shape
carat
color
clarity

Compost Tips

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
In the past year, I have decided to make a real impact on the environment in my small way. This included very actively recycling all paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, and metals. With this, our weekly garbage was cut in half.

I now want to cut my garbage in half yet again, and have decided to start composting our kitchen scraps and yard debris.

Anyone have any tips for successful composting?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
your local county will have info. also a lot of info online.

santa cruz county has a ....and the people into worms have a lot of info too.

i''ve been doing it for years but what works for one isn''t necessarily what another wants to do.

good luck. its a worthy effort and not that hard to do. mother nature does the real work.

movie zombie

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a fairly new composter myself. This is my second year in my house and second year at composting, so I''m still learing too.

Do you intend to reuse the compost for gardening purposes? If so, that might factor into what type of composter you get or set up on your own. Last year, my town was giving away composters to residents on Earth Day, so I have something like this model (but I don''t have a baseplate):

Basic

I do not turn mine very often, and I had plenty of nice compost to add to my garden this year. Though, now that I''ve had a bit of experience and if I were buying one on my own, I would prefer one that turns like this (but, I would never spend this much money, honestly):

Tumbler

I think we''ve generally followed this layering method, which is why we have not had to turn it very much.

Layering Method

You could also make your own bins, or just start a compost pile (I think if it will be comprised mainly of outdoor materials.)

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
First you need to establish how much stuff will you have to compost? That should help you decide on the bin size or perhaps built the bins yourself. Is it a hobby or do you need the composting material?
How much time do you have ? (bit of work involved depending on the bin you choose)
The bigger the bin the higher temperature and that''s what you want.
I can help you out so just let me know a bit more like what''s the purpose, where are you located (re-temperatures?)
Its easy, its fun and yes you will make a great positive impact on our Mother Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results