shape
carat
color
clarity

Comprimise on Clarity or Color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparksfromstatic

Rough_Rock
I am buying diamond stud earrings in a round cut for my wife. Approximately 1.0 ctw. I am trying to get this purchase to fit within my budget and I need a little advice from some people with more experience with diamonds!

I am planning on buying only GIA Exellent or AGSL Ideal Cuts.
36.gif

To get within my budget, I have the following options:

A) Color of I, Clarity of VVS2 or VS1

OR

B) Color range of F-H, Clarity of VS2 or SI1

Is option A or B going to produce more brilliance?

I am looking at an online vendor that matches two diamonds up for you automatically.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sparks for Static!

My vote is for B!
36.gif
36.gif

Of course it really does relate strongly to personal opinion or taste but I feel as though this is the best compromise. I don''t think that you need superior clarity for earrings. VS2 or SI1 is more than sufficient. F - H color will give the diamonds I nice white look as well.

Providing that the VS2 and the SI1 have no major inclusions, which by definition, they should not, my opinion is that B will be the best choice especially given that you have opted to place priority on cut.

Good work! I''m sure that your wife will love them!!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pick would be F/H, VS2/SI1

Neither colour nor clarity will increase the brilliance but the cut will. Since you are looking for rounds, here''s my recommended cut specification:
table 54-57%
depth 60-62%
crown angle 34-35
pavilion angle 40.7 to 41
polish and symmetry should be at least very good to excellent

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definetly B. I recently purchased .80 ctw studs (ideal cut) and had to make the same choice and chose F SI1s and they''re gorgeous and completely eye clean.

I''m very color sensitive and found that looking at diamonds in jewerly stores beforehand helped me decide to go with colorless stones rather than with I stones. It''s very much about personal preference though, so you should look for yourself.

Good luck!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Color does not affect brilliance. Clarity would affect brilliance only if there were inclusions that were substantially affecting light performance, maybe clouds or lots of inclusions.

For earrings, you don''t need a high clarity - social viewing distance and the relative size of the stones probably don''t call for VS clarity, in my opinion.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither A nor B will have better brilliance if the cut qualities are equal. Having said that, I''d choose B because color is something you can detect moreso than inclusions at those grades.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
When I got engaged the first time in 1981 I selected an I VVS1 stone. It was beautiful [probably still is, LOL!, I traded itiin against my 6.39 carat!].

If I were to do it over again I would sacrifice on the clarity [to VS2}.

ETA My sweet spot now is F VS2.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 2:39:02 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Neither A nor B will have better brilliance if the cut qualities are equal. Having said that, I''d choose B because color is something you can detect moreso than inclusions at those grades.
I agree. I''m comfortable with an SI1 or SI2 clarity as long as they are eye clean, but will pay for higher color because I can see that. My personal sweet spot for earrings would be F/G and SI1-2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results