carat
color
clarity

Companies who Donated to Sponsors of the Texas Abortion bill

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I thought I would post some of the names of the companies that gave money to the sponsors of this abortion bill. I cannot remember all of them, but here is what I do remember.

The largest contributor--AT&T 300,000
Comcast
Chevron
Berkshire Hathaway
State Farm
CVS Health
United Health Group
Charter Communications
Union Pacific

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The companies that are staying quiet are just as guilty as the ones supporting the anti abortion anti choice bill in Texas.

Here are the companies who are fighting back.

"as of Tuesday afternoon, only a handful of companies have spoken out against the law. Corporate America has mostly remained silent, despite its vocal opposition to Texas’s restrictive voting bill that was signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott (R) Tuesday."

"
GoDaddy isn't the only business to take action in the wake of the new legislation.
Ridehail companies Lyft and Uber said Friday they would cover legal fees for their drivers who are sued as a result of the new legislation. Citizens can sue abortion providers for alleged violations, and plaintiffs will receive $10,000 from the accused if successful. The law also impacts anyone who "aids or abets" an abortion, which could potentially include a driver who unknowingly drove a woman to an abortion clinic. Lyft also said it would donate $1 million to Planned Parenthood.

Dating apps Bumble and Match said Friday they would create a relief fund for people affected by the law. Both are based in Texas.
"Bumble is women-founded and women-led, and from day one we've stood up for the most vulnerable. We'll keep fighting against regressive laws," Bumble tweeted."

Companies staying quiet (GUILTY just as if they were supporting the Bill IMO)

"
Other big companies appear to be sitting the issue out, including American Airlines, AT&T, Exxon, 7-Eleven, Valero, Dell Technologies, and Oracle, all of which are headquartered in Texas. The same goes for Apple and Tesla, both of which have expanded operations in the state.

Some companies funded candidates who supported the abortion bill. According to the women’s activist group UltraViolet, sponsors of the legislation received donations from AT&T, Chevron, Charter Communications, and Berkshire Hathaway, among others.

"

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.53.47 AM.png
From 2020 to 2021, dozens of companies in the top tier of the Fortune 500 funneled $5.9 million into the campaigns of Texas lawmakers who sponsored or cosponsored Senate Bill 8, according to research by UltraViolet, a group that advocates against sexism in politics and culture.

"
The seven largest of those 86 donors, which range from Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate to oil company Chevron, made up nearly $1.1 million of the total. Dallas-based AT&T dug the deepest, doling out $291,042 to sponsors and co-sponsors of the legislation, which effectively bans abortion at six weeks — even in cases of rape and incest.

“Consumers have a lot of power here,” said Sonja Spoo, director of reproductive rights campaigns for UltraViolet. “They have a lot of options when it comes to letting these corporations know that they’re aware where their dollars are going.”

Those outraged about SB 8’s passage can send a strong signal by contacting companies that funded the law’s backers and asking executives to cut off the flow of cash, Spoo said. Consumers can also cancel services with those firms or boycott their products.

If someone chooses the latter option, Spoo said the decision will have the biggest impact if they reach out to the company and be specific about the reason they’re no longer willing to do business with them.

bigspendersantiabortiontexasbill.jpg

AT&T’s agenda

Due to the scope of its campaign contributions, UltraViolet specifically targeted AT&T prior to the passage of SB 8 and asked — to no avail — to meet and discuss its political spending. Meanwhile, the advocacy group has posted an online petition asking the company to stop donating to politicians who support abortion bans.

The petition is accessible at act.weareultraviolet.org/sign/HB1515_ATT/.

UltraViolet’s numbers show that AT&T’s massive contributions to the Texas Legislature over the past two years were heavily skewed toward anti-abortion lawmakers, including Republican State Sens. Jane Nelson, Bryan Hughes and Larry Taylor, whom Spoo accused of pushing a “radical, anti-woman agenda.”

The telecom provider, which employs tens of thousands of people in Texas, didn’t respond to the Current’s request for comment.

“While AT&T may say that there’s a business justification for making those contributions, those same people are passing laws that directly harm their workers’ and consumers’ livelihoods and bodily autonomy,” Spoo said. “That legislative lineage cannot be ignored.”

Speaking with cash

The cancellation of cell phone contracts over Texas’ abortion law may not seem like much to a company that reported global revenues of $172 billion last year. But Spoo said polling shows that younger consumers in particular give weight to a company’s political stance when making buying decisions.

About two-thirds of millennials say they have boycotted a brand that took the opposing stance on an issue they feel strongly about, and 62% favor products that align with their political and social beliefs, according to a 2020 survey by New York-based public relations firm 5WPR.

Pulling back the curtain on AT&T’s political contributions could also harm its ability to recruit workers. The company has long prided itself on workforce diversity, and critics point out that Texas’ abortion ban will likely have the most profound effect on women of color.

Polling also suggests abortion rights play into peoples’ expectations about their employers.

A 2018 survey by NARAL Pro-Choice America and The Harris Poll found that 67% of Americans said it’s at least somewhat important for their employer to take a stand on reproductive freedom. About 1 in 4 in the survey said it’s extremely important.

Spoo said she hopes UltraViolet’s research helps both consumers and job seekers make informed decisions as Texas cuts off reproductive health choices for its residents.

“All of this is about educating people so they can make the best choices with their dollars,” she said.

"

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ugh. So may of these companies have a monopoly, making it near impossible for people to boycott them. AT&T is basically the only decent wireless provider where I live, I already own every freaking Apple gadget, and DH's company chooses the healthcare company and therefore the pharmacy. I could complain to corporate, but contracts are already signed for next year. :x2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I wonder if publishing this info will help these companies more than hurt them , tho. Lots of people are silent supporters.

Those people can easily find out who is supporting anti choice and donate as they see fit. Being silent about this is, IMO, the worst thing we can do. We have to fight back with whatever tools we have. Donate money, time, energy and be vocal about it. I do not believe the majority of people are anti choice. I posted a Gallup poll a few posts back showing how many support pro choice vs anti choice.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Those people can easily find out who is supporting anti choice and donate as they see fit. Being silent about this is, IMO, the worst thing we can do. We have to fight back with whatever tools we have. Donate money, time, energy and be vocal about it. I do not believe the majority of people are anti choice. I posted a Gallup poll a few posts back showing how many support pro choice vs anti choice.

A piece in support of speaking out in this moment. Thought you might like it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A piece in support of speaking out in this moment. Thought you might like it.

Thank you. This is profoundly true.

"Whenever our world has lost its way and lost its humanity and succumbed to terror, it has happened when people of decency and compassion refused to raise their voices, when they believed the lie that their silence was of no consequence, when they became saddened but complicit spectators.

In these days it is not enough to be good. You must be both good and loud.

You must risk the slings and arrows of both strangers and of siblings, and speak directly into the bloated, contorted face of hatred until it hears you and cannot ignore you.

Yes these are dark days, but they needn’t be so dark.

You would bring the dawn if you would open up your mouth and bring forth light.

Raise your voice, and Hell along with it.

Speak Justice and Equality and Unity until they can be heard above the crackling, hissing din of fear and violence.

So don’t let silence be your greatest sin.

We have many good people.

We have many loud people.

We desperately need more people who are both.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results