shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing diamond colors before purchasing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone, but it honestly baffles me why those who intend to buy diamonds ask for opinions on the internet regarding diamond colors without viewing them in person. Seems the I and J color stones are presented most often as questionable colors. Often asked: "Are they too "yellow," "too warm," or face up fabulously white when well-cut?" "Should going down in size and getting a more colorless stone be a better choice?" "Can anyone honestly tell the difference between a G or H vs. and I or J." and more. . .

Please tell me I''m missing something or are people truely spending $5,000, $10,000 or even $20,000 on stones without looking and comparing colors in person?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Seems like a fair question to me.

I have defined myself as being quite color conscious ... much to my chagrin!
20.gif

I would love to be able go lower in color in order to get a larger stone ... but I just can''t do it. I notice the subtle difference in the color too much and it would bother me.

Having been strictly B&M so far, I had the opportunity to see several stones all together and select which ones I liked best. I always chose the stones in the D - F range b/c I found the ones G - I to look too noticeably different for my liking.

I think that what fellow PSers have had to share about superior cuts enabling the stones to face up whiter is true but, unfortunately, I have not had the chance to do actually see any for myself yet. I really would like the chance to experience this in person though so that, for future diamond purchases, I may be able to buy online and have a better idea as to what I - J "looks" like.

Maybe it''s not fair to compare similarly cut & same clarity "ideal" diamonds all together, differentiating by color. Maybe they should all be looked at individually so that someone can see that particular stone for all its beauty as opposed to comparing it to another higher or lower color stone. I''m sure that, when looked at individually for its own virtue, that a G or H stone, for example may look quite white, however, when compared to D - F, it naturally wouldn''t because those stones are whiter.

It''s an interesting topic. Thanks for asking this thought provoking question.

What is your opinion? Would you define yourself as someone who is color conscious or not so much?
21.gif

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not $20k, but sure. One problem about viewing diamonds in person, is that local brick & mortar establishments are notorious for having mis-graded diamonds. This depends on having either less-reliable grading labs for their certs, or only in-house grading. So, what is called an "I" or a "J" at ACME Jewelry in your local mall may not be an "I" or "J" according to a stricter AGS or GIA standard. Also, a superbly well-cut diamond with a lower color will look more visually pleasing (and, yes, "more white") than a poorly-cut diamond. Many people simply do not have access to reliably well-cut diamonds for the same reasons above.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 2:07:38 PM
Author: milton333

One problem about viewing diamonds in person, is that local brick & mortar establishments are notorious for having mis-graded diamonds. This depends on having either less-reliable grading labs for their certs, or only in-house grading. So, what is called an ''I'' or a ''J'' at ACME Jewelry in your local mall may not be an ''I'' or ''J'' according to a stricter AGS or GIA standard. Also, a superbly well-cut diamond with a lower color will look more visually pleasing (and, yes, ''more white'') than a poorly-cut diamond. Many people simply do not have access to reliably well-cut diamonds for the same reasons above.
Absolutely right. People are often astonished at how ''white'' a well-cut, strictly graded diamond can face-up compared to diamonds in common commercial markets. To people who are not viewing AGS/GIA graded diamonds of premium cut the feedback here may seem optimistic.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2007 2:04:33 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Seems like a fair question to me.

I have defined myself as being quite color conscious ... much to my chagrin!
20.gif

I would love to be able go lower in color in order to get a larger stone ... but I just can't do it. I notice the subtle difference in the color too much and it would bother me.

Having been strictly B&M so far, I had the opportunity to see several stones all together and select which ones I liked best. I always chose the stones in the D - F range b/c I found the ones G - I to look too noticeably different for my liking.

I think that what fellow PSers have had to share about superior cuts enabling the stones to face up whiter is true but, unfortunately, I have not had the chance to do actually see any for myself yet. I really would like the chance to experience this in person though so that, for future diamond purchases, I may be able to buy online and have a better idea as to what I - J 'looks' like.

Maybe it's not fair to compare similarly cut & same clarity 'ideal' diamonds all together, differentiating by color. Maybe they should all be looked at individually so that someone can see that particular stone for all its beauty as opposed to comparing it to another higher or lower color stone. I'm sure that, when looked at individually for its own virtue, that a G or H stone, for example may look quite white, however, when compared to D - F, it naturally wouldn't because those stones are whiter.

It's an interesting topic. Thanks for asking this thought provoking question.

