shape
carat
color
clarity

comparing gem color in different websites

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that there have been some threads about vendor pictures side-by-side with PS-ers photos of the same stones but since I am not so familiar with most vendors I''d like to know how close "colors" in photos resemble colors IRL.

I had some experience with Pala - it seems their stones are darker IRL and one has to rely on their own opinion. This being said, they provide quite accurate descriptions of their material. Also, from their photographs you can very well see how much extinction you can expect in real life.

I have a couple of stones from Africagems but it seems that the real color matches to what can be seen in pictures. Since they were spessartines, I found some extinctions that I did not see in pictures. Not much, though.

Gary Brown''s CC garnet is much better IRL than in his pics, but I think it is because you can not see the sparkle in pictures. In general, colors are very close to RL.

Gene Flanigan''s ruby: in general, very close to what I saw IRL. Much more sparkle than in pictures. Some areas of extinction for which I can not blame him because he carved a relatively large stone from "scrapings" for me and per my request. I would trust his pictures.

Swala: RL color is brighter than in Eric''s photographs. Black areas are not seen but the color is definitely not photoshopped. In fact, bleaker than in life. If in the future I see a color there that I like, I''ll definitely try to buy it (if I can because everything gets "snatched" or reserved). I had a different problem with his stone but I had discussed it before. I am planning to set it.

Tried to browse Planetary Gems and got absolutely no idea about true quality of their sapphires. Nada. They mention "Kashmir blue" color (and who doesn''t!) but I can not compare their stones because I do not know if they are brighter or darker IRL.

Same with other websites. Since I saw a lot of BB''s photographs done by PS-ers I should probably trust his website. Never bought from him though.

Any feedback about other websites? I am looking for a blue sapphire (which is difficult to photograph, I know) but open to other stones as well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK what follows is just my personal opinion, based on my limited experience.

Most sites seem to show photos that are lighter than what you see IRL.

Barry's photos are only a tiny tiny bit lighter than the stones and the photos show his faceting and inclusions very clearly.

Dana at Master Cut Gems has photos that show the stone a bit darker than they seem to be as well as showing the faceting poorly. Faceting is much nicer IRL.

I've found the thread about vendor photos/PSer photos very helpful in selecting my gems!

HTH

Edited for spelling
20.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest problem is getting an opinion about gems that are shot "on the mirror", you know, this rotating glass. I wonder if the light comes from several directions because they sparkle very much and I have no idea how they would look under normal light.
I would not ask this question if I did not have a problem with returning things. It takes me about 2 hours since there is no post office close to my house and the closest one has an hour long crowd on days that I can go there. If it is a different country it becomes even more difficult.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never bought anything shown on one of those rotating mirrors. I think they show the stone in a way that you will NEVER see it IRL. I stick with PS Vendors or vendors that other PSers have used. Locally there are no good stones unless I drive 60 minutes and they are expensive.

Again check out that Vendor/PSer IRL photos thread in Colored Stones. I found it helpful.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
From the vendor perspective it is almost impossible to get the photos to look exactly the same as in real life with color stones. The best you can hope for is a close approximation. The main reason is the palette range of a digital camera and a computer screen is significantly less than your eye. The depth is also significantly less. The best you can hope for is an image that is close and a vendor with a good return policy.

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results