than the stone. I have a small solitaire promise ring in a plain 4-prong setting and I''m so bored with it...it''s just not my style anymore!

We have been looking in the $10-12k range, but I think I would feel much better about spending $8-10k and I think I''d still be happy with the results. The halo settings that I''ve liked the most have been priced at $2-3k, which leaves about $6-7k for a center stone.

I am still examining all my options. (and enjoying the sparkly process)

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t heard of anyone yet who regrets getting the bigger stone... I think people usually regret that they didn''t go bigger in the first place. If you find that you don''t perceive significant difference between 1.5 carats and 1 carat, in terms of size, then why bother with the upgrade? The halo will add substantially to the visual impact of the center stone, so perhaps you are better off with 1 carat.

I''ve never looked at 1 carat compared to 1.5, so I''m not really sure what the visual difference is... but I would spend all my money on the center stone first and worry about a halo or setting later. Just my opinion.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
My own opinion is that if you''re getting a halo, diamond size matters less than if it''s a solitaire - because it''s more about the whole ring, rather than just the diamond. If you''re happy with a 1ct, and don''t think you''ll regret it in the future, don''t feel obligated to get the largest for your money - go with what you think looks best. However if you WANT a larger diamond and can afford it, then go for it!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 3:32:51 AM
Author: LilyKat
My own opinion is that if you're getting a halo, diamond size matters less than if it's a solitaire - because it's more about the whole ring, rather than just the diamond. If you're happy with a 1ct, and don't think you'll regret it in the future, don't feel obligated to get the largest for your money - go with what you think looks best. However if you WANT a larger diamond and can afford it, then go for it!
Ditto. BTW, I can't think of many women who would think "the perfect setting is more important to me than the stone" but to each his own
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results