What is your opinion? Would you define yourself as someone who is color conscious or not so much?
21.gif
Yep, actually after purchasing an E color stone and comparing it to my G, it became apparently that I'm more sensitive to color. Before I could see the slight warmth in my G, but now, compared to my E, there is an obvious hint of warmth from the top view. The E is SO white though, that it scares me. lol It's cool chilled ice & it's crossed my mind that it may even appear to look like a CZ to some individuals simply because it's more common to see lower color stones!

Here on Pricescope, there is almost a Cult of I and J colored stone lovers, which prompted me to ask this question since there's STRONG support of buying lower color and going bigger, yet very little comments regarding one looking for themself. I am finding myself more and more inclined to comment that a person should look rather than take our opinions as basis for what color(s) to buy.
2.gif

Milton - You're so right that it's hard to find ideal cut stones for comparison, *but* many stores do have AGS000 stones if you ask for them! I've noticed crummy looking stones in the showcases at HUGE markups, and what gets me, is if I ASK for a well-cut, AGS stone, (and this has happened a number of times) the sales person will pull out an inventory list and quote a better color/clarity/cut stone than the one in the showcase at a LOWER price. The best stones are there for those who ask. It's interested that this has happened at Ben Bridge whenever I go in there. (But, I do agree with you, that asking here is better than nothing. ALL of my diamond knowledge has been aquired since joining PS and this board is very much appreciated by me. . .but still, I'm glad I did have the opportunity to judge for myself what color range is more to my liking.)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Any REPUTABLE B&M will have a variety of GIA-graded stones for people to view in various color grades. I think it''s extremely important for a woman to see the cut she wants in many shades in person.

Because my diamond is not only a step cut, but also a fancy shape, I knew buying online wasn''t an option. I had a bunch of asschers shipped in to several different jewellers that ranged from D to H. Once I saw a comparison in person, I knew I was very color sensitive. I chose an F, but I think if I were to do it over again, I''d get an E.

Some women love color, though, so that''s equally imporant to know. Shoot, some ladies don''t want a J that faces up white! :)

I think it''s just as important for the woman to see it in person as the man--it''s too much money to just "hope".

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear ya MC, it is baffling that one would not check out different colors before settling on a range to target. However, I will say....have you noticed that it is VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to differentiate nuances in colors under typical jewelry store lights? I mean, seriously impossible. So that might have something to do with it...unless they're walking over to a window with different stones to really look at them!

ETA: I went into Ben Bridge once and asked to see their set of color standards...under those lights it was still almost impossible to see any difference till you looked at the D and the I!!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
I also think that a lot of people who ask for color opinions on here are: (1) men asking for women's opinions to back-up/bolster/second-guess the asker's own observations (as if men and women might perceive color differently), and/or (2) asking about what the color is actually like to live with, day-in and day-out. I.e., even if you've seen it in person, you've seen it for a short period of time in the rarified atmosphere of a jewelry store. I think there's a value to asking about people's long-term experiences with I and J colored stones in a variety of environments. Because there's a strong, dare I say, "prejudice" against buying a lower color grade diamond, some people may need re-assurance that they're not making a big mistake and buying an ugly, dirty-colored diamond, from people who have lived with them.

ETA: Also, not everyone has access to, or any idea how to define, what is a "reputable" jeweler. Lots of people who find their way here have a family jeweler, a friend of a friend, etc., who seems to be passing off poorer-quality diamonds, getting upset when they ask about the certification, charging exorbitant prices, etc. Geez, my husband's family thinks of Kay Jewelers as their reliable "family" jeweler, and buy everything from there. Not that Kay's only sells junk, but the sales staff largely just transferred in from The Gap, they generally do not have or do not want to produce lab certs, and on and on.

Moreover, most of us don't live near NYC's diamond district. Some of us live rural enough not to have a jeweler with any kind of selection.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I know, my mom buys from a jeweller like that and it kills me, I''m hoping to get her an ideal-cut diamond pendant so she can really see the difference herself. I don''t have the heart to tell her that her stones are terribly-cut and badly included
7.gif

You''re right, reputable B&Ms are few and far between in some areas (like my parents, who live in a very rural area) and it is easier for those of us who live in large cities where many jewelry stores don''t carry IGI stones. I''m willing to bet, though, that many live within a couple hours'' drive of a jewelry store that carries GIA and AGS graded stones, they just have to do enough research to know that those are the certifications they should be looking for. In general, people don''t really care about the certification of their stones. As my mom says "honey, it sparkles and I like it, so who cares!"

You just can''t reason with people like that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results